HN7 mini usb port

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 21:32
ThreadID: 130159 Views:2952 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one else had an issue with there mini usb port on there HN7 as mine came loose and kept asking to be charged, so I took it in side to charge and noticed that the usb plug was loose, Contacted HEMA what a waste of time just out of warranty
all I can get out of HEMA is to bad It has been mis-used or unintentionally forced.
Funny thing is it had not been unplugged for a few month as we had been up north
for $700 dollars I would expect it last a lot more than 16 months.
Buyer beware
in advance thanks for your responses
Don
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 22:16

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 22:16
Hi

Can't comment on Hema units but it pays to be very cautious with power/data ports on all modern devices. Some specifically provide a warning (to cover their butt I assume because of likely careless use buy high percentage of users). Also check cords - have had a few dodgy ones when no fault in device (gps/phone for example).

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 589877

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 00:06

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 00:06
Hi Don

Had the same thing happen to my satellite phone.

Plugged in constantly in a cradle, never unplugged. Eventually went flat and it kept saying it wasn't charging. Changed the cable, put it on 240 v charger - same deal.

Spoke to manufacturer - very helpful in telling me the constant vibration (six months around Oz) breaks the joints holding it on the circuit board. $500 bucks min to fix. Apparently only they could fix it - send to Sydney and then overseas.

Took a punt and took it to one of the mobile phone fix kiosks in the shopping centre. $12.00 part - $50 bucks to resolder it.

They are very fine posts that solder directly to the board, there is no othe support.

Might be worth getting it looked at

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 589879

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 10:21

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 10:21
Is a common fault with electronic devices carried in 4wds - is caused by the power cord being bounced around over corrugation and bumps and shaking the connection port which over time creates dry joints where the port is soldered to the main board.

I have stopped the issue happening by using small cable ties to tie down the cable to the unit mount with one cable as close possible to the mini usb port. With this is place the GPS unit and the area where the cable plug in move as one rather than having 30cm or more cable shaking the mini usb port.

When this happened to my unit in the past I took my GPS to a local mobile phone repairer and they were able to solder in a new mini usb port (if the port is not damaged they could resolder the the fitted unit). Where I live there are repair kiosks in the local shopping malls and the repair can usually be done while you wait or while you are shopping - mine cost $80 about 3 years ago.

I hope this helps.

Garry
AnswerID: 589885

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 10:32

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 10:32
Hasn't happened to my HN6 yet.... I have an excess of cable from the plug, do I wrap it around the stalk on the mount a few times and leave as short a length to the plug as possible - so no cable flex and the whole thing shakes as one unit.
AnswerID: 589886

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 11:17

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 11:17
You can buy various length cords to suit on Ebay I have bought several short ones to use when travelling and using external HDDs
FollowupID: 857872

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 17:11

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 17:11
For what it is worth, I have had excellent after sales service from Hema when I had my older navigator. I am a little surprised that you experienced a 'too bad' attitude from them, it is contrary to my experience.
CJ
AnswerID: 589938

Reply By: Member - Don / Mandy M - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 13:02

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 13:02
Thanks every one for advice and responses. After talking to Hema again,
through good will they offered me a refurbished unit for $300, I than mentioned the forum's that I had asked for advice on and well and behold more good will, my Hema7 will now be replaced with a refurbished unit at no cost.
Thanks again.
Don
AnswerID: 589979

Sponsored Links