Mystery of Walker's Crossing Bridge

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 17:09
ThreadID: 130409 Views:3862 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I came through Walker's Crossing a couple of weeks ago and found the bridge closed and barricaded. The barricade and signs appeared to have been in place for some time.

But what surprised me was the absence of any guard rails on the approach ramps. The construction looked unfinished and the bridge appeared to have never been used.

However, I found the August 2014 photo below on EO and there are clearly Armco guardrails in place! Whatever happened to these rails? There was not even any evidence on the earthen ramps that they had ever been in place. Can anyone throw light on this mystery, other than I am maybe losing my marbles?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 17:34

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 17:34
That pics looks just like it did when we passed it April 2014 . . . and sounds like someone might have now nicked the guard rails hey ??
Maybe they were needed elsewhere too and handy for the local road crews to grab.

I wonder if they plan to only open it if / when the creek floods ?
But I can see why they wouldn't have it open anyway, since it was built.

We did a u turn heading to Inna and parked on it in the shade and had a spot of lunch.
We'd left Birdsville Anzac Day service that morn.

Will check it out again in about 4 weeks, driving the other way Inna to Warburton, then a Rig Rd crossing, I'll see if Inna Hotel knows about it unless you find out sooner.
AnswerID: 590764

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 17:37

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 17:37
Allan, I think they were removed due to them not complying with current electrical safety rules.................................... LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590765

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 19:26

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 19:26
The chances are they were washed away and subsequently removed following a flood.

I have experienced first hand what flood waters can do. Anything from lifting and floating away bitumen sections, to driving into the Alice from the north, following the center dashed line which was several centimetres under water, to a flooded Todd River that lapped at the curbing of the Motel we were staying at in Alice Springs waiting for word that the road home was open.
Couldn't head south to Adelaide as the Stuart Highway was closed for three days, due to the inundation of water and silt build up at the Hugh, Palmer and Finke river crossings.
These have now been upgraded with the addition of bridges, but still no guarantee as to their lifespan.

It is amazing what Mother Nature can dish up at times and one just has to accept delays as "par for the course" and just wonder at the awe of her power from time to time when traveling through our great outdoors.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 590766

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 20:16

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 20:16
Yes, could be that they were washed away Bill, together with the earthen ramps as there is no evidence of footings for guardrail posts. Now awaiting funding for repair?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 858810

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 21:42

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 21:42
has there been floding in the area ....... a good solid quantity of water can make a real mess of guard rails and other bridgeworks.

cheers
AnswerID: 590773

Follow Up By: Member - Young Nomads - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 23:03

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 23:03
Basically..no flooding. The bridge was constructed & put in place by Santos so they can access their fields on the other side of the river during flood. Unfortunately, not just for tourists convenience LOL
Can't answer the "mystery" but I can say.. flooding is not the culprit.
The railing was there on the 14th of June 2014

FollowupID: 858811

Follow Up By: muzbry - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 08:38

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 08:38
good morning
There is someone lurking in the shadows , i would check him out.
FollowupID: 858815

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 15:08

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 15:08
In that case perhaps Santos have been shifting over width loads on a low trailer.

That guy in the shadows does look a bit sus doesn't he. Maybe he going to pinch the guard rails.

Clive.
FollowupID: 858839

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 15:57

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 15:57
That is a reasonable thaught ...... they may be putting wide loads across the bridge .... thus removed all the rails & guards ....... this intern make it "unsafe" for general traffic so they closed the bridge and normal mugs have to go around
FollowupID: 858841

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 17:11

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 17:11
No, there were Armco railings on the bridge span, just not on the approach ramps.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 858846

Follow Up By: Member - Young Nomads - Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 22:26

Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 22:26
Clive and Allan..that "sus" guy is my husband..LOL...I asked him tonight...he works not far from there....he doesn't know either :P

FollowupID: 858907

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 17:17

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 17:17
Hi Allan, as I was there last year I thought I would make a comment. I looked up my photo's and realised that the photo you used was one I took and posted on EO. So not much to say really. Do you have a photo of as it is now? Maybe add to the Places database. Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 590859

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 18:34

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 18:34
Hi Chris,

No, I didn't take a photo.
I just particularly noticed that the approach ramps had no Armco rails and thought that it looked a bit hazardous. There were rails on the bridge span though.

When I saw (your) photo on EO I began to doubt my observation but then remembered that we had camped adjacent to the ramp and I walked across it to view the memorial and was sure that I had no need to climb over a rail.

It will have to wait until someone travels across in the near future and reports that either the rails...... or maybe my powers of observation.... are gone.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 858943

Sponsored Links