Three way fridge or compressor only fridge

We are getting excited, our van is finally getting built we have not decided on the fridge yet as we have a three way fridge in our current van the new fridge is going to be a bit larger, now I have been talking to some of our group and we have a divided opinion of which way to go, three way or compressor only.
the question that I am now asking is now obvious, what works best in remote areas the three way fridge or the compressor fridge, the only thing I know about fridges is that they keep wine and beer cold, so your comments and opinions are most welcome.
thank you ladies and gentlemen
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 20:36

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 20:36
Hi Broodie, You will get lots of answers on this one. Personally I have and favour the 12 volt compressor frigs as they seem to have less hassles in the hotter weather. They keep on working harder. The down side is that you do need a good battery supply and equally important solar panels to charge up the batteries supplemented by a generator if required. We have a 160 litre Waeco with 300 AH of batteries and 240 watts of solar. For 2016 I'm going to supplement that with a portable solar panel of around 250+ watts to avoid running the generator. The generator always comes in handy on overcast day or when you are stuck in the trees.

If you are just stating out with a new van, talk to the manufacturer about a Lithium battery system. A little expensive but half the weight for the same capacity. In fact your gain about 40% extra usable capacity of standard AGM batteries.

Cheers
Jon
AnswerID: 594090

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 22:30

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 22:30
Best of luck talking to van manufacturers about lithium batteries. Very few would know mjuch about them or be prepared to take the risk of installing them.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862444

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 14:37

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 14:37
the battery suply is two 150 agm batteries and two 200 solar panels, should that suffice in the interim until either the batteries die and need replacing. the refrigerator is 185 litres dometic, that is the standard fridge for Atlantic caravans, and we are used to a 65litre 3 way fridge with the waeco portable as a back up for freezing and keeping the wine and beer chilled, that system has lasted us for eight years and we could bush camp for up to ten days like that, I put a 100 amp agm battery with 180 solar panel and that gave us all the power we needed at the time, as the fridge was a three way and while camped ran on gas and no hassles.
Jon and peter thank you very much for your knowledge and time. merry Christmas to you both.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862463

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 20:48

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 20:48
Broodie, depends on a few things..... Do you camp up for days in the one place? Have a decent solar setup and a good battery bank? Tour in high ambients? I myself would go for the compressor fridge as I have a dislike for 3 ways, but each have good points and bad points. I am sure you will get nearly as many differing answers as a question about Ranger/BT50....... Merry Christmas and enjoy the new van which ever way you go.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594092

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 14:46

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 14:46
Thanks John and a merry Christmas to you to, we do camp up for several days on end generally away from the crowds, that is why we are asking so many questions, we have had some delays with having the van built through no fault of the company building it we had a couple of family problems that has set us back about six months, and we are slowly getting back on track.
I just want it to be built as close to perfect as I can get it.

thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862464

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:00

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:00
I'm not going to be much help to you...as we are facing the same dilemma with our new van. My research indicates the 12v out performs the 3 way in all conditions and is also available in a larger size, over 200 litres. Talking on the weekend to a guy with a brand new Retreat van. He said his 12v fridge was the ducks guts.He had 2 x 150W solar panels and two 120 amp hour batteries and said he had not run out of power for the fridge on his first 3 day bush camp. The other big tip he gave and he was adamant,was fit a SOG vent to your cassette toilet..cuts down odours totally.
AnswerID: 594093

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:43

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:43
Having had both fridges in vans, here is what I have found.

The 12v compressor fridge does perform better as a whole over a wide external temperature range. The only down side is the battery side which many have covered.

The 3 way I have now is ok with the upside side being the use of gas while camped. No worries about solar performance due to cloud and It performs well in moderate temperatures.

The down side is a couple of things. One, the 3 way takes a long while to pull things down after you go shopping. Two, you have to keep the van level while stopped. (within reason that is). Three, once the temp rises over 35C, the fridge struggles and that is for a T rated fridge.

I don't have a problem like Roachies with temp, as I have one of those Jaycar wireless temp monitors and I adjust the thermostat accordingly which keeps the fridge between 2 to 4 degrees.

Hope you both make the best choice for yourselves.

FollowupID: 862451

Reply By: Roachie Silverado - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:39

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:39
My experiences are that the 3 way Dometic fridge we had in our Ultimate Camper trailer when we bought in 1999 was rubbish....most of the time.

It was difficult to control the temp with any degree of accuracy....sometimes things would freeze (not good for tomatoes and lettuces etc!!!), and other times the booze got hot!!!

