Comment: Winton to Longreach

23 Aug 2015 Has anyone done this trek and able to give a report of experience etc. Would be looking to go in the next two or so weeks. Prue G
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob J8 - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 21:39

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 21:39
No trek Prue, only a couple of hundred km's on the tar, but no servos in between
AnswerID: 589582

Follow Up By: Member - prue g - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:30

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:30
To Rob & Robyn. thanks for your replies. I was referring to http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/OutbackQLD/Winton_to_Longreach.aspx#rqc_tabs=2 which takes one out through Vergamont & Maynside ruins. Yes, it is grim out here and the dead kangaroos are incredible. We are station sitting 90 ks out of Longreach for a couple of weeks so are living in it and giving a hand. After this we will certainly be doing the tourist sights at Longreach and Winton as you suggested. Cheers, Prue

FollowupID: 857488

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 21:42

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 21:42
Apart from where to go and what to see, the best advice I can start with is watch out for the roos.
It's very very dry out there. The only green grass is a tiny sliver along the edge of the road and of course the roos head for it. Over a 30km stretch, I counted over 130 dead roos (some had been there longer than others).

We love western Qld and have stayed at Winton 3x and Longreach 2x on our way through to other destinations. Both times were at the caravan parks and we had good experiences.

Qantas Museum and Stockman's Hall of Fame are both fascinating. I haven't done the Age of Dinosaurs yet. There's stagecoach rides and trips along the river... We could do about 4 days there.

Winton has lost a huge chunk of its tourism dollar with the recent fire in the Waltzing Matilda Centre. Lark Quarry was a bit late re-opening for this season but is now open and worth the drive. Dirt road but a 2WD would do it.
The pub on the corner (forget its name) had damn good meals. The bakers are good too.

Things are very rough in the outback so take your compassion with you and don't fill up too much of your travelling pantry before you leave home. Spend what you can out there and enjoy yourself. You can see the change in the colour of the paddocks as you get further and further past Augathella and it's particularly dry out on that stretch.

:)
AnswerID: 589583

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 07:55

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 07:55
Age of Dinosaurs Museum is well worth the visit, about 20 ks out of Winton! Good road all the way in.
FollowupID: 857481

Follow Up By: Zippo - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:56

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:56
Tatt's Pub in Winton is the go for decent pub food.
FollowupID: 857493

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 13:33

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 13:33
The Winton Hotel, up near the water tower, also has excellent meals.........Outback Chicken, Barra Delight, Seafood Basket, Pork Chops(large) etc etc.

Tatts has great atmosphere and Paul is a great host.

Don't make a choice, stay 2 nights......or more! :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 857496

Follow Up By: OBJ - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 15:13

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 15:13
And while in Winton, you must go into Searle's and buy something/anything. It's a real mish mash of a shop and the old fella there knows exactly where everything is. And he is a nice bloke. Don't see shops like this anymore. They are too tidy .. his isn't. :)
FollowupID: 857498

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 16:23

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 16:23
Absolutely OBJ,
Old Bernie Searle is a true Gentleman, I have come across items in the shop that still had the price tag in pounds, shillings and pence.

Stu
FollowupID: 857539

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:52

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:52
Hi Prue,

I have to agree re the roos.
The road kill was so bad about 4 weeks ago, we ended up winding the windows
up to stop the smell. Longreach to Barcaldine was as bad, if not worse.
Otherwise an easy drive.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589594

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 13:59

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 13:59
Prue,

Is this the trek you're thinking of?

Was on the section from about Lark Quarry to Winton, 10 days ago. There's 50-60kms of bitumen in sections, and the remainder is "drive to conditions" type gravel. About 80kph is comfortable, or more if you're happy.

Vergemont road west of Longreach, is a council maintained road, and as such may be quite good. A lot depends on number of road trains that have used it recently. It may be a bit powdered up, and even bull dusty once you reach the red country. Some bitumen sections west of Longreach, but less than 40kms I recall. Haven't been on the western end near Vergemont, for 20 years, so some of my advice is a bit dated. :-)

Many of the local roads are in less than good condition. The road base is too dry to successfully do a full grade, and the use of water trucks depletes the council coffers rapidly. Only extremely bad sections get the full treatment, from what I've been told.

