Track conditions in central Australia

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1304 Views:2029 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to the centre in the next 3-4 weeks, with a '98 Jackaroo diesel and towing an off road capable camper trailer which has high clearance and Alko suspension. I want to travel on the following tracks, and would like to know if anyone has current information on them, or if towing the camper might be a problem:

Mt. Dare - Finke - Maryvale - Chambers Pillar - Ewaninga - Alice Springs.

Ross River - N'Dhala Gorge - Todd River Downs - OLd Andado - Finke.

Any information would be appreciated, also any advice on things to see or do in those areas.

Thanks, Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lisbeth and Douglas Ballantyne - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hi, Michael. We have just returned from the centre. We went to Alice via the plenty Hwy and the East Macdonnelss 4x4 route. The plenty was okay. We camped at chambers pillar. Other caper trailers had no trouble. Maryvale to Chambers pillar is very corrugated but I think it would be graded now as the desert race was conducted there last week-end. Mt. Dare through Old Andado is okay. It is very slow. You will need a good map for that area. with the bore points etc. We came home to Qld via the Simpson desert, definetely not a place to tow a trailer. Happy trails. Lis
AnswerID: 4213

Reply By: kim McFarland - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
If your thinking of going from Maryvale Station down the old Ghan track to Finke, be prepared for a slow trip. We went through there last year and the corrugations are something else. If you do decide to do it, make sure everything in the trailer is secure, or you will find a lot of damage at the end of this leg.
AnswerID: 4225

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
Michael - all these tracks are always reported in our Road Conditions report and are updated weekly. I just did an update today too.
AnswerID: 4627

Sponsored Links