It needed to be DEAD LEVEL to work properly, which is difficult when you're using an off-road camper in the environment it was designed to be used in (ie: always going up/down etc). Also, the places we camped in meant that it was not always possible to get the camper level enough for the fridge to be happy.

On the upside, they are VERY QUIET!!!

I am lead to believe that the newer "smart" 3 way fridges are much more efficient and I would be willing to listen to various arguments in their favour when we decide to get a full size wobbly box in the future.

Bill

I yanked the Dometic out back around 2001 after we lost a lot of expensive cold cuts of meat, which we had purchased for a big family get together at Christmas. That was the last straw for me.

I replaced it with an upright Engel (about 100 litres I think) and it works beautifully, but does make some noise which can be noticeable at night, but not always.

The other issue, as others have already pointed out, is that you need to have the battery capacity to cope with the compressor. In my case it was simply a matter of adding another battery because we tend to travel almost every day....so the batteries are getting charged up. I do carry a 1kva gennie for use when we are going to be camped at one spot for a few days. I also have a small "suitcase" solar panel but don't think it would be up to the task of keeping the batteries fully charged in the summer temps.

Horses for courses.
AnswerID: 594095

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 22:32

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 22:32
We did similar to Roachie when we purchased a wind-up camper. The gas/electric was past its prime, but we will not use a gas fridge anyway. The small upright Engel 12/240 v slotted exactly into the space. I used to turn it off at night because it was by my bed and I could hear it. We ran it from one battery, charged by a solar panel put out to face to setting sun when we stopped for the night, and left out a night to face the east to catch the rising sun.

The Vitrifrigos we have had since are virtually silent.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 862445

Reply By: GREG T11 - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:45

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:45
So you have experience with a 3 way already, is your daily travel schedule going to change whereby it becomes a P.I.A to change routine. I found it a extra hassle firing up the gas mode on a daily basis and that is where a 12 volt low consumption fridge glows for touring. If you are stopping for 3 + days at a time a 3 way evens up a bit, after all you switch the gas on once. Solar panels have to be moved around, park your vehicle in full sun if there fixed and generally have to spend a motza on associated gear to keep the batteries in a good working order.

3 way fridges have not evolved all that much from the early days of caravanning, you hooked it up once or twice a year to stay at a spot for 2 weeks. Never were quite suited to a long touring journey, but that is all we had to choose from so you put up with it .

I have a 50 ltr chescold I bought s/hand maybe 15 years ago, it was pretty old then but even now it is perfect working order. Offered as part of an enticement to sell a campertrailer, fella bought the trailer but said no to the fridge !!!! FREE
AnswerID: 594097

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 23:19

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 23:19
There are two types of experience with 3 way fridges. Those with poor installations who have poor experiences, These people don't do much to improve the installations and either keep winging about them or replace them. Then there are those with fridges that have been installed properly or those with badly installed fridges who have improved the installations. They are quite happy with them.

If you wish to go the compressor fridge way then make sure your van has the capacity to carry 300 Ah of batteries and plenty of panels. If you don't do the necessary negotiations you are likely to end up with a 400 kg loading allowance and 100 kg of that taken up with the solar installation.

If you are going the absorption fridge way then make sure they don't palm off one of the Dometic curved door models. They don't perform as well as the ones with a flat front on the door. As well as that, have a look at their van construction and check on the fridge installations. Any gap between the top and sides of fridge body and the furniture cavity should be packed with insulation. The rear venting of the fridge should conform to this document - Optimal Installation of Dometic 3 Way Absorption Refrigerator. I have seen many manufacturers who use the small vents as shown in Option one instead of the larger vents when larger fridges have been installed. I would recommend that you order Option two. This provided for the best airflow up the rear as the ducting is a lot longer, the top of the ducting heats up and causes greater expansion of the air glow which increases the air flow. If your fridge is approaching 200 litres you could even request that the LS300 vent be used as the lower vent.

Print off the document and take it along with you when you do your negotiations. Inform them that the deal will not proceed if they are not prepared to do the installation as you want it.

If you have an absorption fridge you will get away with one 100 - 120 Ah batter saving possibly 80 kg of mass you will have to carry.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594100

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:23

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:23
That diagram is the Bible for 3 way Fridges.

A bit of mucking around if your fridge hasn't been installed sympathetically, but easy to fix. I fixed mine on my Oz Trip (2 years away) in a CP one slow day. Amazing what you can scrounge around the back of workshops.

I added two brushless computer fans at the top vent to draw out the hot air linked to a thermostat to turn them on and off when the higher air temps cut in.

