lawn hill & cape York

g'day : trip advice , looking at a trip this July august 4 weeks, Adelaide ~ birdsville ~ lawn hill ~ cape york & return to SA , if any one would like to give me suggestion on route to take place must see link to blogs etc
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - rooster350 - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:11
Have a look at a map for a start...then have a think about just what you are going to /want to see in 4 weeks over that distance, in my opinion...not much. To have any sort of a decent look you will probably need at least twice that long, you have some rough territory to cover in your time frame and it will be just drive, drive, drive with a little bit of sleep in between maybe...there is just to much to see and do for me to list here , but at least a day or 2 or 3 at lawn hill and I have not been to the other two but there is one hell of a lot to see..cheers and good luck
AnswerID: 595483

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:22
Nick, G'day, that is a very quick time frame for a trip like that. I would skip Lawn Hill as you really need a few days there and concentrate on getting to the Cape and back. So much to do on the Cape that you will run out of time. Maybe an easier and quicker run via Broken Hill, Cobar, Bourke, Lyndhurst, Cairns etc. Then relax and enjoy your time on the Cape.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595484

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:23
With 4 weeks from Adelaide I would not be going further than Birdsville and Innaminka.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595485

Reply By: Malcom M - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:55
The 4 weeks is just for the Cape York bit, right?
Thats a huge area with a ton of stuff to see just by itself.

Do you have a basic itinerary of what you are thinking?
Are you going for adventure or gray nomading?
How are you getting to Birdsville - via the Simpson?

Nowhere near enough time. Your not going to see much as you'll be rushing about.
I had 6 weeks ex Sydney. Straight up the black top to Cairns (about 4 days), 4 and a bit weeks from there up and down, drive back to Sydney. You are traveling further plus I'm guessing a lot of dirt along the way.
Having spent 4 weeks on the Cape, I saw very little really. Its a huge area with a ton of stuff to see and play in.

It all depends on what you are expecting I guess but its a long way to go and going to cost a lot of fuel just to rush about.
AnswerID: 595486

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:42

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:42
Having done this several times from Adelaide can I suggest you do check the map. We cover around 10,600km on this trip without a lot of sight seeing and we take a quick run using a lot of dirt and bitumen. Comments on spending time on the Cape are spot on we reckon two months to really explore and even then not getting it all done.

A Simpson crossing via Birdsville, Innamincka, Coongie Lakes and Broken Hill takes us around 14 days and that is moving each day and we do not travel at night to avoid the obvious risks

A visit to Lawn Hill and touching some of the Gulf Country would be a stretch in that time frame in my view

Rob
AnswerID: 595490

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 13:27
One thing to take note of I am a resident of Broken Hill for over 15 years now and one thing keeps cropping up each holidays season and that is the number of Accidents

many are people from the city try to get up this way and further on and try to rush and end up going home via RFDS

What you do not know is we have a major problem with wild life Emus and Roos and wild goats wandering on the roads , the drought is making things really bad

so driving is a real pain you have to have eyes in the back of your head and be thinking all the time trying to see the wild life and the emus are a bugger they just for no reason just run out into the road , one ran into the side of my car last week I did not even see it till it was too late,

I was lucky he hit the wheel I was expecting major damage a tiny scratch

Also Road conditions can change over night with just a little rain out this way

You may be experienced the roads up this way many be not but rushing all that way to the cape and back to me is asking for problems

plan a easy holiday and enjoy it and one day when you get the time then go

There is a huge choice of places to see in 4 weeks not far from Adelaide

AnswerID: 595493

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:26
I am not sure if any one was watching all4adenture when they did a gear box they went to some repair shop in Weipa I think it was and the number of vehicles all with water and off road damage

many people just do not see how many vehicles get towed home from the cape I just would not guess how many but it would be expensive and soul destroying event
FollowupID: 864197

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 00:25

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 00:25
sounds like your not having much fun with the wild life .....
all4adventures isn't that a TV show ....lol
P.S I;m not from the city~ just a reference point .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 864230

Follow Up By: allein m - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:37

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:37
I had to ring local police I was just ten ks from Broken Hill and they came and put the animal down

heshe broke leg I was sitting on 110kph I had just put a new car battery in and went for a run to charge it up

They were amazed at how little damage they said it is getting really bad with accidents and wild life .

