Batteries Batteries Batteries AHHH!

Well in dilemma now, got told running AGM Deep Cycle battery as AUX...will kill it quick and not suited to charge well off the alternator .. I have Dual battery isolater that can switch to using 2 battery for cranking.
I got told have to buy BCDC..etc. I already spent plenty of dough on Hilux..What are every ones thoughts...OR....
Wondering if ran just 2 Marine batteries 110ah with 670cca. Just want to run 39l Engel and use inverter to charge laptop .Also have 100watt Solar panel soft portable type .
Driving.... me crazy ..well not as no batteries in Hilux !!!! thanks... just want to get sorted out for long trip and not get stuck otherwise be end of my marriage ...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 14:54

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 14:54
Who told you that?

AGMs are well suited as an aux battery to run fridges etc as long as you don't flatten them below about 50%. That is why they are used in caravans. If you have a so called 'smart' alternator fitted to your Hilux you may have problems charging.

You should have no reason to switch to 2 batteries for starting other than in an emergency when the start battery is flat.

The solar panel can be connected to the battery to assist with charging.
AnswerID: 596286

Reply By: Roachie Silverado - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 14:55

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 14:55
Not sure who has told you not to use an AGM as an auxilliary, but as far as I'm concerned they are the best one for the job (aside from the new Lithiums which I don't know enough about to comment).

However, in my experience, the BIG over-rider to my previous comment is the LOCATION of said AGM battery.

I have been using AGM batteries for about 14 years now but I NEVER mount them under the bonnet.

I have always located them in the back, close to the "job" they have to do.....(eg: fridge etc). That way they are away from the heat of the engine; and it is heat (as well as improper maintenance/charging) that kills the AGMs.

I bought my first AGM in 2002; a 120a/h Fullriver. That battery was still going strong in my Landcruiser when I sold it a few months ago. It had always been located in the rear of my (3) vehicles during all that time.

It is my understanding that AGMs in general, will accept charge from an alternator, solar, DC-DC charger or a 240 volt charger. Over those last 14 years, my Fullriver had seen charging from all of those sources at various times.

The other factor is: Never let them get too discharged. I had a "rule" that I wouldn't allow my battery/ies get below about 12.4 volts if possible.

I agree that ideally a DC-DC charger (eg: Redarc BC-DC type) is a great idea, but not essential. It just means that if you mount the aux battery in the rear, as I suggested, you really need to also use heavier gauge cable to charge it, whereas if you mounted a DC-DC charger close to the battery in the back (as I did), then you can get away with smaller gauge cable (say 6mm sq, which is still a decent size cable, but easier to run to the back than the heavy gauge stuff like you'd use in an Anderson plug).

Roachie
AnswerID: 596287

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:05

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:05
Hi

Good advice not to mount them under the bonnet ...it even says on the Century battery website

"...... It is strongly recommended that you avoid fitting Deep Cycle AGM batteries under the bonnet of your vehicle as this will void the warranty."

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 865192

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:19

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:19
Thanks R..S I bought the Hilux already with the dual battery set up and the 2nd battery is away from major heat from engine. Still would get hot I suppose .So what can I do now ..cheers..
FollowupID: 865193

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:45

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:45
I have had a deep cycle 80ah under the bonnet for 5 year and has not been a problem I use it as a crank battery.....as you are going to be moving around in the car most days your car will charge the battery while your driving and the solar will top them up when you are stopped... You will have plenty of power left for PC and lights etc.....

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865194

Follow Up By: skulldug - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 16:08

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 16:08
I'm just into my 6th year with a 100 ah AGM under the bonnet - no problems so far.
FollowupID: 865197

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 17:36

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 17:36
With Roachie on this one - have had only 2 AGM 110ah Deep Cycle batteries in 10 years. Both have been located in the vehicle close to the fridge, the only bit of trickery I have is a Redarc isolator under the bonnet and now have a charge controller for the solar panels. Never had any issues.
FollowupID: 865199

Follow Up By: Tony F8 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 18:37

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 18:37
I have an 80 series cruiser, and have been running an AGM's under the bonnet in the factory aux battery mount for 17 years, I am now on my 2nd battery, so do the maths, that is 8 years per battery. My first battery was a Trojan and the second a Fullriver, had the Fullriver tested recently and came up the same spec as a new one. Each to their own, but 8 years under the bonnet is not a bad run
FollowupID: 865202

