A Trio of Transport History

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 18:21
ThreadID: 130092 Views:3263 Replies:6 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Noticed this trio fueling up at the local Caltex fuel depot, a few days ago.

I've got childhood memories of these coaches screaming up the Pacific Highway(think many had GM diesels in them), when we did a few trips up to northern NSW, during school holidays.

When I worked in the Kimberley, about 1970, we found one abandoned in amongst the ti-trees, just off the Victoria Highway, about halfway between Timber Creek and the East Baines River.

A lot of info on the Ansett-Pioneer site.

Also found this article about them too.

There's been a lot of restored trucks, prime movers and old tillys, heading west lately, so thought these old Clippers may have been heading to The Alice for the annual gathering at the truck museum as well.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 8111COLIN - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 19:46

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 19:46
Wow .
That's fantastic Bob .
Love these old Jiggers .
AnswerID: 589648

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:28

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:28
And they sounded better than they looked too, Colin! :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857552

Reply By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:08

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:08
We past them near Blackall about 11.30 on the 19th last week, you can't beat the sound of the screeming Jimmy. Barnray
AnswerID: 589651

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:35

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:35
Just opened My Pictures to check the photos, Barnray.

Took the photos at 4.10pm on 19th, so they weren't wasting any time, eh! Wonder if they opened them right up, once they hit the NT border?

Yeah, sounded awesome alright. :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857553

Reply By: Australian Landscape Jewellery - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:26

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:26
Bob, great to see the Alice Springs Transport Museum get a mention. There is wonderful stuff in there and it often gets overlooked. If you are going to Alice, don't miss it.
Mike
AnswerID: 589654

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:41

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 21:41
Went through The Alice in 2011, but were pushed for time to stop at the Museum, Mike.

Only 2-3 days drive for us to go there, so maybe next year?

The Truck and Machinery Museum in Winton is worth a look too, if anyone is heading through town. Not been going as long as The Alice, but are getting plenty of support, and have some good exhibits with lots of old "stuff" down the back.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857554

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:57

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:57
Bob, is the Truck amd Machinery museum the one adjacent the musical fence? We were there last week and had a look over the fence. Can youget inside to have a better look. Had an interesting chat with the publican at the Tatts pub about the parrot sanctuary they are establishing too.
FollowupID: 857598

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 20:13

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 20:13
Yes Des, gate is at the front, on the Hughenden road. Free entry, open from about 8am - 6pm.

You might have seen me, walk the 2 dogs past there every morning. :-)

Paul is good to have a yarn with, as well as running a good pub. He's a great ambassador for Winton. I know the area where the night parrot has been found very well.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857599

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:53

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:53
The Winton Truck & Machinery Museum is well worth a visit,
and well worth the very modest $5 admission fee that SWMBO and I were asked to pay when we were there a month or so ago...
(Might be free for you Bob, but us 'mere mortals' have to pay ;)))-

Open the link for some pics of what's inside the shed >>
Winton's Diamantina Heritage Truck & Machinery Museum

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857608

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 19:54

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 19:54
G'day Bob, it's fantastic news regarding the Night Parrot. Do you know the name of the website that the group are using. It would be very interesting to see what they are planning and doing.
FollowupID: 857650

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:14

Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:14
Apparently Bush Heritage bought the parrot area, Des, so you could keep an eye on their website.

They are keeping the area secret at this stage, because of possible poachers and other less desirable activities.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857678

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 17:01

Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 17:01
Bush Heritage have just put out an urgent request to members for funds to support this project.
Please consider making a donation - which is tax deductible - as they have been asked to take this on in addition to their normal work load
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 857690

Reply By: mike39 - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:36

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:36
Talking about those vehicles, machines of yesteryear, a few years ago in Longreach I found my way to the old power house/museum.
Spent around 2 hrs. there, could have stayed much longer.

Interestingly, people were lining up to get into the Qantas Jumbo, I was the only one in the power house!
mike
AnswerID: 589666

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:51

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:51
Been past the old powerhouse many times, Mike, and it always seems deserted.Well, except during school days when there's volumes of kids arriving/departing at the place of the 3 R's. There's also a Mens' Shed right next door.

Probably doesn't get the recognition that those other attractions do, on the other side of town. :-(

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857571

Follow Up By: mike39 - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:19

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:19
Actually Bob when I went there, there was no one in attendance but seeing the doors open in I went!
Did not notice the Mens Shed either
I would love to hear one of those big straight eight turbo Mirrlees pumping out some kilowatts, they sure had a "heartbeat".