Not sure about the Vergemont - Mayneside section. It might be just a station road, so keep an eye out for washouts, and of course four legged floor rugs.

What station are you caretaking, Prue,

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589600

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 16:19

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 16:19
Geez Bob,

That's an old map...Rimbanda siding was removed in '86 I think it was.
If you didn't know where it was, you wouldn't be able to find it nowdays..

Many years ago, I was working on the station that stretched from Morella to Rimbanda, on both sides of the road.

Stu
FollowupID: 857538

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 18:34

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 18:34
Don't know how old it is, Stu, but came off the EO trek notes.

Notice Hema still has a lot of the abandoned sidings still showing on their maps. Either they don't know they've gone, or they keep 'em there for historical reasons?

Was travelling home in December '65, with a mate's uncle, and we ran out of spares, about 2am near Rimbanda. He walked up in the morning and rang the RACQ to organise some more tyres. He had to get a lift into Longreach anyway, to get new tyres.

Main Roads have stuffed the creek signs up there. They've called it Rimbananda Creek!!!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857545

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 18:49

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 18:49
I believe the creek is called Kelly's creek. There is an old concrete cricket pitch in the paddock, from the Kelly's Creek Cricket Club, which was active in the 60's-70's. There is also a very old stone weir, near the cricket club, which was built by Kanakas.
FollowupID: 857546

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 19:41

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 19:41
When I worked on a place south of Morella, the Boss used to pad up, and head up to Kelly's Ck for a day's cricket occasionally. You can still see the old shed from the highway. Didn't know there was a weir there, Stu, might have to sneak in for a look.

Rimbanda Ck is the smaller stream to the east of the siding.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857548

Follow Up By: Member - prue g - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:46

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:46
Yes, Bob, it is the trek I was looking at and thanks for the informative reply. We are leaving it for next trip-running out of time. We are at Hardway Downs on the map, now La Mancha- a great experience and first hand living and seeing the drought. Will go to Winton tomorrow -out to Morilla and up the bitumen, then back to Longreach for all the tourist "stuff". Internet intermittent out here (another disadvantage for people living out here) hence my late response to your post.
Regards Prue G
FollowupID: 857921

Follow Up By: Member - prue g - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:54

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:54
Thanks for the Winton food and shop hints. Looking forward to some pub food. No choice here 90 ks out of Longreach. We will stay as long as it takes.
I have heard the Gregory Hotel is the best place to camp. Any other comments re where to stay? We travelling with a Tvan.
Regards Prue G
FollowupID: 857923

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 13:30

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 13:30
Thanks Pru, been past La Mancha a couple of times, some years back.

Bit hard to recommend one 'park against the other. Behind North Gregory is in centre of town, but to me the area is quite bare, and looks a bit stark, if it's not full of travellers.

Van park across the road from Tatts has some lawns, and lined by trees, shrubs as is the Pelican Van park, a few metres further down the main street.

The Matilda van park is up our end of town, a good click from the main street, but opposite the BP Roadhouse, where you can get a meal as well as fuel the vehicle. The Truck & Machinery Museum and Musical Fence is only a short walk over the railway line from here too.

Can't help you with pricing at any of these parks.

See Vicki at Red Dirt Tours, if you wanted a good, informative tour while at Winton. She does town tours, as well as trips to both dinosaur places and I think Opalton and Old Cork.

Red Dirt Tours

And the Qantilda Museum has reopened behind the damaged Waltzing Matilda Centre this week.

Enjoy the next part of your journey,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857925

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 14:09

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 14:09
G'day Prue,
Yep, the North Gregory hotel is a good spot to camp, plenty of parking out the back for your Tvan. Make sure you have a look at the wall while you are there, it has all sorts of stuff concreted into it.

A word to the wise....Winton water is bore water, and really has a sulphurous smell when heated up. Don't worry, it won't stay with you, but just so as you know and are prepared for it.
FollowupID: 857930

Sponsored Links