Dry River & Western Creek NT

Submitted: Friday, Oct 16, 2015 at 23:23
ThreadID: 130608 Views:1233 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
There is a track shown on the Hema map from Victoria Hwy to Stuart Hwy through Dry Rived and Western Creek. Has anyone travelled this route?
Am curious what ruins there might be at Old Dry River
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Saturday, Oct 17, 2015 at 09:56

Saturday, Oct 17, 2015 at 09:56
Hi Warren,
I believe you are talking about the old "Dry River Stock route" that commenced south of Mataranka and emerged at or about Mathison Creek on the Victoria Highway. I am not certain that the Dry River to Mathison section exists any more. In any case, you would have to contact the pastoral leases and the various Aboriginal stake holders in that area for information/permission to cross that area. Sorry, I do not have any up to date info for you. My knowledge pre-dates 1980 which wouldn't help you today.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591666

Follow Up By: WarrenTC - Sunday, Oct 18, 2015 at 01:15

Sunday, Oct 18, 2015 at 01:15
hi Fred. I would be interested to read your pre-1980 experiences in the area too :)
FollowupID: 859723

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Oct 17, 2015 at 11:38

Saturday, Oct 17, 2015 at 11:38
Haven't been through there Warren, though have been past the turnoffs you mention years ago.

Can't see why you couldn't get through, permission pending, as some of the roads are station access roads, and the roads between each may well be a road mail route? Otherwise there is often a reasonable road between each, to use to recover cattle picked up during mustering.

Old Dry River may not be much of any interest. As I recall Dry River was a block annexed off one of the bigger stations in that area in 1964. Either Willeroo, Delamere or Killarney, can't remember now. That would be the original homestead site, but may have moved by a subsequent owner, to a more accessible/liveable site. Might be hut or cottage, a shed and watering facility there but little else. Bet there's a good supply of empty "stumpies" in the rubbish dump though. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591668

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)