One lady said she had never seen so many emus and wild goats in her life driving from Sydney to Perth what a shock for here

FollowupID: 864234

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 13:50

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 13:50
Hi Nick

I've written a couple of blogs on trips through Western Queensland and the Gulf Savannah...they don't cover the Cape though...

Outback Queensland & Gulf Savannah - 2011

Outback Queensland and Gulf Savannah - 2010

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 595494

Follow Up By: allein m - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:29

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:29
Hi Landy I hope you had good Cristmas and and good New year traffic cops were busy through the outback almost wore my scanner out

lots of RBT s in remote back roads
FollowupID: 864198

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:54

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:54
Not the answer you requested Nick, but I'll chance a comment............too far in the available time for a 'quality trip' in my view.....your plan covers some fabulous regions and places, but sitting behind the wheel and scooting across the outback for most of the day will probably become the most memorable activity of the trip (and that long distance driving, on gravel especially, can be come very wearing). Pick a shorter trip, drive less each day, camp with a nice fire, and see more ! Hope it all turns out well......planning 6 months in advance is a good start.
AnswerID: 595498

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 15:41

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 15:41
hey nickb
when we did our cape York trip in 97 ,we had 1 week to cairns ,3 weeks to the tip an back to Cairns an 1 week to home , 10,000 ks +or - a few
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 595500

Reply By: Top End Az - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 23:25

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 23:25
I can undersrand people wanting to see as much as possible in 4 weeks which is school holidays or their annual leave quota. We are in that boat, but what we have done is see "everything" closest to us, and gradually fan out from there and then each trip we punch out the kays to get to "launching point" for the next trip from where we last were so from Darwin usually a few full days behind the wheel to say get to Townsville or Adelaide
I would suggest write down in order what you want to see in order from most to least and go from there. But sounds a bit much from what you have posted. Either choose The Cape or the interior.
AnswerID: 595519

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 23:46

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 23:46
thanks T.E.A ... at this stage i dont know what are the must see places on the cape section .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 864229

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 23:39

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 23:39
thanks for replies : so what your saying is i need to add a few day to my trip plan ......lol
try this a different way .....
Is lakeland the start of the dirt ? and about 800ks to tip ? av speed 50ks or less ?
NOT look at doing the telegraph track or anything to adventurous ....
must see places , as i haven't been there b4 need some suggestions please .
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 595520

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:49

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:49
Depending on the state of the development roads, the Tele can be a lot easier to do and most of it is not hard.
This was the case with our last trip. Took a little longer but a way easier, less corrugated trip on the Tele (or at least chunks of it). The main roads where a nightmare.
Need to keep your options open on that one.

FollowupID: 864240

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 06:59

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 06:59
Nick
Regarding the Tip, buy the HEMA or Ron Moon book on the Cape, read it, then come back and ask more specific questions if you still intend doing the Tip. You can buy those books from the Shop on this web site
I can't add anything constructive additional to what previous respondents have said regarding your ambitious schedule
Mark
AnswerID: 595523

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 09:23

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 09:23
thanks Mark , Have just ordered the Ron moon book ~ yes ~ will still be going just need more time for trip ~ just put 4 weeks up as a starting point for discussion . cant see it all !!

I hear good things about lawn hill , that's a must see & the tip
Jardine river ~ an old mate told me about crossing pre 70's
I need to find refueling places ( petrol LC ) etc
just started research on trip as we made the decision to go
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 864232

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:54

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 13:54
Nick
Refuelling inCape York on PDR is not a problem, fuel stations at least every 200km. When we did the PDR mid last year it was almost a high quality dirt highway for most of it.
Lawn Hill & surrounding area is great, we spent 3 days there, could have spent another 2-3.
Make sure you get a paper map of the Cape as well, Ron Moon's book has fantastic fine detail about the Cape, but I found a fold out map far easier for planning travel.
You probably already know this from your Kimberley travels, have a broad plan, but keep it flexible with some lay days for when things go wrong and or you want to spend longer in certain spots.
If you do a search you will find a few Posts every year similar to this, answers already exist to your current questions and more questions you will think of later
Mark
FollowupID: 864246

