Locking mechanism for fridge slide?

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:09
ThreadID: 13112 Views:6587 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm currently building a fridge slide for my Engel. As a start i bought a pair of excellent runners on Friday ($73 for a pair of ""full extension tandem wood runner" @ 50kg each runner. extend from 600 to 1200mm .. bought from Wilson & Bradley in Preston Melb)

will be welding up a simple angle iron cradle to hold fridge & fix to the runners

question ... what are other folks using for a locking mechanism (to lock in both closed & extended position??) i'm sure i can make/buy something but was wondering if there is some great gizmo out there that is cheap & will do the job perfectly (well i can always hope!!)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:41

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 11:41
Drew I used a domestic sliding door/ window lock that I adapted to use and its key locked in case you feel inclined that way. Available from your local hardware store
AnswerID: 59883

Reply By: Lea - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 14:30

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 14:30
My husband made ours for our evakool, has got a spring on a handle and little ramps for mech to fall over to lock on.

One of the best things we have made, makes getting into the fridge a lot easie>

AnswerID: 59901

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 15:15

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 15:15
Hi Drew,
I'm looking at doing the same project and was tossing up between the window lock or the pool gate closures with magnetic thingy ( Magnalatch,,, just came to me) for locking drawers and fridge. Having trouble finding suitable rollers in Sydenay. Wilson & Bradley, R they specialists for that type of product?

AnswerID: 59909

Follow Up By: DrewT - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:05

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:05
Wilson & Bradley are a large cabinet maker supplier ((03) 9495 8900 ) ... i found them very helpful .. even Bunnings & my local cabinet maker recommended them!!

regarding locking mechanism: i'm thinking that Lea may be on the right track with a spring loaded rod which can be twisted to lock a lug into different positions & would be attached to the fridge sliding frame so the rod handle is always accessable at the front bottom edge of the sliding part of the frame. i dont want a latch that is fixed to inside or outside of the non-moving part of the tray/cabin floor as it either takes up 'packing' room or is hard to access when the tray is extended.
FollowupID: 321528

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 18:12

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 18:12
DrewT do they have a web address, we are looking at something similar 1500mm would suit us, we are incorperating the kitchen as well.

FollowupID: 321545

Follow Up By: Oskar - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 10:51

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 10:51
If you are in Sydney try:
Suite 9/Level 2
34-36 Brookhollow Ave.
Baulkham Hills
Ph. 9680 8977
NET: www.hafele.com.au
E-MAIL: nsw@hafele.com.au

Hafele's are are large national supplier of cabinet components and probably supply most of the smaller outfits. They have branches in each state and in NZ.
I have no connection with them, I just have their very large catalogue.
They supply the exact part you are looking for.

Each of these is sold in pairs
Try Part No. 100 KTA (100kg)
" " 100KTS (100kg)
" " 3834A/45kg (45kg)
" " 50KTA (50kg)
" " 50KTS (50kg)
Note: 100 = load capacity
K = ball runners
T = telescopic
A = base mounted
s = side mounted
Each of these will extend further than their length when installed and can be purchased in lengths of up to (about) 750mm and extend an extra 750-800mm.
Hope this helps you and some others
FollowupID: 321640

Reply By: DrewT - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:00

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:00
no web address or catalogue i know of ... but i provided the phone number in my post above. they did have a range of smaller runners (with less weight loading). but they didn't have any bigger ones
AnswerID: 59945

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 20:32

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 20:32
In Adelaide we have a company Universal Engineers Supplies, I think they are national. I used one of their small spring catches on mine, cheap as well.
AnswerID: 59964

Follow Up By: DrewT - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 08:43

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 08:43
had a look at their website ... would the catch you used be called their "spring bolt"?? (at page http://www.uesint.com/subcategories.cfm?category=Hardware&subcategory=Fasteners)
FollowupID: 321621

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:03

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:03
Without having their catalogue at hand, I would hazard a guess that it is.
FollowupID: 321706

Reply By: Rosco - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:25

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:25
I built one for my Engel and purchased the slides from Galvin Plumbing Supplies in WA. 100kg rated cost about $100 from memory. As for the locking device, I used a small padbolt (about 4") pop riveted to the galvanised tray made at the metal shop. Works a treat and all up only cost $165 to build. The slides have a raised section to keep it from closing when in the open position. Only requires minimum effort to open fully.
AnswerID: 60155

Sponsored Links