Been that way for 6 years and have not had a poor performing fridge since.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862455

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:16

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:16
Peter you amaze me with the information an knowledge that you have at you disposal.
thank you very much for your in put and have a great festive season.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862467

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 08:57

Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 08:57
My 3 way works fine and will even keep ice creams frozen in cooler temps but once these get up to above 25 performance drops right off. I put in two fans in the rear to suck the out hot air and one in the fridge to circulate the cold air.

Did not make much difference at all - I now have a small upright compressor fridge to go in as a replacement.

3 ways are great when you dont really need them but fail when temps get a bit warm.
FollowupID: 862501

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:17

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:17
I have a couple of each style (portable) and change them around depending on the trip. The 12 volt fridge stays on all the time and is set and forget - but - it is only that way because I have invested more than the fridge is worth in solar, batteries and a dc charger. The humble gas fridge hardly sees the light of day, but if I am going to be sitting in one place for a week or more it is the first thing which gets packed. Being able to hook it up to a 9 k.g. Bottle and knowing I'm good for a month is a good feeling. They work on ambient temps though, so yes, the odd lettuce leaf and tomato has been sacrificed to the cold beer God as the outside temps drop at night and the thermostat doesn't get adjusted accordingly.
It's easy to say 12v is the greatest, but if you now have an obligation to run a genset and charger for 2 hours a day because it's cloudy the gloss comes off it pretty quick.
I think a 12v fridge/freezer in the car and a gas fridge in the van is a good compromise. Less weight, batteries, panels etc on the van, fresh vegetables all the time and cold beer as well - what could possibly go wrong?
AnswerID: 594104

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 09:42

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 09:42
Broodie
This one is simple
A good quality compressor fridge , hands down.
I have never had a decent 3 way ridge

Cheers
AnswerID: 594112

Reply By: 2517. - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:18

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:18
There is a book called Solar That Really Works by Collyn Rivers it would be a great help to you ,it is available on the net.In it he give examples of powering Fridges thou the costs have chanced the end results are the same.
AnswerID: 594115

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:20

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:20
I will down load the book thank you for the info maybe Ill learn some thing about solar energy while I am at it, lol. merry Christmas
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862468

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:38

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:38
Hi Broodie,

Without any shadow of a doubt, a compressor fridge is your best choice, especially if buying from new. The extra cost of an upright compressor fridge will be much less than if you had to buy one down the track. It will be only the differential between the cost of a new 3 way vs a new compressor type.

Here is a scenario:-
A friend and I ordered new vans of an identical type. As part of my order, I upgraded to a compressor fridge, due to my previous experience many years ago with a 3 way fridge which I found marginal in practical use.
My friend left his as a standard order with a three way fridge.
On delivery, I had a 70 litre Waeco upright fridge which takes around an hour to cool down to a reasonable temperature, runs quietly and is no problem at all.
The van came standard with an 80Ah battery, which was too small to run the fridge for any length of time. I removed the battery and sold it on Gumtree for a reasonable return and purchased two 100Ah Fullriver batteries and installed them along with a good volt/amp meter and a D250S Dual dc-dc charger to maintain them from either the alternator, or portable 120w solar panel. The van also has a built-in AC charger for maintaining the batteries while at a powered site.
I have absolutely no problem with the fridge, or battery bank and I often "bush camp" away from 240v power. (I don't like generators and don't need one)

A few weeks ago my friend advised me he is pulling out the 3 way fridge, due to poor performance issues and replacing it with a compressor fridge. This is approximately one year after taking delivery of his new van. He will also need to upgrade his battery bank to enable longer running time between charging, but is upgrading for practical reasons.

A 12v/240v compressor fridge will give you the best possible performance and much less hassle free operation.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594116

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 14:15

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 14:15
A 3 way fridge is a much more expensive fridge than a compressor type.The money saved on the fridge goes a long way to paying for solar panels. If you already have solar then that is about all you need. Watch the caravan dealers as they don't always pass on savings.
I grew up with a kerosene fridge and there is no way back there for me.They will not maintain 2 degrees when outside temp is over 35. The more out of level the van is, the worse the performance. So called new technology may be but the concept is the same. Provide heat to evaporate ammonia and let outside temp to bring back to liquid.

Neil
AnswerID: 594124

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:12

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:12
There is only one reason anybody in their right mind would have a three way fridge ...... and that is they want to run off gas for extended periods.

If you are in a single location for extended periods of time ... like weeks a three way fridge on gas is still hard to beat.

Otherwise a compressor fridge backed up by a decent electrical system can't be beat.

cheers
AnswerID: 594126

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:28

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 15:28
Bantam, reading through all the replies, your reply seems to me to be the winning argument and the consensus of all that have replied ,thank you and have a very merry festive season
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862470

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 23:41

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 23:41
But if you want to run off gas for extended periods Bantam, you need to be able to keep up the supply of gas. With solar and a compressor fridge, you can keep it running indefinitely.

