Car Fridge @ Insurance companies

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2004 at 16:27
ThreadID: 13122 Views:3568 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just called AAMI to have my Waeco included in the policy and was told that the only way that they would do this is if the fridge was permanently mounted in the car. I inquired to what "permanently mounted" was (sounds like a hunting trophy) and was told that it meant drilled into the floow so as it cannot be removed.

I then asked if it was padlocked at each end by high tensile chain to the inside of a wagons rear cargo area was permanent enough? they said no.

I asked then if I had a fridge slide mounted in the cargo area with the fridge mounted on top was good enough they said No.

I asked then if I had a fridge slide mounted in the cargo area with the fridge mounted on top and padlocked to the slide was good enough they said No.

The only way that the fridge would be covered by the insurance would be if the fridge was PERMANENTLY MOUNTED TO THE FLOOR OF THE CARGO AREA.

SO AFTER DRILLING 4 GREAT HOLES IN THE BOTTOM OF MY NEW FRIDGE THROUGH THE FLOOR OF THE CARGO AREA I finally have insurance for my fridge while away on holidays.

Its a shame as AAMI are great insurers for everything other accessory and modification except the fridge.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 16:37

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 16:37
My household Insurance covers my fridge . . .

No drill holes for me.
AnswerID: 59917

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 16:45

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 16:45
My Engel is mounted on an Engel slide which is bolted to a platform which is in turn bolted to the floor. By AAMI insurance it's not covered. Wonder about GIO?
If it's a "portable" device maybe it's covered by your house insurance! Yea, if you nominate it and pay extra!
AnswerID: 59918

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 16:51

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 16:51
Floyd, I could have had it on my house hold policy with ALL my other camping gear, but have it on CGU 4by policy, and the fridge is in there 24/7, no Questions asked. Mind you for my own sake it cannot be see from outside as it is built in and rear tabletop has to be dropped for the slide to work.
Please tell me you are joking about drilling holes in the new fridge, there goes any warranty and resale value!
I am not surprised, My one and only experience with AAMI does not leave me with "Great Insurers" in my mind?
AnswerID: 59921

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:14

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:14
Have to agree with Pesty. CGU insurance are great to work with. Claims done over the phone including the assessors follow up. Problem solved.
PS Don't tell Roachie but went out playing at the proposed 4WD training track Saturday and got the side boards a little used again. Maybe need a lift kit.
FollowupID: 321530

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:30

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:30
Des,
Toooo late, mate; I've read it already!! Ha Ha.
I've heard that a good lift kit for a 100 series consists of 3 sticks of geli'; right???? LOL That way, bent side boards would be the least of your worries and with the insurance money you could buy a Patrol and be part of the happiest family in Oz.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 321535

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 18:37

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 18:37
I don't have any insurance so there is nothing to worry about........

Geez Mr Lexik, at your age you should know better. Doesn't seem like DRIVER TRAINING has helped you one little bit...hahahahaha
FollowupID: 321555

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 20:58

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 20:58
willie, the trouble is with the training is that it gives you another sense of adventure knowing that what we are doing you can't do with the late model pootrols like Roachies. LOL.
With the insurance payout I'd be able to buy 2 Pootrols but isn't that double Jepody or Dumb and Dumber.
FollowupID: 321577

Follow Up By: floyd - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:18

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:18
I was only joking about drilling the holes. I have it padlocked at each end with high tensile chain and believe me it is not movable (without a blow torch). I have just resigned to the fact that I have no insurance on the fridge.

CGU is a funny one. I was insured with them (or so I thought when sending the check off every year) and I wanted some info from the underwriter on my policy and was told that they had never heard of me. Seemed a bit funny as my checks were getting cashed. It turned out that I was originally through ARB insurance (called BRA) then changed name to Australian 4WD insurance and for some reason one of these companies was cashing my checks and not forwarding policy details on to CGU. It turned out that I was un insured for 3 years even though I kept getting reminders and paying an annual fee.

In the end I got the run around from both CGU and BRA and Auusie 4WD so now I wouldnt touch either of them with a 20 foot barge pole. I even have written replies from their management that are rude, condescending and basically calling me a liar. I never found out who ended up with my money.

I went to AAMI and have made my first claim after hitting a Kangeroo a few weeks ago and have found their service to be outstanding in every way. Even get a lifetime garuntee on the repair work. Couldn't be happier.
FollowupID: 321666

Reply By: Member - Alan- Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:21

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:21
I put this same question to my insurer the SGIO in WA and also submitted a list with other items apart from the fridge like driving lights, GME UHF radio, roof rack etc. on it and because I'd had an alarm fitted they said I was due a small refund.
If the fridge gets nicked from the house it's covered under contents, and from the car under the motor policy.
Doesn't seem bad but I've yet to make a claim of any kind on the vehicle policy, and if I do, that'll be when I'll find out whether it's worth the money or not.
AnswerID: 59930

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:18

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:18
I have my Waeco covered for theft with AAMI under my van insurance... no mention of having to bolt it down. I wonder how I'll go insuring my washing machine.....
AnswerID: 59980

Reply By: Willykj - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:34

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:34
I have a Bushman fridge & I talked to AAMI today re insurance. My House Contents was up for renewal shortly so had a close look. (I was are that it would not be covered under vehicle policy unless a fixture in the vehicle). After some discussions AAMI very clearly told me that my fridge could not be covered or almost all other camping equipment. They have a very specific list of items that can be covered away from home & these items ared not listed. Neither is a laptop PC. You cannot even pay additional premium for coverage.

So - today I'm on the lookout for a new insurance company.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what company would be best.

Thanks.
Willy
AnswerID: 59986

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 23:49

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 23:49
Willy, It would be nice if people could spread the word on insurance companies REAL operations. DONT ask me cause i worked too hard to get sued. I just find it amazing why people would use AAMI for any kind of insurance. I have seen some real frustrating things with AAMI.
Anyway, i could go on but i wont..they know where I live !

I Insured my GQ with NRMA, including all the things on my list (click on picture for details) YES they have to be bolted down to Vehicle. BUT, Reality is ..thats for it to be covered. My point is, when the fridge is in my car it means i am on atrip somewhere. When I get Home, the fridge is unbolted and packed away, my point is, if my car was stolen while i was not tripping, there is no way my fridge could be stolen. So i have nothing to worry about. If it gets stolen from home...its covered by house policy.
My point is, weather its a roof rack, fridge, or anything else i bolt down when on atrip, its covered if anything happens. I pay more for that service and i dont mind that, its peace of mind incase of theft or write off. But when I get back home. Its all removed and packed away, still covered by home insurance.
FollowupID: 321606

Reply By: brett - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:59

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 21:59
My NRMA house policy will cover most things away from the house UNLESS they are in a car. They do this because most of the things you take out of your home are stolen from your car.
AnswerID: 59993

Reply By: KO2004 - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 09:55

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 09:55
Just got our Waeco fridge insured with GIO - no problems and they didn't ask if it was bolted down.
AnswerID: 60035

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:04

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:04
They probably wont ask any questions till the thing gets stolen,, the buggers are like that.
FollowupID: 321663

Sponsored Links