Far west wild life warning

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 13:27
ThreadID: 129857 Views:2737 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
yesterday I hit a emu just out of Broken Hill . 20 ks out onAdelaide road

lucky no damage I was doing 100 ks an hour just , out of town and it ran into the side of the car this one came from no where I did not see it

I rang local police to come put the animal down and waited for them to arrive

I had just put a new battery in and was just charging it up with a short run out of town

local police said the entire area is very bad lots of wild life roo emus goats sheep all looking for food

so if you are heading up this way in the next few months just take care

it can be a expensive trip if you hit something
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 14:00

Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 14:00
Hi Allein,
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter with the emu. We travelled in the Tibooburra, White Cliffs, Wilcannia area this time last year. Travelling prior to about 9:30 am was a nightmare. Kangaroos everywhere with the added danger of emus. We took the utmost care and fortunately had no encounters but it was particularly dangerous. We found that 90 % of the kangaroos would tend to steer away from the vehicle but probably 100% of the emus will head straight for the vehicle. You really had to stop to allow the emu to run in front of you. The feral goat issue on the Barrier Highway from Wilcannia to Cobar presents problems as well. Nevertheless the goats seem to be able to graze the edges of the roads and virtually ignore to passing traffic. Nevertheless great care is required.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588841

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 19:49

Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 19:49
Those goats are rife on the Kidman Way heading up from Griffith through Cobar too. Like you say they just seem to ignore the traffic, but having them grazing right next to the road like that sure makes you nervous...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 856653

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Aug 05, 2015 at 09:09

Wednesday, Aug 05, 2015 at 09:09
on land line little while back they said the wild goats have help many far west farmers to pay for there kids education

we did have a place the killed and process the meat for export in Broken Hill but that closed so I am not sure where they go now

I have lived in Broken Hill for just over ten year and so far I have hit 2 roos and 1 emu a number of foxes closes calls far to many to remember

it has always been bad here but some time it get even worse but the lack of green grass and the drought hitting hard that make there life even harder

the thing is it is the ones that do not see are the ones that hit the car and like a mate said they just decided to go and just run into the oncoming traffic

And there seem to this consistent rummer about NSW banning bull bars on all car and trucks they had a huge blitz few months back on all old style bars ,may a drive in there own cars from Broken Hill to Mildura might help they understand why we need them

FollowupID: 856670

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Aug 05, 2015 at 13:14

Wednesday, Aug 05, 2015 at 13:14
one thing I can say is I finally was able to use the traction control which was on and ABS brake system and I can say totally unreal

I would say thing s could have been a lot worse with out them I did put the brakes on full and I going to make sure when I go out of town from now on that the traction control is on

I think it saved me
AnswerID: 588881

Sponsored Links