Tasmania

Hi im in tasmania for the next 4 months and are looking for somewhere to hide over the Christmas school holidays,have checked caravan parks for that period and they are very expensive in which i can understand,so any locals know of any places (free camping or van park )it would be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 22:50

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 22:50
Plenty of places to hide in Tassie, but to avoid the Christmas and school holiday crowds I'd suggest going west rather than east.
You can take the western explorer road south from Marrawah past places like Temma and Couta Rocks and continue on over the Pieman River and out to places like Trial Harbour and Granville Harbour.
Much more rugged country, and weather a bit less reliable than the north and east coasts, but you can generally get away from the crowds whereas the other side of the State is very heavily populated by campers over the school holidays.
Even closer to the sealed roads, you could try somewhere like Waratah, which is a pleasant historic mining town and has free camping behind the museum, and you'd probably find spots around Rosebery and Zeehan.
Good luck !
AnswerID: 592790

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 08:54

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 08:54
Be aware that the Fatman barge which crosses the Pieman River has a maximum weight of 6.5 ton and over all wheel base of 9 meters. As stated by Wildmax, West Coast would be good, try Arthur River, plenty of camping in that area, but could be popular. Try the boat trip up the Arthur River, go to the edge of the World, if coming further south, the museum at Zeehan, "The Wall" at Derwent Bridge and there are some nice short walks to water falls in between.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860973

Reply By: humpback - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 06:53

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 06:53
Thank you Wildmax i will start researching the places you gave me.
Cheers
Humpback
AnswerID: 592792

Reply By: Roughit Instyle - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 18:46

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 18:46
We spent Christmas some years back in a very small caravan park at Moles Creek, which has now changed hands/owners so not sure what it is like now. Located very close to Cradle Mountain and in a lovely small town. Playpus in the creek which runs through the park. Honey farm close by. Not so heavily populated for the holiday period as the east coast, as stated above. There are lots of nice areas on the western side of the State. but this was a favourite.

Cheers - Ngaire

AnswerID: 592822

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 18:56

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 18:56
Spent last New Years (arrived there a few days after Xmas) at Couta Rocks area mentioned above already. As said, it's pretty quiet there over that period. Be aware that Arthur River has very little in the way of food supplies etc, so take all need for the time you plan to be there. A small shop does exist there, but it's more a takeaway food shop then grocery store. It did have a very limited choice of groceries on a couple of shelves, but nothing really in the way of fresh food that I can recall there, more limited packet and tinned food. It can get pretty windy there as it did on our stay, so make sure you choose somewhere sheltered.
AnswerID: 592823

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 20:43

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 20:43
As noted above, be prepared for a bit of wind on the west coast, it comes all the way from Argentina with nothing in the way to slow it down. Great country though, just find somewhere with a bit of shelter.

Also there used to be a huge camping ground at Lake Burberry, just off the highway not far out of Queenstown heading towards Hobart. Wasn't free but it was cheap, there will probably be plenty there but there's plenty of space for all to share. And a freezing cold lake to cool you down on the hot days.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592825

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 13:27

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 13:27
Are there hot days in Tassie ??

Must be,
we were there in 2011 Jan thru April and were there for their "Heatwave" 2 days over 30....
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861119

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 13:28

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 13:28
Woopsie.... that was in 2012.....
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861120

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 13:33

Friday, Nov 20, 2015 at 13:33
Haha reminds me of when I first moved to Melbourne, from Broome, in the middle of a 'heatwave'. 6 or 7 days over 30, people were dropping like flies, everywhere I went people were saying 'how bad is this heat?'. And I'm like, '... what heat? Isn't this normal?'

Got a rude shock when winter came..

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 861121

Sponsored Links