Visiting Kings Canyon NP

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 16:09
ThreadID: 129916 Views:2193 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, the brother and I are travelling from Mackay via the Simpson Desert to visit the MacDonnell Rangers in two weeks time. We'll be checking out Kings Canyon area and I'm looking for some info on some camping areas around there. We will be travelling in a cruiser Ute with a canopy, and we don't mind camping in the swags, just was wondering if there is any good places to camp at. Or are the tourists only confined to the resorts, and if so which ones are the best value. Any information would be taken on board. Thanks Ray J.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 19:07

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 19:07
We liked Kings Ck Station, approx. 30km from the canyon. Owned by a local pastoralists who is well connected to local communities. The resort looked nice, but similar to the one at Uluru, we were after something different having just come from Uluru.
You will find quite a few threads asking the identical question if you do a search.
AnswerID: 589018

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 19:31

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 19:31
Thanks Mark. Will check it out over all the threads, as well as a look on Google to see if any info is on it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 856826

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 23:35

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 23:35
With no "free camping" close by Raymond, the options, with similar prices, are:

Kings Canyon Resort campground is a pleasant fully serviced campground, ideally situated to enjoy sunset views to the George Gill Ranges.Kings Canyon Resort is owned by the international company Delaware North Companies Parks and Resorts.

Kings Creek Station offers an outback experience with rustic style of camping. Campfires are permitted. They conduct camel and quad bike safaris on the station, and a choice helicopter rides over the station, over the George Gill Ranges and Kings Canyon, or as far as other tourist attractions in the area. Profits go towards their charity "Conways Kids".

Choice according to the type of camping you prefer. Contact me by MM if you would like more details, including distances and costs, as well as details about the Kings Canyon walks. The rim walk was our favourite walk in Central Australia.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 589030

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 18:42

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 18:42
Hi Motherhen, Thanks for the info on Kings canyon I will check it out on google. Kings Canyon Station looks like a good place to visit. After leaving Kings Canyon we'll be heading up to the West MacDonnalls via Palm Valley. Thanks again Ray.J.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 856987

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 20:39

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 20:39
If you Google "Where to stay to visit Kings Canyon - Kings Canyon Resort or Kings Creek Station?" with the quotation marks, you will find the page Raymond. If you find it, look at Q28 for the Mereenie Loop to Palm Valley.Palm Valley is lovely.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856991

Reply By: Member - rooster350 - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 09:25

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 09:25
It is some years since we were there, but I do recall a free camping area some kilometers south from the canyon on the right hand side heading north, it has a name but I cannot recall what it is , it could be listed in CAW...cheers
AnswerID: 589040

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 00:00
Are you talking about the lookout to the ranges towards the end of the Mereenie Loop before the National Park starts Rooster? It is called Ginty's Lookout in the trek notes here. There is no authorised camping along the Mereenie Loop.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856881

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 00:15

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 00:15
Apologies Rooster, I see you have said south, whereas the Lookout is north.

There is a pleasant rest area where many camp amongst some desert oaks along Luritja Road, 20 kilometres south of the Ernest Giles Road junction and probably about the same distance north of the Lasseter Highway. With Google maps abandoning their classic view, maps I had saved have lost their waypoints and the distances between these, but this rest area would be over 100 kilometres from Kings Canyon.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856882

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 18:46

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 18:46
Hi Rooster 350. We'll be coming in from the south after looking at Ayres Rock and keep a lookout for the camp site. Thanks Ray J.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 856988

Sponsored Links