Camper Trailer Stoves

Submitted: Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:26
ThreadID: 131179 Views:2619 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks, Just wondering if anyone has any recommendation on camper trailer stoves. Have heard that most are not the best performers. We have just bought a Trackmate Trailer with a swing out kitchen and would like to know how these stoves perform. We usually use a Coleman 3 burner which we have had for years and have been impressed with it.

Thanks

Georgie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:59

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:59
Easy. Stick with the one you have got.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594046

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 23:04

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 23:04
Yep.
If it's yours..................
If it works....................
If it fits.........................

.....................Use it :-)
FollowupID: 862379

Follow Up By: Member - Mudda - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 16:42

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 16:42
Yeah thanks fellas for the helpful clever reply. It doesn't work properly, that's why I asked.
FollowupID: 862396

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 19:10

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 19:10
Fair enough Mudda.
You said in the OP that you were impressed with the Companion with no mention of it not working properly, so......................

FollowupID: 862399

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 19:11

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 19:11
Ooops, delete Companion, insert Coleman :-)
FollowupID: 862400

Follow Up By: Member - Mudda - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 20:00

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 20:00
The Coleman Eventemp is fine it is the camper trailer stove that had an issue. We thought we might have to replace it.
FollowupID: 862401

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 20:24

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 20:24
------------------------------------------
""""Yep.
If it's yours..................
If it works....................
If it fits.........................

.....................Use it :-)""""
-------------------------------------------

I was suggesting you replace the suspect unit in the trailer with the Coleman
If it's yours.
If it works.
If it fits.

Hope it all works out for you.

FollowupID: 862402

Reply By: JR - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 06:24

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 06:24
Track usually fit the best, certainly the case in older models
AnswerID: 594047

Follow Up By: Member - Mudda - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 18:59

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 18:59
Yes they certainly do. One of the reasons we picked Track Trailer was because of the build quality. We have a demo model so she is bound to have a few hicups. The customer service from the dealer has been exceptional and couldn't recommend the product enough.
FollowupID: 862398

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:17

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:17
Hard to find anything better than the one you have got.
I've used a Coleman 2 burner for years and still love it.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 594049

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 08:43

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 08:43
If you check out some drifta kitchen video's he's always rabitting on about a particular stove on there which he is happy with. Going by the snowpeak gear he carries and the campers he builds I'm guessing he's a function over form type of bloke which I respect.
AnswerID: 594054

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:42

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:42
Our slide-on camper is fitted with a SMEV 2 burner stove, the one that has a hardened glass fold down cover. We haven't used it extensively, but it performs okay, and gets hot enough to cook a couple of pieces of rib fillet properly. If I had a complaint it would be that the control knobs are a bit difficult to access and adjust easily, for big hands, once the stove is hot. Very easy to clean!

We also have a Coleman 3 burner stove like yours, and like it, though it takes up a bit of room. Haven't had any trouble with it.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594057

Reply By: Member - Mudda - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 16:54

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 16:54
Thanks to all who gave useful replies. Had a gasfitter look at it and the connection had to be replaced and it wasn't out far enough to push the hose on to it. Also gas flow needed a bit of adjustment as it wasn't getting enough. The problem with the stove on the trailer was access to the actual stove as it is a sealed unit. Couldn't get to it from the top or the bottom. The Coleman 3 burner Eventemp has certainly spoilt me. It has been everywhere, cooked everything and never missed a beat. . Still interested to know if anyone has replaced their camper trailer stoves or removed them altogether for a more portable set up.

Thanks

Georgie

AnswerID: 594066

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:52

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:52
There's no easy answer and you will likely just receive owner opinions that theirs is the best.
It depends on what space you have, what you like to eat, how you do your camping, how long you go away for. etc etc.

Our truck is kitted out to be a standalone tourer but we also have a high end camper.
In the truck we carry an old Coleman two burner gas (occasionally dual fuel) stove. We supplement that with one of the butane disposable cartridge things. Although great, neither of these is going to produce gourmet meals but they are both compact and do the job nicely. Perfect for the truck even on extended trips.

In the camper we have a Sovereign BBQ that has a deep lid so can also roast things. No use for making a cuppa though so its supplemented with a Bromic ring burner. We usually toss in a butane stove as well.
This setup allows a much more successful attempt at better meals but costs heaps and takes up room. It does give you a more relaxed cooking experience though.

Previous camper was a real cheapy. Didn't have any cooking capability so we carried a Coleman RoadTrip BBQ. That was hands down the best cooking solution we have used but it doesn't currently fit in the Johnnos - that situation might change soon. That thing would do everything from cups of tea to small roasts. You can get it so hot that it can melt the aluminium grills. Fabulous for steaks.

There's no straight answer, it depends on you so best check out lots of shows and take pictures.
AnswerID: 594356

Follow Up By: Member - Mudda - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 17:41

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 17:41
Thanks Malcolm for the reply. My daughter also has a Coleman Road Trip Grill and swears by it. We also have a cheapy butane job and keep it in what we call our Quick Box, for when we stop for a cuppa on the roadside. Contains Quick Boil kettle, butane stove, bread board, knives forks spoons, coffee, sugar and cups. We have done many years out of our truck with an Oztent and have only just bought this new fangled camper thing. Getting to old to pack stuff on the roof of the truck. The stove it came with is a Swift two burner. At first it didn't work and we thought we would have to replace it, however a gasfitter fixed the problem for the time being. I would not use it as the only stove so will be taking our Coleman Eventemp as well. I like to cook so like to have something decent to cook on. I will check out to see if Coleman still makes the Road trip Grill as we have more space than we can poke a stick at so when the Eventemp gives up I could replace it with a Roadtrip Grill.

Cheers and a Happy New Year to you.
FollowupID: 862749

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 22:31

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 22:31
Coleman still make the Roadtrips but the current model is quite inferior to the old units.
You want the ones with a blue lid, current ones are a red color and a whole lot flimsier. Always for sale on Ebay...

The Roadtrip is a whole lot bigger than an Eventemp so you might have to rethink that. However you can get collapsible stands for them which is how we use it.
This is what you want - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coleman-Roadtrip-LX-Propane-Grill-/181958974799?hash=item2a5d999d4f:g:DFkAAOSwv-NWa2Nu
FollowupID: 862759

Sponsored Links