Birdsville races

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 14:21
ThreadID: 130230 Views:2049 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
What a great event, credit to the organizers of the event, the free camp site was very well maintained, all amenities were cleaned regularly and everybody had a great time.
I believe it's a must do trip and an experience that you won't forget in a hurry.
Big Red was a lot of fun also, good for a laugh.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozi M - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 15:16

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 15:16
Which way did you come home and what was the road like, I am heading that way in 2 weeks time
AnswerID: 590137

Follow Up By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 15:25

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 15:25
Drove to Birdsville from Windorah, very dusy, rocky/stoney sections and drove back along the Cordillo downs road to Innaminka then across to Thargomindah, roads very similar to road in. Dust, dust and more dust, plenty inside van.
Don't forget to drive to conditions and we let our tyres down, but your choice!
FollowupID: 858138

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 17:05

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 17:05
thanks, I will be going across from Windorah so I will take it easy, just hope no ratbag goes flying past.

Going down to Marree after that, hopefully all will be OK
FollowupID: 858142

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 21:54

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 21:54
OziM

we came down Birdsville Track last week from the K1 / Warburton and it was like a highway apart from some spots that were flagged, sat on 100KPH most of the way.

If you have time call into Mungerannie and grab a beer & burger from Phil & Pam

cheers
FollowupID: 858163

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2015 at 13:09

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2015 at 13:09
Gotta agree with your comments on Pam's burgers, Cookie.

I had one "with the Lot" on the way down to Lake Eyre in 2011. Bit overwhelming.........it was huge!!!

We got "normal" burgers on the return trip, with sour dough buns. They were just so nice, almost turned around and went for 2nds.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858186

Follow Up By: Member - johnny woofl - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 22:54

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 22:54
I agree ,the caravan park was crowded but they managed to have everything under control, even to allowing the 'bush campers to come in for a shower , at a cost.
We went from Dalhousie across and loved it, came back around Maree ,Oodnatta,Mt. Dare and again to Dalhousie, then off to Alice Springs to collect the van. Interesting to see and hear the rangers at work catching people crossing without permits, dogs being taken into National Parks. Now they should concentrate on lack of high flags and no radio ahead of whereabouts, not nice seeing someone as you crest a hill .
FollowupID: 858237

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 07:34

Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 07:34
Hey Johnny,
Good to hear they're actively Policing it

yeah I came across 3 x 4wd nose to nose just about, I was calling quite often x number of cars heading West x KM from last marker eg Poeppel Corner. One didn't hear me in a buggy and his flag was broken, one heard me but chose to stay silent, and the other kept talking incessantly to their friends that I couldn't put out a proper call.

Coming down the Hay River we met up with a couple and as we pulled off my mate told me how they had "lost" their comms, had I known I would have lent them one of our 3 handhelds which they could have posted back.

cheers

FollowupID: 858239

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:05

Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:05
First time at the races and agree it was a wonderful event. Organisers were outstanding in the way that everything was organised, buses, toilets, water etc for free camps. Good entertainment in the street every day. Compared to many picnic races in the southern states, the crowd was very well behaved and very few untidy people.
Drove down the Birdsville track towing a off road van and apart from the first 150 km very good road. First section very stoney and plenty of people with punctures, probably going too fast with high tire pressures? Generally over-taking vehicles were good in calling before passing but had a couple of utes fly past with no warning and throw stones everywhere which was a bit unpleasant.
Never quite understand the need to rush on these roads as apart from the risk of hitting a cow/rut, miss the colours and scenery to save an hours travel time?
FollowupID: 858242

Sponsored Links