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 18:04

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 18:04
Thanks again Mark very help full ~ agree with your comments ~ appreciated
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 864259

Reply By: Malcolm 02 - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:01

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:01
Looked at the map to refresh my memories and I reckon a trip like you suggested is feasible, driving up the Birdsville track, then to Mt. Isa, Lawn Hill, Burketown, Normanton. From here you may have a choice either via the Gulf Developmental Road or via the Burke Developmental Road and turning off at the Mitchel River and short cutting to the Peninsular Developmental Road, coming out 23ks south of Musgrave Roadhouse. We took that short cut in 2005 when we went to the tip with friends and it added some interest without losing much time. On the return trip we went down through Cairns. Things may have changed since then due to permits required or track changing due to floods etc, others will comment perhaps if that is so. We took a fortnight for the Peninsular trip, but didn't take any of the side trips accept to Weipa (that's the trouble with traveling with friends who aren't as adventurous as yourself, eventually we left them at Old Laura and went up to Cape Melville by our selves)
A longer time period would be good but better to rush a bit than not do these things at all. My wife who wants to see and do everything would get frustrated when I would come up with one of my three excuses, (not enough time, to dangerous or not enough fuel). Only scared her ounce when she asked me to turn back which I did.

Be adventures and see what you can when you can.
Mal
AnswerID: 595536

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 18:00

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 18:00
Thanks Mal for your comments , just what i was hoping for I.E route :-)
we most likely be on our own , was planning to go with good mate's but don't know now if they will be available for trip :-( who's are very adventurous !! We did GRR on our own with no problems .

when you say scared & dangerous what do you refer to there ??

Thanks again for all your comments very appreciated !!

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 864257

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 15:15

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 15:15
Hi Nick

Here's a bit of the itinerary we did. This is cairns - tip - cairns only

Cairns to Lions Den hotel via Daintree
Lions Den to Cooktown
Cooktown to Elim Beach
Elim Beach to Laura
Laura to Coen
Coen to Chilli Beach
Chilli Beach to Bramwell station
Bramwell to Elliot Falls
Elliot to Seisha
Day trips from Seisha to tip, Punsand bay, lots of stuff at the top end.
Seisha back to Vrilya Point if road open
Vrilya Point to Elliot falls
Elliot falls to Captain Billy Landing
Captain Billy to Weipa
Weipa to Oyala Thumotang Nat Park
Oyala Thumotang to Rinyirru (Lakefield) NP
Rinyirru to Cape Melville
Cape Melville to wherever

* Time at each spot is up to you to research, lots to see but no time to do it.
* Fuel is seldom a problem. Usually less than 300Km between potential fuel spots plus food.
* Note, the Nat Parks need to be booked in advance via the internet. Lots of rangers patrol these.
* Make sure you have a Telstra phone, the others are useless up there. If you're on your own and want to be adventurous then consider a sat phone. No guarantee anyone's coming along the less used tracks for some time. I bought a sat phone after our trip due to discovering first hand how badly things can go wrong up there.
* Ensure you have spare parts, tools plus fluids incl brake and steering. Everything is trucked or barged in up there so expensive and a long wait. Spent two weeks in Weipa waiting on a steering rack.
* Make sure you have NRMA/RACQ type roadside assistance plus a list of their agents.

Thats a start, others can chime in as well.

AnswerID: 595552

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 17:33

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 17:33
thanks muchly for your feed back very appreciated !!
will take that on board cheers .

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 864255

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 18:00

Thursday, Jan 28, 2016 at 18:00
And another thing, heaps of the communities up there have alcohol restrictions with very heavy fines up to & incl vehicle confiscation. There's tourist maps that show these.
Lots of research :)
FollowupID: 864258

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 22:20

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 22:20
we have done both Lawn Hill and Cape york. 14 weeks for Lawn Hill from Bannockburn and 18 weeks for Cape york with a side trip to the Birdsville races.
I wouldn't even try to do both in 4 weeks.
We spent 20 days going from Cairns to the tip and back to Cairns, this was still not really long enough.

Good luck????
AnswerID: 595792

Sponsored Links