barcaldine to charters towers advice

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 06:32
ThreadID: 129970 Views:4019 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
One of our legs of a trip coming up is barcaldine to charters towers. I was planning on going via aramac torrens creek rd but not sure if more reliable to go through muttaburra to hughenden to charters.
My concerns are if there is any rain (will be going early Oct) which road is safer to do?
Regarding rest stops, are there any shaded areas on either of the roads as I dont have an awning, though contemplating getting one.
Will be travelling with wife and 2 young kids so might need to stop twice.
Thoughts?
PS. Will be a single day drive.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:34

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:34
If there's been rain about about, Shmick, definitely DON'T go via Muttaburra, to Hughenden.Aramac to Torrens Creek is all bitumen except for last 30 kms. Think most of that section is on red country so can handle a bit of rain.

At White Mountain N/Park, there's 2 rest stops with shelter sheds. The one closer to Torrens Ck has toilets as well, plus full Telstra signal as a bonus(??).

There's also a big rest area, with toilets, at Campaspe River, I think. Pentland has good, clean toilets next to community hall, just off the highway, and there's plenty of shade there too, if the kids needed to run around.

If there has been a lot of rain about, best to travel to Winton(cheapest fuel in Central Qld), then up to Hughenden. That route is all 2 lane bitumen.

Safe travels,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589176

Follow Up By: brianH - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:25

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:25
Hi Shmick If aramac road is flooded or impassable it will be closed off with signs either end or designated 4wd only. The 30 kms unsealed is usually in fair order and saves a fair bit of travel going to charters than either by winton / hughenden or emerald.I usally ring the publican at torrens creek or Queensland roads on 131940.
If the verges are not mown it pays to keep a very good lookout for animals.safe travelling,Brian
FollowupID: 857016

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 18:34

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 18:34
I drove the Aramac to Torrens Creek Rd in early October last year and it was a doddle, although there hadn't been any rain. Even if there is, as the previous posters have said it is only a short stretch of dirt and a bit of rain shouldn't hurt it. The road is in very good condition.

I actually remember it being more than 30kms of dirt, but that's likely just my dodgy memory. To be honest I was freaking out for most of it because I didn't think to fill up when I went through Aramac, and I wasn't sure if I had enough fuel to get to Torrens Creek. Thanks to my emergency 5L jerrycan I did make it, but I was fair dinkum running on vapour and while I was impressed by my precise judgement, the missus was most definitely not!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589196

Reply By: shmick - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 22:30

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 22:30
Thanks for the helpful info guys. for some reason i thought muttaburra to hughenden was in better knick, ill stick to aramac torrens creek.

tommo, or any one really, can you recall any shaded rest stops between aramac and torrens creek? this is the longest stretch and will most likely need to stop in this section. looking at google maps earth, there looks to be a turn off for what looks like a rest stop but hard to make out. might have to go over it again. or consult wikicamps.

maybe ill stop being a fish bum and pay up for that awning. might have to break it to the wife she has to sacrifice a night at one of the many expensive coastal resorts to pay for shade.

thanks again guys.
AnswerID: 589211

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:42

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:42
Long stretch ? Barcy to Aramac 65km ,, Aramac to Torrens creek road turnoff 30 km , then 260 km fast asphalt to the last 30km of dirt to Torrens Creek , ……
FollowupID: 857050

Follow Up By: shmick - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:24

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:24
according to gmaps its 5:18 from barcaldine to torrens creek (337km). assuming it takes that long id need to stop before torrens creek to feed fat bastard. hopefully gmaps is wrong and i can stop at torrens creek, white mountain or pentland as bob y mentioned.
I guess when you break it down like that and considering its paved for most of it, no problem. thanks
FollowupID: 857053

Sponsored Links