WA wildflowers

Submitted: Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 08:11
ThreadID: 131518 Views:1824 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at spending a few weeks in the Geraldton - Mt. Augustus - Gascoyne Junction - Carnarvon - Denham region in July/August and would appreciate any suggestions on the best wild flower identification books which cover that area.
Thanks , Poitr
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 10:34

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 10:34
DECS (WA Department of Environment and Conservation) have a range of small books (Bush Books - about 2 dozen titles) covering all aspects of the WA natural environment.....a few $ each, at their offices (maybe elsewhere too). Those covering plants include the main flowers for the region....not all...not enough space....you'd need to part with significant $ on a book that covers all possibilities I guess. My blog on our SW region flower trip back in 2009 identifies some (other members here contributed ID's for many in that list). With your trip being further north and earlier than ours, the flower range will be somewhat different.
AnswerID: 595755

Follow Up By: poitr - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 17:26

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 17:26
Thanks Darian, I'll try the DEC.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 864489

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 13:54

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 13:54
Hi Poitr, You will most likely not find a single book that covers even a majority of the wildflowers in that region of WA which is an incredibly biodiverse area. There are many books available so what you want or need will depend a lot on how you want to use it (eg finding a common name or finding a full species level identification) and your level of botanical expertise. Also how much you want to spend and how big a box of books you want to carry around. That said you will come across a range of books for sale in tourist centres etc and some quite good small size publications covering localised areas.Then there are publications covering specific plant groups eg orchids, Eucalypts etc. A google search will find some of these. There are also some good online resources if you have internet access - Florabase and Atlas of Living Australia are probably the most relevant but are technically based and may not suit non tech people. I hope you find what you need and that there are plenty of wildflowers for you to find. I also hope that you take lots of photos and add some of them to the wildflower section of this site.
Cheers,
Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 595766

Follow Up By: poitr - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 17:33

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 17:33
John and Val,
Thanks for the input. We are from the east and really just would like to be able to identify the wildflowers we see, if we are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. We'll certainly be doing a lot of googling beforehand calling in at the local tourist centres and stores so with a bit of luck, we should be armed with sufficient reference material to get by.
Cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 864490

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 19:10

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 19:10
Hi

I also agree that the small DEC (DPAW) books are pretty good. $6.95 each.

If you can I suggest you get a hold of a Guide to the Wildflowers of Western Australia, Simon Nevill Publications, $27.99.

Regards
AnswerID: 595780

Follow Up By: poitr - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 08:33

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 08:33
Thanks Rowdy
Peter
FollowupID: 864519

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 20:34

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 20:34
Hi Poitr,

The books I find most useful for the trip to WA and while we are there are:
"A Guide to Inland Plants of Australia" by Philip Moore ( takes you to that part of the coast of WA);
"Guide to the Wildflowers of Western Australia" by Simon Nevill et al. (already suggested by Rowdy); and
"Wildflowers of Southern Western Australia" by Margaret G. Corrick and Bruce A. Fuhrer.

Your proposed trip encompasses two botanical provinces of WA, the Eremean Province and the northern part of the South-West Province

We hope to be in that region at the same time. Let's hope for good rain in late May and early June.

Enjoy,
Min
AnswerID: 595785

Follow Up By: poitr - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 08:34

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 08:34
Thanks Min. That rain would be good!
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 864520

Reply By: Member - Munji - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 11:43

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 11:43
poitr

check out Wildflowers of Western Australia - Eddy Wajon