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 20:11

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 20:11
It sounds like my setup is very similar to Scott M. I have had 4 DC batteries over the last 30 or so years. Whoever told you that an AGM DC is not suitable for running any appliance that draws current slowly rather than what is required cranking a car engine is talking through their hat.
Personally I wouldn't mount anything other than a battery that I could top up the water in under the bonnet. As you probably know AGM stands for absorbed glass matt. Without going into detail what that means is that you cannot top up the water level, so over charging or the inherent hot environment under a car bonnet can shorten their life. Others seem to think this is not a problem, and all I can say is to each their own.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 865208

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:13

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:13
What Roachie said is good advice. If you have to mount your deep cycle under the bonnet use a wet cell, I believe they can handle the heat a lot better..............Jeff
AnswerID: 596290

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:33

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:33
Intersting if the system is already there and working ok forget what others are telling you and see how it performs.

The AGM may be rated for heat, if not as you already have it leave it till it dies and then maybe look at a Marine battery or other AGM.

As the setup was already here check to see if the previous owner fitted a booster diode, if he has you shouldn'thave any issues with charge voltage.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596291

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:51

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:51
Hi thanks the original Toyota battery was used as aux bat and some Thai made battery as cranker both lead acid 600cca.The Hilux is 2010 so looks like last owner got good life out of them if original.They are both dead now and wanting to replace with whats best but reading and listening to people made me more confused...
FollowupID: 865195

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:55

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:55
Sorry forgot to ask what does booster diode look like.Under the Redarc attached to battery tray is heat sinc not sure whats that for and ARB would not tell me even though it was fitted by them with their branding cheers
FollowupID: 865196

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 16:39

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 16:39
I'd go with Marine Pro's excellent value for money, the booster replaces the
"ALT-S" fuse in the engine bay fuse box, if its one of mine it will look like a
normal fuse but will have either a black or gold lower body.

Other brands will sit up above the other fuses.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865198

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 17:44

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 17:44
Hi HKB or anybody where would the Diode Booster be in Diesel Hilux,,,too many cables and fuses under bonnet thanks
FollowupID: 865200

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 18:48

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 18:48
Hi

I can only repeat what HKB has already said. You should have a fuse box in the engine bay. Open up the fuse box and look for the fuse marked "ALT-S".

If the normal fuse has been replaced with a booster it should look as described by HKB.

While I am not familiar with the Hilux, I imagine it should be similar to the Prado and mine is fitted with one of HKB's boosters with no problems.

Regards
Rowdy
FollowupID: 865203

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:32

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:32
Hi guys checked that fuse ALT S just normal brown plastic fuse.So I need to buy Diode Booster .Sounds too easy do I get my Degree in Auto Electrical engineering..ha ha ha.
Be happy to get her going again thanks
FollowupID: 865206

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 21:17

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 21:17
If you wish to optimise the charging use of a booster will optimise the
charge voltage.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865209

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:46

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:46
hi
stick with the 2x marine batteries .
Century marine pro 620 75ah
Century marine pro 720 100ah
As u have said the 100ahr is the way to go
There are some whats called hybrid batteries AGM that do both duties [crank/deep cycle ] and have an underbonnet warranty . This may be an alternate choice .
100ahr is a good size to start .
100watts of solar is not giving a lot of wiggle room . A little light on for cloudy days /high demand periods .
Going the way u r suggesting, expansion is just to duplicate what u already have to allow for bigger fridges etc etc

Run your electrical loads via a low voltage disconnect . ABR sidewinder sells a couple of different units at a good price . These will save your batteries/wallet by not overdischarging batt therefore shortening its life .

swamp
AnswerID: 596292

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:53

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 15:53
For years we ran two identical Allrounder 105 ah batteries with a 200 amp Redarc isolator between them. One was wired for cranking and the second for 4WD accessories such as the fridge, a 40 lt Engel, and anything that we wanted to charge, mainly just the satellite phone that would hold a charge for a week. We never used it. No mobiles etc, just a laptop on the odd occasion we took it.

This was okay for two night stops.

We then got a 21 lt as a second fridge, used only as a freezer, for longer overnight stops up to three nights. So we got another matching Allrounder and installed it in parallel with the accessory battery. All three under the bonnet of the 100 series.

