Brisbane to Yulara easiest, safest way??? I need your help!!

Submitted: Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 18:38
ThreadID: 130219 Views:1697 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have landed an amazing job working at Yulara and will be driving up with my kids on my own while my husband packs the house. What is the easiest, safest route to take. I was thinking up through Longreach, Isa and then to Alice, if I google the trip it takes me down through NSW, Aldelaide and up through the territory to Yulara. What are good towns etc to stop in? I heard Isa is in the grip of an Ice epidemic with a imposed curfew happening. I want to push myself and do this in 4/5 days.

Your advice would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: maurice b - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 20:23

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 20:23
The way you suggest then Camooweal to Tennant Creek is longer but the safer due to less isolation, no gravel roads . Other options would be to Boulia then acrooss 1100kms of Gravel roads called "The Plenty" to Sturt hyway . I dont recommend for a lady and children on own . Or all blacktop to GoodiwindiCobar via bourke or Dubbo ,Broken Hill ,Port Agusta then Stuart Hwy north , 12 hours @ to Cobar from Bris, 5.5H Cobar/ Broken Hill , 5 hours BH to Port agusta then @ 14 hours to yulara .This would be the way i would ask my wife to go and include down to Dubbo Not via Bourke as this way towns a closer together.
AnswerID: 590099

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 22:24

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 22:24
Easiest & safest - Roma - Longreach - Mt Isa - Three Ways and down to Alice. Best advice - avoid travelling between dusk & dawn - especially mid western Queensland.Roma thru to Longreach is a Kangaroo death trap......
AnswerID: 590107

Follow Up By: Princess T - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 22:52

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 22:52
Yeh im planning on playing it safe with the kids.
FollowupID: 858115

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 06:41

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 06:41
I have a mate who drives from Brisbane to henbury station (kings canyon) a fair bit. Via port Augusta is the quickes and best road by a decent margin according to him.
AnswerID: 590112

Reply By: craigandej - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 10:46

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 10:46
Hi,

We have worked at Yulara a number of times over the past 10 yrs. My wife and I have both done solo drives there and back from Ballina NSW. She is a remote area nurse and did many stints with the RFDS clinic there.

We have driven every route possible over that time, even across the Simpson. The easiest and safest in our opinion being the New England highway down to Tamworth, then across to Broken Hill, Port Augusta, then up.

We have done the trip in 3 days with 2 drivers, they are solid days with nights at Broken Hill then Port Augusta. Solo we take 4 days.

Big days with kids, we always get an early start at daylight, as they tire of driving by arvo.

Let us know if you want any more info.

Regards
Craig & EJ

AnswerID: 590121

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 11:02

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 11:02
My vote is added to what craigandej says. The route down the New England Hwy, via Tamworth, to Gilgandra would be the one if you're living South of Brisbane - but the Newell Hwy route, via Toowoomba, Moree and Gilgandra is probably easier if you're living West or North of Brisbane.

The highway from Gilgandra to Pt Augusta is excellent, and the Stuart Highway North of Pt Augusta is one of the best roads in Australia.
Make sure you stop regularly, and don't become too tired or caught up sorting out fighting kids.

Be aware that driver sleepiness is a big killer, and it strikes early in the morning, at your normal bedtime - and particularly in the early afternoon, after having consumed some types of food (chicken and cheese are notorious for causing sleepiness after lunch).

Good luck with the drive and the new job!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 858128

Follow Up By: craigandej - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 11:39

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 11:39
Exactly right Ron. Please don't attempt these distances if you haven't before.

Your vehicle type will have a bearing on your distances also. We did the 3 day trips in a V8 ute very comfortably. Our troopy takes an extra day as its harder, more concentrated driving. Break the trip up in your mind. Town by town or day by day.

Keep well hydrated, lots of plain water and no junk food. Have a Telstra network mobile as it will give you most coverage. We have a sat. phone. And try not to drive after dark with roos, cattle etc.

Cheers
Craig & EJ
FollowupID: 858130

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 14:19

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 14:19
As I recall, and maybe not that well these days, from my Basic Fatigue Management "blurb" the no-no foods are:

Dairy(wonder if this includes an IceBreak sugar free iced coffee?)

Turkey

Pasta

Bananas(bit suss about this one as I have a mate who used to do 100 mile kayak marathons, and that's all he ate)

And a couple of others that don't come to mind anymore,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858135

Sponsored Links