Uluru to Dalhousie Springs 729km?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:31
ThreadID: 131461 Views:5838 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, got itinerary for next trip, from our lead vehicle. Just wondering if Uluru to Dalhousie Springs is too much for one day, considering we will probably need to restock supplies along the way, Alice Springs I guess.. Then refuel at Mt Dare.. Says its 729km, if all hwy it's doable, but I know that's not the case.. Itinerary suggest we are doing this stretch in one day.. Is this possible? Any ideas? Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:57

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:57
via Maryvale and Finke?
That's certainly not a highway. Can be a shocker.
AnswerID: 595441

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:07
G'day, hell of a trek for one day............. Via Alice is an extra 400 k's. Even at 776k's, via Marla, on the bitumen it is a big days travel. The 729k's via Mt Dare is too far for one day...............IMHO.

Maybe plan to restock and refuel in Alice and then a drive down via Chambers Pillar, over night there, then continue the next day via Finke and Mt Dare?

Let us know what the outcome is please.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595442

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:22

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:22
Yeah, Chambers Pillar is well worth a visit. Spectacular, and the 'trig point' for the early explorers.
FollowupID: 864144

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 15:45

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 15:45
Tend to agree - the Finke road can be a shocker ... two days. Also the road from Finke to Mt Dare can have cattle on it - we did it at night a few years back and one of our vehicles had a minor brush with some stock.
FollowupID: 864155

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 22:34

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 22:34
G`day,

Not worth the risk of serious trouble trying it in one day.
The Lambert Centre is worth seeing ,its just a short way off the main road and could be a nice camp spot.
From Mt Dare to Dalhousie Springs go via Blood Creek Bore track, about 14 klm further if I remember, but much easier and just as quick as the more direct road which is a real shocker with large gibber and bad corrugation.
Take your time and enjoy the trip,

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 864174

Reply By: Gramps - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:09

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:09
Uluru - Alice Springs - Dalhousie Springs in one day ! I'd seriously question your tour leader's competence.

Regards
AnswerID: 595443

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 15:06

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 15:06
Thanks Gramps, just trying to get an idea of what we are in for, we might have to brake that leg, into two days, will be going to chambers pillar the week before I think, but if you know of another place of interest, and some where to roll out the swag.. I'm all ears! Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 864154

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 16:41
'
Hi Odog,
Why go all the way to Alice Springs for supplies? There is an IGA supermarket at Yulara, (Ayers Rock Resort). Prices will be up a bit but a lot less than fuel up to Alice and back.
You could then travel from Uluru to Kulgera (on the Stuart Hwy) then to Finke which is not a bad road. From Finke to Mt Dare for an overnight stay and fuel. That is not a good road but not much worse than the Mt Dare to Dalhousie Springs. That's the most direct route and about 800km. Not sure where your 729km came from but in that country that is 2 days travel comfortably. To do it in one day is trying to prove something....and you may well do so!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595453

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 17:18

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 17:18
Hi Allan. Wasn't aware of being able to shop at Yulara? Never been there myself.. I'm sure we will work it all out.. Like I said, don't mind big k's on the hwy, but not too keen on dirt, can only drive to conditions.. Any spots you know of to pull up, out of the way, along that route? Cheers Owen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 864161

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 17:43
I have used that route a couple of times but have only stopped overnight at Kulgera roadhouse and Mt Dare (many times). Sorry, generally we do not remember "spots". We just keep an eye out for a convenient place when we are ready to camp.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 864163

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 17:44

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016 at 17:44
Will second Yulara for supplies. Pretty much anything you want and not exorbitant from our experience. These services tend to get better rather than worse.

FollowupID: 864164

Follow Up By: Australian Landscape Jewellery - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:10

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:10
It is an IAG supermarket at Yulara and they say their prices are fixed across Australia. We found them to be OK value but carrying a slightly smaller range than most places. Definitely not worth going up to Alice just for supplies.
Mike
FollowupID: 864241

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 00:11

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 00:11
Odog, since you've done Chambers Pillar earlier in the trip, then stocking at Yulara, going via Erldunda - Kulgera (or Mulga Pk Rd to Kulgera for interest, not a bad road), then east to Finke, the roads not bad through to Mt Dare from there (last done July '15).
You could drop in to Lamberts Centre (26ks return off the Kulgera - Finke road), haven't been there myself, but think I've read it's ok to camp there, suitable for swags etc.

Edit, that's only 560km odd Yulara to Mt Dare, plus another 85km to Dalhousie Springs :)
That's via Bloods Ck, don't go the more obvious direct route unless you like rocks !!
Oh, Dalhousie is lousy camping IMHO, mossies and no campfires allowed, much nicer for a day visit, swim, and camp Eringa waterhole or other such.
AnswerID: 595466

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:18

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:18
While it is obvious that people were still doing itHamilton Station no longer "allows" camping at Eringa waterhole. They only allow camping at their campground near the homestead..
I came across the info on the Mt Dare webpage under road conditions dated july 2015 but saw plennty of evidence of fresh campfire pits in sept/oct.2015.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 864191

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:39

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:39
They haven't banned it yet Howard, spoke to Ben there last year and he said unless there are no camping signs up, they are still just ok with it.

People just have to do the right thing, camp and leave no trace.

They were very upset, went through a time where people were just leaving so much rubbish there, they'd have to go up and clean up other lazy peoples sh. . . 'stuff'.

The straw that nearly broke their back on Eringa camping was a railing (maybe 2) were cut from the heritage listed stockyards across the track there, very poor form by some visitors.

We also saw some of the old gum exposed roots cut out with chainsaw, obviously for firewood.

If in doubt, or even to set a good example of friendly camper, give them a call on 08 8870 7960 and ask for permission to camp there and no trace will be left of your visit etc.
Trust needs to be built.

Nothing wrong with the Hamilton camping either, reasonable cost, we've stayed there in the past.
FollowupID: 864192

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 16:19

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 16:19
I thought that you weren't supposed to camp within 500m of a waterhole or watering point through that area.

FollowupID: 864205

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 17:16

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 17:16
Thanks guys, great bit of useful info, I'll be passing on all the info, so we can work out what we will be doing..
Can't understand why some need to distroy things to have a fire, yeah it's nice to sit around a fire.. But it's not the be all and end all of camping.. Last trip 8 weeks, only had a fire 3 nights.. That's just how it was.. Either fire ban, or not permitted.. All good.. Thanks again all.. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 864209

Sponsored Links