Bonang Highway between Orbost and Delegate

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:03
ThreadID: 131334 Views:5295 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if there are any rest areas or toilet facilities on the Bonang Highway between Orbost and Delegate. Also, is this road sealed all the way.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:59

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:59
Yes there are, but mostly on the northern half above Goongerah. Details can be found on the Hema - East Gipsland map. No doubt on other maps as well.

The same map shows some gravel road between Bonang and Goongerah.

Phil
AnswerID: 594781

Reply By: Erad - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 15:41

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 15:41
I came back from Orbost about 2 months ago - the first time in about 15 years. The road hasn't changed very much in that time. It is unsealed for about 30 km from memory, but a reasonable surface at the time I went over it. The road is very winding and slow.

There used to be a comparison between the road thru Cann River and the Bonang Highway. The Bonang was 1 mile shorted and an hour longer. Since then, the Cann River Road (Monaro Highway) has been improved and the Bonang has stayed much the same - not that that is such a bad thing. Overall, I think that the Cann River road is more scenic and certainly a lot easier to drive.

As far as I recall, there are no toilet facilities on the road as far as Bonang or Delegate. There is a pub or resort near Delegate, but I am not interested in those places so I have no idea of what it is like.

I don't recall any rest areas on the road either, but there would be plenty of places to pull off for lunch or a wee behind some bushes etc.
AnswerID: 594788

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 16:36

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 16:36
Mark

Cannot think of to many rest areas with Toilets.

Usually ride my motor bike ,but the last time I took my troopy ( so I actually noticed some things )
Its called by bikers as the road of a thousand corners , and boy are they right

Enjoy the trip , the first part from Delegate is very scenic and there are some dirt sections from memory.

Cheers

AnswerID: 594790

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:30

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:30
There's a loo at Bonang and not much else there. Some maps show fuel but it isn't any longer.

If you wanted to go off for a bit of forest viewing, from memory there's one or two camp/picnic areas in the forest to the East up Bonang way.

I used to drive that highway often when it was gravel. Great fun doing power slides.
AnswerID: 594891

Sponsored Links