The only problem we have had with this setup was that the crank broke inside on the CSR. Luckily all were identical so all I had to do was take the broken one out of circuit and insert one of the two accessory ones in it's place until we got the broken one replaced.

Just to confuse you, along comes another option. The car is a Toyota 4.2td 100 series.

All three can be switched into circuit for tasks such as winching.

Phil
AnswerID: 596293

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 18:53

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 18:53
I second Phil's choice of Supercharge Allrounder for underbonnet combined crank/deep cycle use.

I had one in my Prado. The dc-dc charger that I used to charge it was programmed to stop charging at a battery temp of 50 degC, but would continue to monitor and record the peak battery temperature. The highest I saw was well over 60 degC, which is pretty bloody hot. The Allrounder stood up to that for 5 years.

It's a wet cell "maintenance free" battery and won't break the bank if you buy one.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865205

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:57

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:57
My experience with supercharge allrounders is not quite so rosy. We had an account with them for quite a while and while they are o.k., they certainly aren't good if being used for deep cycling. 18 odd months to two years was the norm for running fridges etc, which, when worked out on a $per cycle average is about right for what you pay for them.
We get max cycles out of optima and odyssey batteries and when worked back on a $per cycle average, the 'expensive' batteries are the cheapest in the long run every time. If we only let them down to 12.4v they'd probably have a half life of 150 years - joking! Once a week at least they'll be down to fridge cutout (10.6v for evakool?) and recharged. We see 10+ years from them. Don't be confused by optimas 75 ah max capacity. In small vehicle systems battery internal resistance is just as important and optima is very strong here. They recharge much faster off solar and short runs than most others and I'd back one against most 100 ah batteries in a camping/touring environment.
Bottom line, there's no such thing as a bargain battery. I pay just over $300 for an optima but for me that is cheap insurance.
FollowupID: 865216

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 00:20

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 00:20
Hi Gbc so you sayng a Optima 75ah is as good ss 100ah AGM.battery .It would be good for me as my battery tray for aux can not hold the 100ah batteries but optima batterry yes

FollowupID: 865228

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 07:38

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 07:38
You won't go wrong with one. I run a single optima 75 a.h. as my second battery running the fridge 24/7. They are an excellent battery and probably better than most middle value 100 ah batteries at most things. Optimas like a multi stage charge every now and then (I run a ctec 250d as an isolator which looks after that) but so do most others too. I got my last one from the mark's adapters shop online for about $300.
FollowupID: 865229

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:44

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:44
BTW Optimas are AGM construction as well
FollowupID: 865235

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:55

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:55
Looked into them GBC but I can not fit the 75ah one as battery tray can only handle 300mm length and can not fit anywhere else under bonnet would 55ah Optima be to small to run fridge etc thanks
FollowupID: 865237

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:39

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:39
I know some of the guys on the Px ranger forum are fitting 55's under the rear seat to run fridges. I would think a day and a half would pull them up in the real world running a fridge.
FollowupID: 865240

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:42

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:42
Is it also true I csn not run Calcium to Calcium battery in my Hilux 2010 diesel ..???
FollowupID: 865241

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:50

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:50
That i cannot answer. Sounds strange though?
FollowupID: 865242

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:05

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:05
Optima's may be fine in certain conditions, but I killed one in six months, running it in the engine bay of the Jackaroo I once owned.
In my experience, they don't like heat any more than other AGM type batteries.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 865249

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:37

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:37
I'm not calling you out, but they have a 2 or 3 year replacement warranty out of the box so I hope you chased them up about your significant investment.
Optimas will discharge down to 4v and recharge again. Once they are below about 10.5 lots of generic battery chargers won't 'see' them, and start beeping that the battery is stuffed when in fact it isn't. There is a common way of paralleling an optima with a charged battery to get the charger to kick. I have been caught by that myself. I hope it wasn't your case and you threw away a good one. They aren't current regulated until they hit 55 odd degrees c so are one of the better ones for under bonnet use. They are common in drag and race cars.
FollowupID: 865251

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:04

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:04
Haven't read all the replies but batteries aside you are better off charging the laptop with a 12v laptop adapter rather than an inverter. 12v charging is much more efficient. Inverters should only be used when this no other solution. AGM battery is fine and you might want to suppliment the charging with a solar panel.
AnswerID: 596297

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:12

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:12
Good point. We got one from ebay. Can't recall how much it was. And from an Australian supplier in Sydney.

