Sandflag query

Seeking some advise from anyone who has the 4x4 Equip 3m sandflag. It appears to have a number of practical features such as the lockable mount and thicker (?less flexible) mast. On the potentially negative side it has elastic cord connecting the three sections and is only deployable as a 3m pole (no option for a smaller pole). Is this cord easily changed when it perishes? Is there enough friction in the joins to keep the pole together while off-road if the elastic cord fails? While I'm leaning towards this product, I'm struggling to justify a 50% premium for a piece of equipment I will use infrequently.
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 21:23

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 21:23
Buy a cheap 3 piece surf rod , that's what the mates and l use , bought em years ago , cheap with a reel at a show ,
When you get to the coast , you can go fishin .
AnswerID: 595844

Follow Up By: Member - Allan K (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 22:50

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 22:50
Not a bad idea, definitely worth a consideration. Thanks.
FollowupID: 864576

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 21:33

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 21:33
Why worry about the cost of a sandflag compared to a head on with someone who didnt know you were on the other side ?????

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595845

Follow Up By: Member - Allan K (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 23:07

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 23:07
You are right Keith. Not a question of not using a flag, just a question of getting the best use of available funds. These flag costs span from $400 and I'm very rarely in areas where they are needed or in deed practical. But there are places where their use is sensible and increasingly legally required.
FollowupID: 864577

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 09:19

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 09:19
$400 - that is ridiculous. I can't see how anyone can justify that. Maybe it is a commercial one and has a price hike because it is specifically targeting the OH&S safety market.

We purchased a three piece one from ARB for about $80. It was a few years back so I don't know how much they are today. I mounted a bit of narrow pipe insulation (with cable ties) on the bullbar and it simply slips into it.

Phil
FollowupID: 864590

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 10:54

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 10:54
Don't know where you got $400 from. I bought one of these for $80 odd:

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Sand-Flags

for my Canning Trip - one of the one piece ones - pole got bashed from pillar to post, bent over double many times, and came back fine. Couldn't kill the thing. Trouble with fishing poles and other 'hybrid' or cheap options is the first time you brush something - SNAP !!!
FollowupID: 864780

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 12:17

Sunday, Feb 07, 2016 at 12:17
'
The other general problem with fishing-rod poles is that they bend back with the vehicle forward motion and the flag becomes low and near the rear of the vehicle thus not visible to approaching traffic on a dune.

Owners of these do not see the problem from the driver's seat and believe their flags are OK.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 864783

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 22:00

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 22:00
We've got the sand flag for sale on this site.
It's good and sturdy at any height.

Steve
AnswerID: 595846

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 22:17

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 22:17
Have one off the shop here, the 2-3M one for about $120.

Notice they are selling the 4X4 Equip flag you mention Allan, in shop here. Wouldn't have a clue how long the shock cord lasts, but the cord in our el-cheapo tent has lasted about 10 years.

The one we have has a quick release Nitto fitting on the bull bar. If worried about theft, just unclip it in town and lock away.Well, after removing a section or two.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 864574

Follow Up By: Member - Allan K (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 23:57

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 23:57
Thanks eighty matey and Bob.
FollowupID: 864578

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 20:47

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 20:47
No worries Allan
FollowupID: 864626

Reply By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 23:59

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2016 at 23:59
A , 120 to 400 bucks , l think out surf rods cost about $50 , with a reel and line , used crossing the Simpson 4 times , on beaches , in the Simpson we had the highest , best most visible flags in the desert , don't want it full hight , only use 2 pieces , and I've caught fish in WA , Cape York , SA and here in Vic with it .

I used a bit of stainless steel , milk line secured to the bull bar with a couple of big hose clamps , to slip the handle in , bit of tape to stop it spinning around , you could use any bit of pipe , even PVC would do the job as a mount .

