Oztent Microfast

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 23:06
ThreadID: 13105 Views:7743 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone used one of these? The 30 sec to set up sounds great. How long do they take to fold away; this doesn't get a mention in the advertising.

I am concerned that they may be like those spring out dashboard protectors; open in about two seconds but are a mongrel to fold up.

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 23:11

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 23:11
"I am concerned that they may be like those spring out dashboard protectors; open in about two seconds but are a mongrel to fold up. "

You hit it in one. Dude at easter club property had one, was braggin how horn it was! it was his second time out with it, people were amazed by how easy it went up.

He was 1/2 packed when we started, we were driving out of the property as he was still crying tryin to pack it.

More practice MAY help... then again we had hassles folding out SCross tent, thanks CRYOMAN
AnswerID: 59842

Reply By: robb - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 04:34

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 04:34
Hey Jimbo, I have a microfast as well as an OZtent RV2.. Microfast is great. It does take a couple of practice goes to get the technique, but once you have it mastered, you wont forget... Real easy and real fast..

Cheers
AnswerID: 59848

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:28

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:28
Jim we have had both types away with us and once you learn the nack with putting away as per any thing new you find a way to do it quicker they seem good and easy. To date not heard of any complaints.

All the best
Eric
CyC
AnswerID: 59849

Follow Up By: Member - Bear - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:38

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:38
Eric
I have been looking at these since they appeared. I have used a swag for about 10 years on the RFDS Outback Car Trek which is always in June and always bloody cold.

These new ones look great but surely they could not be as warm or retain as much heat as the old swag??

I know your mainly up the top but can you please comment (apart from the 1 week a year skiing I actually hate the cold and do enjoy a warm swag when its zero outside!)

FollowupID: 321537

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:30

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:30
Bear I have not stayed in a oz tent only seen them put up and down and nothing is like the nights sleep in a swag i just love it all the better when the wifes with me.
But this year up the cape for ten weeks in a single southern cross.
looked at your rig pic your a member of the tlcc of sydney. So am I have been for about 8 years now.

all the best
Eric
CyC
FollowupID: 321586

Reply By: Bob&Deb - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:49

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 06:49
G`day Jimbo,
What are these Oz tents? Sounds great if you can have them up in 30 secs,would save a lot of drama after a long day driving.Anyone know of a supplier in Melb?

Keep wandering,
Regards Bob&Deb
AnswerID: 59853

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 08:43

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 08:43
Hi Bob and Deb we have had a 30 second tent by oztent for 5-6 years and it is great, micro fast is also one of there products.
Oztent Australia, 02-97574466, Web site www.oztent.com
FollowupID: 321473

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 07:38

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 07:38
Jimbo....... I have the Microfast MI4.

Yes, it was a bugger to put away the first few times, then after a while it just becomes really easy.
How long to fold away? Can't answer that, but way faster than anything else I know.

AnswerID: 59854

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:31

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 09:31
ask garyin oz
AnswerID: 59863

Reply By: Michael - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:11

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 10:11
Hi All, My wife bought 2 only MI-3 Micro fast tents, had them for a while and hadn't used them. I took my two boys to Hill End a few weeks ago, Getting them open is great, I pegged them out, plenty of eyelets and takes plenty of time, throw the fly over and clip the clips on, has captive ropes, ropes are too long and has plenty of them, also takes time. I reckon for a 2 man tent it took me 15 mins each. I found the fly ventilation is good but condensation builds up and drips from the top of the tent on you. The other problem is the tent is more than half a circle you find yourself belting pegs in the ground under the tent. I half folded the tents up when leaving camp, i couldn't get them in the bags by myself, you need to be an octopus to get it tied up and Houdini to get it in the bag. Not cheap, I could be wrong but i think they cost $350 each.. apart from being compact and light i see no real advantage. Personally i much prefer a touring tent, although heavier. My thoughts only........Michael
AnswerID: 59871

Reply By: UB.1 - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:17

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:17
Hello Jimbo

These are fantastic tents. I've had an MI-6 for 18 months now. 1 minute to erect, 1-2 minutes to peg down and attatch the fly. Times for 2 people. To completely pack away once the tent is empty takes 2 people about 7 minutes once you learn the routine. I person is more difficult and takes about 14 minutes to pack away. Never longer. We spent 3 weeks in Tassie in January and only stayed in the same place for 2 nights on 2 occasions. The tent makes it easy and comfortable.

The only drawback to the tent is the space it takes up when folded. Because of the hoops it need to be laid horizontally or stood vertically and some cars don't have the room in the cargo area due to _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx etc. Smaller sizes than the MI-6 are similarly smaller.

The tent breathes very well in hot weather but is warm in winter once you are inside. Condensation is not a problem as you can adjust the airflow as necessary. It's a great tent.

Regards
AnswerID: 59979

Sponsored Links