We don't even take an inverter now. But we also have extra usb and cigarette outlets in the both the front console and back seat area, that can be used for "toy" charging.

Phil
FollowupID: 865214

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:41

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:41
Take a look at the CAT range of batteries.
a 175-4390 product number, 1000 CCA And at a price of $145 you just cant be beat..
Dont get all charged up over batteries.
A Pussy battery will solve all your troubles he he he he
plenty of starting grunt and extra spare in times of need like winching or running the stereo to your dolly parton songs ;-)

And spare cash to burn, that will keep the other CAT happy :-)
AnswerID: 596299

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:58

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 19:58
Sometimes in Thailand you get Pussy Battery with nuts included anyways wondering do they do dual purpose battery or AGM Deep .theres Cat place not far from.me cheers
FollowupID: 865207

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 21:40

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 21:40
Stephen, there is never any right answer - too many variables.
My preference with 2 batteries in the heat under the bonnet is to use identical cranking wet cell batteries. I buy a new one every 2 years so I'm always cranking from a fresh battery. The 2 year old cranking battery gets relegated to duties as the aux battery to run the engel which it does just fine. I drive the vehicle most days or top the battery up with a solar panel if staying put. When its 4 years old, it gets pensioned off - usually to one of my son's cars or his shed.
I use AGM batteries in the traytop we had, in the Tvan and also the caravan. I killed an AGM once by charging it off the alternator - I had great wiring so the battery would easily get 45A going into it but the fineprint on the battery case said max initial charge current of 27A. Lots of AGMs have current restrictions and will lose capacity if charged too fast. Optimas are a notable exception, with no restriction on charging current. I also killed a wet cell battery by upsizing the voltage in the heat of an Adelaide summer - boiled the battery and it never recovered.

So in your situation, 2 marine batteries is a great choice and with the aid of 100W solar you will have no trouble running the engel and laptop.
AnswerID: 596341

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 22:25

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 22:25
Thanks Phil G seems most people too point to dual marine batteries.Problem is fitting the Century 730 as Aux tray only 300mm +maybe 2 to 3mm and that battery 305mm long.Can not make bigger the tray.But found SSB Deep cycle marine batterry with 110ah and 670 cca. 303mm .So that is one I must go with with. About $230each not as cheap as Century. .Australian company but Chinese made
.I also thought of combination the Marine with Supercharge Gold 810 cca heard pretty hard to kill the Supercharge ..But would 2 different batteries be good together.Cheers
FollowupID: 865225

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:28

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:28
Hi Stephen F2

I have an SSB battery in the canopy of my ute. It needs the following charging parameters:

Max current 13 amps
Max volts 14.5
Float 13.6

I think an alternator will provide too much current. My solution is a DC-DC charger.

I don't know how good these batteries are in hot under-bonnet conditions - best ask someone who knows. Try Adam Blades at a.e4wdextreme@yahoo.com.au where I got mine, or their head office at (02) 9755 7851.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865244

Reply By: swampy - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:23

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:23
hi Stephen F2
The SSB battery u are looking at is a calcium/calcium battery. Your vehicle may not be suitable unless it came with calcium type from new . The charging voltage is higher and the algorithium may be different . I would enquire with SSB about suitability . There may be some dc to dc that do calcium .

I am in the same position the second battery holder in my Pk Ranger suits mostly the smaller units agh agh .

There may be others that can offer advise on a mixed battery system .

swamp
AnswerID: 596349

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:33

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:33
Thanks Swampy wow another spanner in the works...I think just lead acid.The previous owner ran 2 lead acid batteries and seems they are original as 1 toyota genuine and other obscure Thai brand.Its hassle with tray only really can fit max 303mm and happened that SSB Marine ine was perfect..I am glad you bought it up I will have to check now...
FollowupID: 865239

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:33

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:33
Stephen, Here is another issue to add to your wows/problem. A friend of mine is an electronics 'dude'. He says that having 2 different types of batteries (ie starting and deep cycle) being charged by the same alternator wont give a full charge as the resistance in the batteries are different ( I think thats what he said) and as such some confusion occurs back at the alternator about how much charge to give the batteries ie the deep cycle does not get enough charge. He suggests you should run batteries of the same type and make. I admit that I have never followed his advise as I have the starting/deep cycle combo. I only run a 40 litre Engel and charge a couple of toys for the grandson rarely staying more than 2 nights. Both batteries (wet cell) last about 3 years just ones from the battery dude in South Nowra (nsw) about $180 each. My friend used 2 starting batteries he seems to get about 4 years from his.