I have answered under Roachie's reply that we removed the absorption fridge from camper when we got it and installed a compressor fridge the same size. With one battery and an 80 watt solar panel on a frame, we put the panel out to face the setting sun when we stopped, then moved it to face east ready for the dawn. We did have trickle charge from the vehicle, but even in the late afternoon, the battery level zoomed up on solar compared to the trickle.

Broodie has not said the size of fridge being considered, only saying a "larger fridge". Broodie, a small fridge should keep you an adequate supply of wine and beer, and a few food items as well. Your diet when travelling can be easily adapted to use less refrigerated foods.

Remember that a compressor fridge will work like your home fridge in effectively chilling what you place in it. An absorption fridge will take longer to cool things, and is best used a bit like an esky by putting already chilled products into it.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862653

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 00:38

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 00:38
I'm no fan of three way fridges but they will run for a very long time on a 9Kg gas bottle ..... and they will keep running in the shade, after days of heavy rain ...... AND a three way fridge and a couple og 9kg gas bottles is a hell of a lot cheaper than a compressor fridge, batteries and a solar system.

cheers
FollowupID: 862656

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 01:28

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 01:28
In your experience, how long will a 9 kg bottle of gas last running a fridge of a specified size Bantam?

From that often asked question, answers given on the Caravaners Forum for their fridges of varying sizes specify anything from seven days to three weeks. Most did not qualify if it they tested while camped, or if was running from the car during the day driving, so only on gas overnight.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862658

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:17

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:17
How long is a piece of string .... the length of run will vary, depending on the fridge, its size and a number of other variables as it does with compressor fridges.

But one thing is certain ....... most people will get one maybee too or three days tops out of their battery operated compressor fridge set up without sun or another source of charge...... where 5 days, ten days or a fortnight is not unreasonable with gas .... then ya just hook up another bottle.

Remember, prior to cheap solar and 12 volt compressor fridges, people in off grid situations ran their refrigeration off gass or kero indefinitely, there was no other choice .... and no doubt there are some that still do.

Personally...... ya won't be getting me into a three way fridge any time soon.

cheers
FollowupID: 862673

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:50

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:50
Yes Bantam, I grew up with kerosene fridges being the norm on farms. Finicky things they were, and the odd fire was not uncommon. When we had a gas only fridge in a camper van we used it as an esky; never dared light the thing. Anyone who has gone from an absorption camping fridge to a compressor one won't change back.

"Personally...... ya won't be getting me into a three way fridge any time soon."

Some are even running domestic 240 volt fridges through inverters in their caravans.

Is the price of 12 volt and three way fridges comparative?

We have a solar powered caravan for all our needs in all weather conditions (except air conditioner or electric heater), so have plenty of power for the caravan fridge plus running an Engel as a freezer for long trips. We rarely use powered sites if we go to a caravan park.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862674

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 12:22

Wednesday, Dec 30, 2015 at 12:22
The priifference has narrowed considerably in the last few years.

Say 5 or 6 years ago the entry level in compressor fridges was around $1200, and a similar sized & reputation three way fridge could be had for around 2/3 the price at around $800.

But these days the entry level and the same sized fridge in a compressor fridge is around $700 ....... with little or any difference between a 3 way fridge of similar reputation.

About 5 or 6 years ago we where just starting to see full sized and upright 12 and 24 volt compressor fridges getting traction in the market, but still a lot of 3 way units being offered and sold.

I'm seeing a lot less three way fridges on shelves and bing offered.

These days ...... as I said ..... unless you where in a stationary situation for extended periods and yu wanted to run on gas ...... I can see no good reason to have a three way absorbtion fridge in this day and age. ....... juts like I can see very little reason to have 240volts in a caravan or camper appart from to connect the battery charger.

cheers

FollowupID: 862675

Reply By: deserter - Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 14:35

Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 14:35
Just a quick point on solar. People talk big numbers. With my van I only ran the fridge on 12V. Maybe a TV now and then. A 160L fridge. I had two 80 watt panels and 2 100 AH batteries and could free camp for a week without a problem.
AnswerID: 594151

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 11:21

Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 11:21
Another option is a 200 odd litre domestic inverter fridge running off a 300 watt PSW inverter, current draw is similar to or better than a similar size 12/24v fridge.
The big plus's are the fridge costs less than $500, is more efficient, better insulated, better quality and will actually work in high temps, has an energy rating that is certified, any fridgie can work on it and if it dies can be replaced mostly anywhere.
Even after buying the fridge and upgrading solar and batteries if required you would still have change from the initial cost of a 200 odd litre 12/24v fridge.
Samsung 228 litre inverter fridges can currently be bought for $398 with free delivery from appliances online. These fridges and the larger 250 litre version have been installed in vans and motorhomes with great success for a few years now.
AnswerID: 594160

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 20:13

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 20:13
compresser fridges work better in all situations except when you want to sleep besides them....
AnswerID: 594246

Follow Up By: nickb - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 02:35

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 02:35
When looking to change my non working 3way to a compressor fridge everyone told me "you won't be able to sleep, they're too noisey."

