Simpson trip vs Birdsville races

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 17:16
ThreadID: 130851 Views:1527 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, have a trip, west to east planned, next year. Found out, Birdsville races are on a few days before we leave Mt Dare. Would you expect a lot of on coming traffic, at that time? My thoughts would say "YES" but have been told races crowd, aren't 4x4 crowd... Have my doubts... Would have been good to arrive in Birdsville for the races! But it's a timing thing.. Any one been arcoss around that time? Thanks... Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 19:56

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 19:56
Yeah mate traffic travelling to Birdsville from all directions increases quite a lot, and quite a few use the races as an excuse to do a crossing (before and / or after). . . but really, if you're doing WAA / Rig or parts thereof and avoiding the more direct French Line, you should be ok.
I will never do it again in peak months, this July was so crowded, delays at dunes quite regular, and radio calls were almost a waste of time (just too many, and half didn't know where they were anyway !).
I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you really want to do FL all the way then just be prepared for slightly longer days.
There are no problems finding places to camp, just some dune corridors might have more than one or two 4Bs using them, especially the nicer ones.
AnswerID: 592567

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 13:52

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 13:52
Yeah, wot Les said. Though we were going westwards against the normal flow of traffic.
FollowupID: 860778

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:03

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015 at 21:03
We came through west to east one year and ended up in Birdsville on race day. Quite a few ute loads of territory locals use the simmo as a short cut to the party. You'll be meeting a few of these guys on their way home. We found them generally well behaved and good company.
AnswerID: 592570

Reply By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 15:53

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 15:53
Thanks guys, this is what I was expecting, had a look at the itinerary I've been sent, and arrive in Birdsville on the Tuesday after the races.. But we are going to spent a couple of nights in the one spot.. Just to soak it in.. So we won't be in any hurry.. But you have confirmed my thoughts, we will be a lot more cautious when cresting dunes.. Cheers fellas.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592597

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 19:34

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 19:34
This is a bit out of left field;

Are you part of a group? If so and if the skills set and cars are up to it, then what about using the Madigan line for Mt Dare to Poepells Corner? Staying clear of the French line which would be like Pitt Street at peak hour. We did not see another car or huamn being between Old Andado and Poepells Cnr - that's 5 days. But there weren't any horse races on around then or anything special on.

We did it on our own in a car set up for solo long distance travel. No issues at all for us.

If you have no choice then use the WAA line and up to Poepells Cnr as late as you can.

Phil
FollowupID: 860791

Reply By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 20:10

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2015 at 20:10
Thanks Phil, brother in law is the organiser, and my brother and I are putting in our two bobs worth.. So 3 vehicles, and six people.. It's a bit of a family trip.. 4/5 weeks.. 8500 km for us traveling from Queanbeyan.. Meeting up in Blackall.. Heading across the plenty hwy from there.. See how we go. Thanks.. Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592605

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:47

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:47
PM sent. Call me if I can help.

Phil
FollowupID: 860802

Sponsored Links