Something too think about?? ..............................Jeff
FollowupID: 865243

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:30

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:30
That is an urban myth, the alternator has no idea what batteries are connected to it nor does it care, it just supplies a constant float voltage, the batteries take whatever charge they will accept.

Think of it as generator, the generator doesn't know what you have plugged into the socket nor does it care it just generates 240V@50Hz.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865245

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:37

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:37
So HKB is it ok to use calcium to Calcium battery like the SSB deep cycle marine battery in my Hilux .EvenRedarc say can not ...is it all to do with sales ...
FollowupID: 865247

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:39

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:39
This is a different issue than the one above, it is ok to use different types of batteries, ie AGM's and wet cells providing they have similar charge requirements and they suit the charging system voltage.

A full calcium battery needs higher charge voltages than a calcium hybrid types, they should really be used in a vehicle that has a charging system designed specially for them. In a normal charging system they might not get a full charge, this is not to do with them being charged in parallel with the cranker it is purely a case of the charging system not being designed to charge full calcium type batteries.

Though they can be used in a normal charging system , it was believed initially that this would have an addverse affect on the life of these batteries but this seems to have not been the case.

I have seen posts by others though indicating they have had problems charging full calcium batteries in Prados for example, personnaly I would not use one unless the charging seems is designed for it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865252

Reply By: swampy - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:52

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:52
hi
An idea that may help u out to run
1x marine cranker 100ah in the engine bay
1x marine cranker 100ah in the rear tray or in factory style side

Fit the equal size battery of your choice is the best way [All batteries probably last longer when not in the engine bay]
existing isolater
Run longer cables to battery mounted in tray
You could make your own battery box or buy one
U could get an auto electrician to wire if u r not handy
All costs would be affordable
Use AT LEAST 3 b&s cable if not the larger 2b&s

swamp

PS now I understand why people do this . Some people also mount there battery under the tray either infront of the rear wheel or behind . As I said I am in the same predicament U will notice plenty of these mounting styles just have a good look around when driving .

AnswerID: 596356

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:58

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:58
I have tub and previous owner put 2 cig plugs in there so I suppose I could use that he also put 2 under back seat.Could I get aeay with just using cig plug and connect battery that way or beyter get anderson plug cheers
FollowupID: 865248

Reply By: swampy - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:49

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 13:49
hi
Stephen F2
You cannot charge a tray mount battery of the cig lighter wires
cig lighter wires should be [some use even smaller ] 6mm auto wire which = 4.5mm2 cable
charge would be very slow ,cable might run hot /melt . Don't due it . Good results are as below .

cables from main via isolater to second battery
good 6 b&s= 13mm2
better 3 b&s = 25mm2
best 2b&s = 35mm2

Hard wire to second battery
Run your cables thru amain fuse then low voltage disconnect then fused to individual circuts
fridge
led lights

An incoming connector for solar etc
incoming for a 240volt battery charger
swamp
AnswerID: 596358

Reply By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Feb 19, 2016 at 09:48

Friday, Feb 19, 2016 at 09:48
Thank you to everyone who answered my questions.Did my head in but good way to learn.I contacted a few battery places ,some wanted to sell me extra charges etc .In the end got a bit frustrated so went to local battery shop where my dad the Mechanic used to get stuff sorted.People may think why I not like my dad and understand cars.He was bad teacher but he understood cars better than people.The 2 guys in shop very helpful one had Hilux like me and explained what he had in it.In the end with discussion with both guys with different views on what to do.Ended up with 1 810cca cranking battery and other 105ah Allrounder .They will test it all out today and see how well solar panel charges the Allrounder.Very cheap $365 cash for the 2. 3 year warranty on cranking bat.See how we go can only try.Found out they import most batteries for around $30 each .So some retailers have huge mark ups on batteries.One of the guys in shop where I bought batteries used to work for the importer.Made in Philipines brand I bought.So if you see a broken down SA Silver Hilux blame me for buying cheapos ha ha ha
AnswerID: 596383

Sponsored Links