AnswerID: 595849

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:05

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:05
I use two 1200mm lengths of 10mm fibreglass electric fence rod joined with a stainless tube glued with araldite on one rod and mounted on an antenna spring.
Flag sewn up from hi-viz vest all up under $40 ,what th ?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595851

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:19

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 07:19
Allan,
I have the 4x4 Equip 3m flag kit as available from the ExplorOz shop.
It does not have any cord connecting the sections.
The 3 sections screw together and the base has a detachable fitting that screws onto a standard antenna bracket. If you don't need the full height, just screw the baynet fitting to the top bit which has the flag attached, or leave one section out. you can use one, two, or three sections to provide the height you desire.
I leave the bayonet fitting permanently attached to the bracket and add either two or three sections as required. I have to admit I haven't used it all that often but I like the compact storage when it is broken down into its sections.
The only fishing related item I use for it is a plastic rod storage case which keeps everything together.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 595852

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 08:17

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 08:17
Cheep cheep ....

Length of grey conduit from Bunnies, 25mm diameter, $5
Fluoro safety flag from eBay, about $8
Short PVC pipe fitted to bullbar as a socket so the pole could come off easily, $0
Hose clamp and some cable ties for the socket, maybe $5

Lasted 1.1 Simpson crossings. Broke just above the socket where most of the bending happened. Simply reinserted, a bit shorter.

A two-piece could be made by positioning the conduit socket end in the middle with a bit of dowel reinforcing.

The grey conduit is medium strength, the orange high. But too distracting IMO. The break could probably have been prevented with a length of dowel reinforcement, of a diameter so allow it to flex to some degree.

This design is available free under the Creative Commons license.
AnswerID: 595855

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 10:04

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 10:04
G'day Mate

I bought a 3.6 metre carbon fibre telescopic fishing rod pole off ebay for $20 delivered - put a 50 mm bolt thru the 2nd aerial mount on the bullbar - unscrewed the end cap of the pole - cut some slots in the end of the pole - slid it over the bolt and fastened it with a worm drive clamp to the bolt - taped a hi viz flag to the pointy end and for about 30 bucks you are done. When not needed just unscrew it and the whole things collapses to 65cm and fits just about anywhere in your vehicle and weighs stuff all !

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 595859

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 12:11

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 12:11
I use an old fibreglass screw on 122mHz antennae, but with a recommended height of 3m, I could just paint it on the front :)

Cheers,
Peter,
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 595867

Reply By: Member - David P (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 22:10

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2016 at 22:10
Even cheaper sand flag.

Get a length of 20mm orange electrical conduit and cut to how long you want the sand flag. One recommendation is the top should be at least 3 metres above the ground
Get a 10mm coach bolt as long as possible a couple of plain nuts and a nylock nut to suit.
Grind down the diameter of the head of the coach bolt until it just fits inside the electrical conduit.
Heat the bottom end of the conduit and force over one of the plain nuts (easier if the nut is on the bolt) then remove the nut from conduit.
To stiffen the conduit up insert approximately a metre of 12mm x12mm square wood inside the bottom end of the conduit. This is slightly larger than the conduit and it needs the corners sanded off until it fits.
Decide how much thread you will need at the end for mounting.
Put the head of coach bolt into conduit and then fill up with something like liquid nails. Get as much in the gap as possible.
Put the plain nuts on the bolt and run them down to the desired position to leave threads for mounting. Tighten them up against each other then force one nut into the conduit, leaving the other out of the conduit. It's good to have some liquid nails around the nut and on the thread.
Secure the flag ($5 orange safety vest) with cable ties.

Mount the sand flag and secure with the nylock nut using the exposed plain nut to stop the sand flag rotating.

AnswerID: 595886

Follow Up By: rotor138 - Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 07:24

Friday, Feb 05, 2016 at 07:24
I pretty much did this but used grey conduit and used 16mm cunduit inside the 20mm conduit. When needed I cable tied it to the side upright of the bull bar. Did the Simpson crossing that I needed it to do and has lived in shed ever since (at least till recently when I ditched it).
FollowupID: 864679

Sponsored Links