Trans Australia Rail Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 16:45
ThreadID: 131078 Views:3607 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have an update on (a) access allowed, access prohibited or access by "take your chance and go for it ?? and/or (b) track conditions, camping locations and sights to behold ??

Cheers ... NeilM
NeilM_BoabOZ
UHF Channel # 15 - Callsign BoabOZ Mobile 2189
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: capnbazza - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 16:56

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 16:56
We were there last year (Rawlina) and were told we risked a large fine if we proceeded past Rawlina. Deciding that the money was better in out pocket than some else's we decided to head to Cockelbiddy. Bad mistake.... I have traveled on better goat tracks. It took us 12 hours of concentration to travel the 147 kms. Should have risked the fine. Mind you, on talking to the people at Cocklelbiddy they said the road East from Rawlinna was not much better. Take the chance and go for it, can't see any officials out there waiting to pounce.
Cheers
Capnbazza.
AnswerID: 593562

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:41

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:41
See it's discussed at the WA side, not sure where you were talking about ?
Here in SA, yeah, every time I've sought advice on it the route (Ooldea to top of Googs is officially off limits, but many do it.

That's probably a bad thing for 4WDn in general as it shows a lack of respect for access to others property.
I'd love to do it, but will probably give it a miss when doing a Maralinga / Googs trip sometime in 2016.

I am not sure about west of Ooldea (if that has any relevance to you proposed planning ???).
AnswerID: 593576

Follow Up By: OBJ - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:40

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:40
There is a track that you can travel coming out of Maralinga to Cook. It is called the Caravanners track. I have not travelled it, as I had to return to Ceduna to fix a broken trailer after my Maralinga visit, but 'those in the know' say it's not a bad run. It does not run right next to the rail track though.

The road next to the rail line is good around that part. My advice was that if stopped tell the "stopper" that you are on the fibre optic track as the rail track is closer to the rails.

And finally ... I have just (in the last fortnight) travelled Perth to Sydney jn the Indian Pacific and took particular notice of the roads (as best I could) and thought they were pretty good if you weren't in a hurry. I saw no other travellers along there. Forrest looks 'interesting' .. strange looking buildings and an airfield. My plan is to travel Googs Track -> Cook, but I also want to visit Tarcoola so I am not sure yet how I will tackle it.

Despite my best searches, I cannot find anything anywhere that tells me it is subject to a fine if you travel this road. I am conscious that around Ooldea/Watson the land on the Maralinga side of the tracks belongs to the Maralina people but it is government land on the other side. By default, given that I pay taxes, that land is mine as well :)

OBJ
FollowupID: 861866

Reply By: Member - backtracks - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 21:56

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 21:56
Ahh, the benefits of oldish age ! A mate and I did Kalgoorlie to ooldea after dropping down to the bight for fuel in, gulp, 1981, both in HR Holden wagons ! Took best part of a week I think, slow then with rocky track. There were still fettler camps every second siding.Anyway ,not very relevant now, just brought back memories. Oh, camped next to the track the trains were fecking loud ! The drivers even threw out newspapers for us to read ! Yer, good time.
AnswerID: 593585

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:07

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:07
Hi - that's how the manager of Forrest gets his newspaper now, or did a few years back!!! :-)

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861851

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:07

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:07
Awesome, you never forget those sort of adventures from your youth :)
Maybe those train drivers were having a bit of fun with the newspaper tossing !! ?? Lol.
FollowupID: 861852

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 14:29

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 14:29
We did a filming trip along the railway line from Kalgoorlie to Port Augusta in September.
The Railways have jurisdiction over 100m either side of the railway line. The Telstra Track runs for the most part just outside that corridor. We were advised by railway staff at one point, to follow the wheeltracks of a truck carrying loads from Haig to Forrest - it at times ran alongside the rail line. We just moved to the Telstra track when approached by trains. We were never challenged by rail staff.
We did not do the Deakin - Watson section, (We had another agenda which because of shock absorber problems on one vehicle, we didn't complete) and travelled to Cook from the main road.
Whilst at Maralinga, Robin told us that the Ooldea-Googs Track section was regularly used by travellers and locals.
The main factor is, under no circumstances, try and stop the trains.
There is 3G coverage along the majority of the line.
Fuel can be obtained at Kalgoorlie, Forrest, Maralinga, Kingoonya and Glendambo.
The Telstra track is rough, and most of the time is 20-30 kph
We camped at Loongana, opposite the obelisk at Deakin, in the bush at Ooldea (we discovered later that there is good camping at Daisy Bates Camp once we found it)
and at Daisy bates camp at Wynbring (behind the airstrip).
The road from Watson to Maralinga is bitumen, and Maralinga to Ooldea good, wide, well maintained gravel (at our time of travel)
It's a great drive.

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 593662

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 15:19

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 15:19
Fuel is no longer generally available at Maralinga. Also Kingoonya is diesel only and only with a PIN Visa or MasterCard.

Also ( as usual) the 3G coverage is Telstra only.
FollowupID: 861958

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 16:29

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 16:29
Am I allowed to suggest that you click on my Classified link below my signature?

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 593665

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 17:56

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 17:56
You suggested it already :)
I checked it out once before when we emailed Laurie, hope you're travelling well.
FollowupID: 861962

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 23:32

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 23:32
All good thank you Les.
However, the CC is dictating that I won't be travelling too far in the next month or three .... or five or maybe six :-)
Hope all is good with you, and that you, and all of the Exploroz crowd have a wonderful Christmas
cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 861970

Sponsored Links