While they do make a bit of noise it hasn't affected my or my families sleep one bit!! Get used to the noise after 30 mins then all good the rest if the trip.
FollowupID: 862598

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 21:40

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 21:40
We have a 12v compressor fridge in the van. The 'van is equipped with 3 x 105 ah Full River Deep Cycle and 3 x 120 w solar panels.......the system works a treat.....I wouldnt even entertain a 3 way.......only time you can use them on 12v is why you are generating power...driving or sunlight..they are very power hungry on 12v.........why buy gas if free camping
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

AnswerID: 594284

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 19:48

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 19:48
Hi Bungarra,
Just a quick question do you carry a generator at all as you seem to have more 12v power than anyone that I know, and if you do how often and when do you use it.
Happy new year to you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862789

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 22:34

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 22:34
Hi Brodie

Yes we do carry a generator specifically for remote area camping in the heat for an air con unit and that's the only reason.

We have never needed it for our normal power usage..........in fact we have only used the gen set once but as the 'van was /is an off road van built to our specs there is provision to carry it......so we do for as described

as a guide our worst case scenario in mid 30's ambient the average daily usage is in the 80 to 90 amp range.....compressor fridge (220L).........minimal TV......maybe 1/2 news + perhaps 1/2 hour current affair at the most..all LED lights used sensibly but not overly conscious of leaving them on for the evening.....a little music and a diesel heater and that's all..

It's a well balanced system........after day 3 of very cloudy/overcast conditions we have run tight on a few occasions.....but it that weather its also usually cooler and so the fridge uses less anyway.

cheers and happy new year as well .
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 862799

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 16:44

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 16:44
Re-visiting this thread now that the forum is back. On caravanners forum, over the past few weeks in particular there have been a number of threads about three way fridges not working. This is a very common topic. Prompted by these questions in the past, I have run "polls" on that forum on fridges, and the results of one last year was

"Of those responding;
44.2% have a 12 volt compressor fridge,
5.1% have a domestic type of 240 volt fridge (total of 49% using a compressor fridge),
and 50.6% have a gas/electric fridge.

This shows a slight movement in type compared to the poll two years ago with 45% having a compressor fridge and 55% having a gas type fridge.

From the 132 who responded to the question about what type of fridge they would choose in a future rig, 65.2% would choose and compressor fridge, with only 34.8% choosing a gas type fridge.

80.1% of those contributing to this poll have solar power. This is an increase from 72% two years ago.

Of the 54 participants reporting breakdowns, failures or under-performance in their fridges, 22.2% had compressor fridges and 77.8% had gas type fridges. These figures equate to 34.6% of all poll participants having had a cooling problem with their fridge which is marginally higher than the 34% on the previous poll. There is also a higher percentage of participants reporting problems with gas/electric fridges compared to with compressor fridges than last time."

Note that from those with gas/electric fridges, 77.8% had failures or problems with their absorption fridge :O. That alone is another aspect for you to consider Broodie.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594404

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 19:54

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 19:54
Hi Motherhen,
Happy new year to you and your family, The information you have supplied to all of our questions has been outstanding, and extremely valuable. I hope to run into you one day on our journeys and thank you personally.
thank you very much.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862790

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 19:57

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 19:57
Thank you Broodie:)

A happy new year to you and yours too. Happy travels when you get that caravan built and running.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862791

Reply By: Yunderup Fox n Wifey - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 21:13

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 21:13
Hi Broodie H3 and Happy New Year,
I have just logged in after a couple of weeks without looking at E O. I had the same dilemma when I purchased a new van in Feb 2015. I finally decided on the compressor only over the 3 way. Having had the new van for 10 months and using it frequently, now constantly, I would never consider going back to a 3 way. The fridge I have is nothing short of excellent. Set on around 80% and has never missed a beat.
Beer and wine always cold and the freezer works as good as any.
Cheers
Old Yunderup Fox n Wifey.
Overdrawn at the memory bank?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594417

Sponsored Links