Installing a Mirror Monitor in a 2014 dual cab

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 16:32
ThreadID: 130800 Views:1489 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

I'm trying to run the cables down from to the mirror to the 12v socket in the console area but can't find a way to get it there other than let it hang straight down from the mirror.

It looks pretty daggy.

My only thought was to try and run the cable up and tuck it under the roof lining around to the passenger side. This would involve lengthening the +ve and -ve wires to reach the 12v socket.

Has anyone done this or something better?

Any help would be appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 18:12

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 18:12
Hi BooBoo,

The only effective way is to obtain a 12v extension cord (about 5 metres) and run it under the edge of the hood lining, down the left hand side of the door pillar (the cover should just unclip when you pull it) then under the dash, etc. to where your connection point is.

If you are just looking at a 12v power feed, you shouldn't need to connect it the a 12v socket. you could connect it to the fuse block with an "add a circuit" double fuse connector which piggybacks onto an existing circuit. The negative wire can be connected to the vehicle earth anywhere along the route.

My mirror monitor only required the one connection to the mirror, (by the same route as I have described). The power cable and reverse switch sensor wire terminated at a junction box I positioned behind the side foot well panel.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592377

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 19:03

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 19:03
I have tried several rearview screens and the one on the mirror was the worst of all especially if you wear glasses.

Wearing bifocals I couldnt focus enough in time to have a brief glance at it and so ended up with a screen on the dash which was fine.
Unless the screens have improved a lot I found that the picture couldnt overcome the mirror function and never appeared clearly. Even tried a matte screen protector. Was glad to be rid of it.
Have wired several dash cams up as stated but be careful which fuse you tap into Definitely NOT AIRBAG ones. Also make sure the screen actually runs on 12 v and hasnt got a stepdown in the ciggy plug ( if it has one)
I use a addafuse and connect a ciggy socket to it as the dashcams are usually 5 V Saves cutting the wires and allows you to remove later if required.
AnswerID: 592379

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 19:12

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 19:12
Forgot to say if using an addafuse it should be connected with the wire at the bottom ( or the cold side) if horizontal. otherwise the circuit is incorrect and will be running off the original.Correct way to insert an Addafuse
FollowupID: 860569

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 19:17

Thursday, Nov 05, 2015 at 19:17
Thanks gentlemen
I will get an addafuse tomorrow and have a go.
AnswerID: 592380

Sponsored Links