free camping across Nullarbour

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 16:49
ThreadID: 130713 Views:3393 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All we are travelling to WA later this year and were wondering about suitable camp sites between Streaky Bay and Norseman, I have done a search and all the info I found was old, perhaps I was looking in wrong spot. also if the Parmango rd is accessible with a van.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:13

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:13
G'day Dene S
Treat your self to the latest Camps Australia Wide book, or down load Wiki Camps to you iphone / ipad, will give you all the info you want.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592023

Reply By: Dene S - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:15

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:15
thanks I'll get on to that.
AnswerID: 592025

Reply By: Member - tazbaz - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:20

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:20
Download wikicamps ($7). There are camps by the zillions even without wiki. If you see a track off the highway it will most likely lead you to an OK spot
AnswerID: 592026

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:35

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 17:35
If enquiring just on roadside rest areas for 'through' travelers.....we have always used the Camps Australia Wide book - there are plenty of rest / camp areas gazetted all the way across.....sometime after lunch while cruising along each day, my navigator sorts out a likely spot to target for about 3.30 / 4pm....and there are always other travelers doing the same thing (just came back east from there, a few weeks back). If you drop in to the Ceduna Tourist Info office, they will have the excellent freebie map / brochure 'The Nullarbor - Australia's Greatest Road Journey'. It's available widely, particularly in towns near both ends of the Nullarbor....heaps of touring / attractions info on it.
Don't know re the Parmango road - there is a serious visitor info office in Esperance - they might have the good oil on that.
AnswerID: 592027

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:35

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:35
Have a look at thread 129925.

Regards
AnswerID: 592029

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:38

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:38
You might have had a bad search because you spelt Nullarbor incorrectly. When it comes to searches, I just use Google. If you do a search like this one - using Nullarbor Free Camp as your 3 words, you will get a heap of relevant hits - usually the 3rd or 4th hit will be Exploroz and lists about 4 or 5 of the best threads.
This has been discussed heaps before, but I agree with others that Wikicamps is great. But you will be out of mobile range a lot of the time, so you need to download everything you possibly can to your phone or tablet before you go. Download the maps, the comments - everything you can. Then you can access it when out of range. We find the comments are the most useful because they all have a date and people tend to say what they really think.

We've free camped a lot on the Nullarbor and although we have a few spots we use regularly, we have never found a bad camp (if we find a dirty camp we tend to clean it up and burn off the toilet paper confetti that others have left) and there are plenty of places to pull up that are suitable for someone towing a van.
AnswerID: 592030

Reply By: Mike S2 - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:48

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 18:48
Hi Dene,just recently came over the treeless plain,we used wikicamps,plenty of good off the road overnight camping spots,forget parmango road it runs off Balladonia track,see previous thread on that track back a couple of pages,it's quicker to go the long way(quiet protest,don't spend any money in Norseman,that shire has the responsibility of upkeep to the track),cheers,Mike
AnswerID: 592031

Reply By: Dene S - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 20:20

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 20:20
Thanks everyone for the info much appreciated.
AnswerID: 592034

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 00:58

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 00:58
Most of the way it is wide open country and plenty of places to get far away from the road to get a good night's sleep. West of Mundralbilla station fences prevent driving too far from the road, but there are some large rest areas where you can get away from the road in privacy behind trees.

If you need power and facilities, the roadhouses all have some form of caravan parking.

Someone has already given you the advice on Parmango - Balladonia "short cut". Not recommended for taking a caravan, although we did so as a different route with our off road caravan.

Enjoy your trip to Western Australia.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592042

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 00:59

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 00:59
Sorry for the typo

Mundrabilla
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860129

Follow Up By: Gazza11 - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:36

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:36
Guys,

How long do we allow for a leasurely trip Sydney to Perth with a large caravan?

Gazza
FollowupID: 860143

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:03

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:03
We've used the Parmango several times with 2 different vans. No real problems and some good camping spots. It can be corrugated but just keep the pressures down and drop speed and you'll be OK.
As others have said it's probably quicker using the road but if you're not in a hurry, why not try it?
AlanH
FollowupID: 860145

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:34

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 12:34
Hi Gazza

It depends how much you have seen of your state and South Australia along the way. Touring the Eyre Peninsula if not seen before is a great small detour from the Eyre Highway to spend a week or on. You could take three months or three weeks. Lots to see once you get past Norseman too, with following the coast having more to see than going through the Goldfields. We once spent two weeks visiting Kalgoorlie and surrounds.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860148

Reply By: Gazza11 - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:42

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:42
Guys,

I'm keen to understand how many days to allow for a leasurely trip Sydney to Perth?

Also what are the "Must See' detours along the way?

Gazza
AnswerID: 592048

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 17:28

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 17:28
Hi Gazza,
it all depends on your own interpretation of a leisurely trip, some people would consider 7 days as leisurely others three weeks, for me to do the trip comfortably towing a large van Sydney to Perth in about ten days.
We have done similar type of trips in company and by ourselves and the factors that you personally have to consider, are yours, I did a trip Alice Springs to Perth in three days, yet when we went over in company with friends we took ten days. what it all boils down to is what do you want to see and how far do you want to travel in a day, these are all your own questions.
please enjoy the trip and I hope I was some sort of help for you, if not I do apologise.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860156

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:05

Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:05
Until Ceduna it is up to you: how far you want to drive in a day, whether there are places you want to have a look at, issues like shopping, laundry etc that may delay you.
As for the trip from Ceduna to Norseman that is also a matter of choice. We have met many who claim it is the most boring trip in the world and did it in two days! Others, like ourselves, find it an absolutely fascinating trip. If you take your time there is a lot to see and experience. We easily spent a week on that stretch last trip and could have spent longer. From there it depends on whether you go via Goldfields or coast. The self drive tour out of Kalgoorlie (Tourist Info) can take a few days! The coast is fascinating and well worth some time.
So it depends on how you like to travel and what interests you. Our advice is that you don't rush it.
Allow at least three weeks for a fairly quick look. Don't set yourself deadlines - just enjoy the trip. It is definitely one where the journey is as important as the destination!
Just remember that quarantine inspectors at WA border will go through your rig with fine tooth combs so don't try to carry ANY fresh fruit or veggies or honey! Frozen, precooked or canned stuff is fine.
John and Lynne
AnswerID: 592093

Sponsored Links