Vehicle Maintenance Course & HF Radios

Submitted: Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1301 Views:3648 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody know anywhere in Melbourne where we can do a basic vehicle maintenance course that would allow us to have an understanding of how to fix minor problems and have a better understanding of how our 4wd works and its parts prior to our trip around Oz. We would like to find a course that give ideas on how to get by and make temporary repairs that will hopefully enable us to 'limp to help' (the types of bush repairs I'm always reading about in 4wd books) rather than just a tafe type course that just covers the basics? Also, can anyone recommend where we can get a reliable second hand HF radio - we would like to have one but really cannot afford the $2000+ that the new ones cost? Can anyone recommend which types/brands of radios we should look for? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser - Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
Not sure about the course but for a HF radio, try www.desertaccess.com.au/ then click on 'Equipment for sale'. Based in Adelaide, they frequently sell ex-hire units. Bought one last year for $750, complete and ready to install. Easy to install yourself - they provide information about installation and use, plus help if necessary. Noticed they had a later model Codan there earlier this week for $1400. There's a phone number so you could give them a call. Either Codan or Barrett are recommended and widely used. Make sure it has both VKS-737 and Flying Doctor frequencies, then join the VKS-737 network.
Regards, Cruiser.
AnswerID: 4187

Follow Up By: Chris - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00
Does anyone know of a similar course offered in Sydney?
FollowupID: 1810

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Michelle.....I, and others I work with, have bought the old fashioned type HF radios - Tracker - Scout - Codan etc. 8 channel crystal locked HF radios - design is old fashioned , but experts say they still perform as good as anything new. Only loss is you have several channels at best, no sellcall, no beacon and GPS etc. Here in Adelaide, we have picked up these units for $200 complete, then paid a technician about $200 - $250 to change crystals (channels) for VKS737 network use.
For this outlay, you have a very reliable radio that can get out to anywhere the new ones do. I would not be inclined to invest much more in this mode, because you are starting to get closer to the second hand price of the new type radios. Have seen a Codan 9323 for sale here at $2200 (lot of features etc). Barretts might be down there too. New ones of current design start at about $3300 I'm told. With several VKS737 network channels and some RFDS channels, you have all the "HF radio security" you could need. Cheerz.
AnswerID: 4198

Follow Up By: Nigel - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Something you may want to keep in mind is that a company call Jenal in WA sells mics that add selcall to the older style radios. Their website is http://www.jenal.com/
FollowupID: 1816

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

True Nigel....I did mail them awhile back, but they were not confident that their product would work on my Tracker Scout - probably works well on other breeds of older style radios though - at $500, I think the Jenal cost added to my scout outlay is too close to a second hand, new generation HF. Cheerz anyway.
AnswerID: 4204

Follow Up By: Nigel - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
Aha - wasn't sure how much they charge. Once you added that and a autotune it would get quite expensive for a cheap HF :)

I've got an old scout in the corner that we keep as a backup for the main interconnect - nice radio - shame the interconnects from the same period where a pain to use.
FollowupID: 1820

Reply By: Darian - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel - autotune ? interconnect ? - interested in this stuff - can you enlighten this way please.
(darian@picknowl.com.au - if you'd rather go email).
dp
AnswerID: 4221

Sponsored Links