Meandra, Tara, Hannaford Qld.???

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:13
ThreadID: 131147 Views:2553 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I would like some information on this area of Queensland. Has anyone any recent experience in the area? We are looking at a caretaker position amd any information at all will be appreciated. But we intend to camp out in the area in January with our 2 dogs and caravan.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

I don't believe in this Happy Holiday message that people are sending. Just plain old Merry Christmas and a Happy & safe New Year. May all of your hangovers be the result of enjoyment.
Regards
PeteM (Qld)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:28
Can't help you with info, but Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593892

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:50

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 11:50
Thank you John
AnswerID: 593893

Reply By: Member - Milton477 - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 14:01

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 14:01
If you are referring to Meandarra, there is a good 'free' camp with water & electricity available. $10 for the first night & $5 thereafter. In town is a huge Anzac Museum & not much else with a Canberra bomber on display. We stayed 2 nights in June this year. Have a look at Monty's Garage museum in Glenmorgan also. It is actually a garage that looks like it stopped modernising in the 50's, complete with old tools, cars, parts etc.

Merry Christmas all
AnswerID: 593896

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:33

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:33
Milton, you forgot about the Myall Park Botanic Garden. It had an excellent display when Dave Gordon was alive to attend to the irrigation system but the place is suffering in the drought at present. Still worth a visit if you are interested in the native flora.

The town was the terminus of the railway line that was planed to go through to Surat but never made it. The old station is now their info centre and there are powered camp sites at the back of it.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862244

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 14:03

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 14:03
We have friends on a property south of Meandarra, Peter, though we haven't visited them for probably 10 years. Nice area, and Meandarra seemed a tidy place. Not far back to Toowoomba, and the towns are close together down there.

We were there in Winter......it truly is "freeze your @rse off country"! :-)

Safe & Merry Christmas to you too,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593897

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 19:22

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 19:22
We were in Tara August this year, was very dry at that time, unable to access water in the town, and the out of town locals were coming to the local camp ground to shower as they hadn't seen rain for some time, don't know if it has improved since then though.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593904

Reply By: Slow one - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 20:48

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 20:48
Peter,
It is many years since I carted wheat around Meandarra but I used to go south regularly through that area. The Moonie motel can have some good bargains on quality clothing depending on what the time of year is and contact the Moonie information centre for some good oil on the area.

If you go, visit Surat and have a beer, I always liked the town.
AnswerID: 593909

Reply By: Sir Kev - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 22:00

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 22:00
Peter,

What info are you after exactly?

Meandarra is a normal run of the mill country town, Pub, Police Station, small grocery store etc
As mentioned above has a great Military Museum.

Hannaford is just a Grain Rail Siding, not a town as such.

Tara is similar to Meandarra but has 2 pubs, a larger grocery store, a Bakery and a couple of fuel outlets.

I am going to be in Meandarra again tomorrow on my way through to St George. Current conditions of the area are that it is still drought declared but some parts have been lucky enough to be under some good rain clouds. If you are into golf bring your clubs and have a round or 2 at Inglestone Golf Course (part way between Meandarra and Westmar)

The roads from Dalby to Surat are across black soil so expect the van and vehicle to be bounced around/across the road when travelling.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593912

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:07

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:07
We are looking at a caretaker position in Hannaford, to get off the road for awhile.
In normal circumstances I would drive there have a good look at the area and talk to the locals. But we are caretaking a small farm near Nanango and the round trip would be too expensive and would have to be an overnighter, so we would need to tow the van. Our Patrol gets 3km per litre without a head wind.
From other comments we know it gets cold in winter, but the boss says she loves the cold, I hate it.
The mention of the road conditions concerns me as our van doesn't do corragated or dirt roads that well,
Thank you for your comments too.
Merry Christmas
PeteM
FollowupID: 862240

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:35

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 08:35
Most dirt roads in the area are in generally fair condition, just reduce your speed and drive to the conditions and you should be ok.

You will also be close the The Gums, which has a Servo come general store.
For most bulk grocery needs it may be worth travelling to Miles, Chinchilla, Surat or Dalby all about the same travel time and have a better range of goods.
Miles has an IGA, Chinchilla an IGA, Woolworths and lots of smaller businesses, Dalby has a Shopping centre with Woolworths, Big W, a stand alone Coles and there is also an IGA. Surat has a Supermarket it's brand escapes me at the present.

Tara's Bakery has good quality bread products but can be expensive as a takeaway provider and I prefer to eat at the Café just up the road near the Grocery Store.

Temperatures at the moment are high average 35+ degree days and high teens to low 20's for nights.

Flies are friendly during the day and the mossies are the size of bombers at night.

When you are there send me a Message and I'll come and visit as I am in Chinchilla :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 862242

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 07:52

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 07:52
Thank you all.
Merry Christmas
Peter M (Qld)
AnswerID: 593919

Sponsored Links