From the '50's I recall the big 420kva. 8cyl. Blackstone at the (Vic.) Licola sawmill where I worked.
From the log deck the whistle of the Blackstone turbo was as loud as the scream of the breaking down saw.
What a cacophony!! Ah.. memories.
mike
FollowupID: 857593

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 20:32

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 20:32
Mike, I think you're an engine tragic! :-)

Thanks for this follow up, as I'm in Longreach tonight, and head for the Barkly Homestead tomorrow, I'll have a day to spare in Longreach on Saturday, before heading back to the BH on Sunday. Might go down there and spend some time. Already been on the Jumbo!

You'd better come and have a look at the Winton Truck & Machinery Museum, Mike. Ergon recently dismantled/demolished their Winton powerhouse, and the Museum scored a "portable" genset. A V16 cylinder GM driving a ??? KVA alternator, all mounted in a special shed.

One year, back in my previous life, the Cook, one child 'n I were at Brunette Downs NT for some time(went up for 10 days and stayed 7 weeks) and they had a couple of CAT gensets. The bigger one was powered by a 3406 engine driving 225 KVA alternator, and used to sound pretty good at full song. They didn't use it much because it used huge amounts of diesel.

Got a couple more engine anecdotes, but will leave 'em for later.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857602

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 00:04

Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 00:04
The Longreach powerhouse museum is only open from 9 AM to noon Tuesday to Friday - See web site. They have a bit of the DCA Aeradio station from the local airport there as well, see the RH picture (similar to the Dubbo one I used to maintain in the 60s.)

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857663

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:16

Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:16
Well that's a bugger, Peter. Will have to find something else to do tomorrow.

Thanks
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857680

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 12:26

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 12:26
Bob, the best genset I've ever heard was a monstrous English Electric V16 (about 1600 HP from memory) that drove a 1000KVA alternator at the Redross Nickel mine near Widgiemooltha.

I used to truck the sand to backfill the mine (with an old Perkins powered "butterbox" ACCO DF-1840 tipper, no less! LOL), and stockpile excess nickel ore from the ore bin, when the road trains of Gascoyne Trading were unable to keep up.

That big V16 would bark like nothing I've ever heard, when the winder driver pulled the lever to lift a loaded skip from the lower levels of the mine! It was music to an engine tragics ears! LOL

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 857875

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 14:35

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 14:35
".......V16, ......1000KVA". That's a serious genset, Ron!!!

After being reliant on gensets for almost 45 years, I enjoy the sounds of any of them. It means they're still going! :-)

Maybe draw the line at those horrible El cheapo 2 stroke units sold by Bunnings and others.

Been awoken in the dead of night, by............NOTHING. Pull the slippers on and jog down to the power shed in my 'jammies, to see what the problem was. Ahh, memories. Now Mr Ergon does it all for me. :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857880

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 20:44

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 20:44
Sounds to me like all you Clipper/Detroit tragic's never spent much/any time working on the engines buried in the back of those horrors. Or the Alison AT 40 auto trannies often found hanging off the arse end of them.

Sadly I did. Cured me of any romantic notions I had about Clippers or Detroits.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 589681

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 21:21

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 21:21
Ha ha, dead right there, Pop.

Replacing a camshaft in a CAT 3208 would have been the pinnacle of my "mechanical career". :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857605

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 11:52

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 11:52
Yeah, I know where you're coming from Bob.

Changing a camshaft on a 6v-53 in a TK Bedford NON tilt cab was the sort of stuff nightmares were made of as well.

(:=((

Don't know about you, but happily for me all that lot are a fast fading memory. Haha.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 857627

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:11

Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:11
Was never in your trade Pop, but being on stations, one needed to attain some degree of mechanical knowledge(and sympathy!) or else you had to walk home. :-)

Also ran a small earthmoving plant for my long time employer for 6 years, so have a bit of an affinity for Cat gear.........and their workshop manuals!

Yeah, memories are good, because you can always forget about the bad ones, and savour the good ones(preferably over a cold lager, with mates)

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857676

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 12:34

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 12:34
Geez, Pop - didn't you know the cab comes off a TK Bedford in less than 15 mins when you know what you're doing?

Everything under the Bedford cab is unclippable and quickly unboltable. It takes 15 mins for a Bedford guru to unbolt the linkages and steering and unclip the wiring harness - then you wind down the windows, slide two lifting straps through, protect the window frames with old telephone books ("what are they?", cry the youngsters! LOL) - and hey presto! - lift off the cab, complete!

I replaced a radiator in my TK Bedford without knowing all this - it was only when I found an old Major Motors bloke who cut his teeth on Bedfords, that he let me in on the cab removal trick! I wish I had known about it before I struggled with that radiator job!!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 857876

Reply By: Slow one - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 20:16

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 20:16
Bob,
I love that old bobtail tri-drive twin steer Detroit powered Atkinson in the Winton museum. You could put the world on the back of that old dear.
AnswerID: 589732

Sponsored Links