I looking for people with their own 4wd to gunbarrel highway

Submitted: Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 19:40
ThreadID: 129616 Views:2549 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,

My name's Axel, I have my own 4wd.
I planned to go to Perth between September or October.
I'd like to start in Melbourne till Perth

The first step will be Melbourne to Finders national park (about 1200 km )

Then Finders national park, we'll be able to cross through Oodnadatta track.( about 600 km, from Maree to Marla)

Then we going to Alice spring.
I'd like to see Palm valley, Kings canyon, Uluru and Kata Tjuta.( about 700 km, from Alice spring to Kata Tjuta )

Then, I planned to cross through the great central road till Warburton. Either, we can keep going on the great central road or we can takeGunbarrel highway.(about 1400 km of track, from Kata Tjuta to Wiluna )

The last step will be Perth. ( about 1000 km )

We requires total self-sufficiency in water and fuel and careful preparation cause we'll cross through remote area.

So I looking for some people who they have their own 4wd (cause it's more safe to be in convoy ). If you have planned to go to Perth, it would be great to make this way together
I have one seat available in my car.
If you are in the north in Australia, we still can meet in Alice spring.

If you want to know more , let me know.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 19:46

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 19:46
Good trip, and yes you need good planning and preparation, plus you should carry some sort of emergency comms, preferably a sat phone (hire), but at least a PLB.

You will need some permits, so just explore this properly, and write for permits early so you have them before departure.
AnswerID: 588186

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Saturday, Aug 01, 2015 at 08:22

Saturday, Aug 01, 2015 at 08:22
Hi, we are looking for travel companions to travel the gun barrel highway about the 10th September , we will be departing Ayres rock then to travel to Warburton then the gun barrel. We are self sufficient towing an Aussie swag camper, with sat phone. I will be posting this soon as a main thread .cheers Judy and Laurie
AnswerID: 588198

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Aug 01, 2015 at 17:34

Saturday, Aug 01, 2015 at 17:34
We travelled through there last year and had a ball, there are some great spots through the Gunbarrel and a great spot to Camp at "Camp Beadell" and a really good information bay at the base of Len's Theodolite.

The track is reasonable with a few washouts but that was part of the adventure. Warburton is pretty much the last place to fuel up but I wouldn't recommend camping there.

Here is the link for the free travel permits http://permits.daa.wa.gov.au/travelpermits/

as mentioned make sure you have some comms on board such as a HF or Sat Phone as it is very remote

fantastic trip you have ahead of you - enjoy

cheers
AnswerID: 588205

Sponsored Links