Darling River Run - Which Side?

Guys, we are planning a trip down along the Darling River mid-year and was wondering which would be the more interesting side to travel down.... Not looking for the quickest, but the more interesting and better camping too, so what are people's opinions as to which side of the river should we travel between the following sections:

Bourke - Louth
Louth - Tilpa
Tilpa - Wilcannia
Wilcannia - Menindee
Menindee - Pooncarie
Pooncarie - Wentworth

I assume I would be wasting the opportunity to see other areas if I went down one side of the river and then back home on the other?

cheers....
Rob
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:42

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:42
I can only comment on Wilcannia to Menindee, as I did it about 7 years ago.
The East side is an unmade track with many rough grids on it. I did the east side
If it rained you would be stuck for a long time.
I was told that the west side is a made road and much superior.

There is a nice campsite on the east side between Tilpa and Wilcannia called Coach and Horses about 100 Km north of the Broken Hill highway. It even has gas barbies. I didn't do the whole Tilpa to Wilcannia but entered via station tracks from the East, but AFAIR the track north of the highway was better than the south side.
BTW there were/ are no signs or bins on the east side into Menindee but it is a quarantine area.
Regards Philip A
PS, if you find a Campomatic corner leg it is mine.

AnswerID: 596313

Reply By: wholehog - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:33

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:33
Both sides are unique, both are formed dirt roads, do them both same trip or individually when you are in the area. It isn't a major epic trip from Bourke to Wilcannia/Menindee either side of the Darling River.

Another time when you are in the area, do the Wilcannia to Menindee section.

Any or those roads are going to be in various condition depending on recent weather, traffic and maintenance.

Enjoy it.
AnswerID: 596315

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 18:56

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 18:56
The Louth races are on in August, so the roads get graded, if you have time spend a couple of nights at Trilby Station, very interesting if you get the mud map and drive the Station, we covered some 75ks.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596332

Reply By: Member - peterdre - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 21:52

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 21:52
Hi Rob,
We travelled Bourke to Wilcannia in December 2014. East side of river Bourke to Tilpa, crossed the River at Tilpa and travelled west side of river to Wilcannia. Plenty of corrugations and dust, drive to the conditions. Visit the Louth & Tilpa pubs for some interesting old photos. Amazing how big that river was with paddle steamers ... canoes have trouble now! Stayed over night at Tilpa Weir out on the Louth road.
Have Fun !!
Pedro
AnswerID: 596342

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 06:22

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 06:22
In regards to camping.... is one side better than the other (ie: closer to the river; free camping, etc) ?
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

AnswerID: 596347

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 06:48

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 06:48
This may help you. Lots of info on this site.http://outbackbeds.com.au/darling-river-run.html Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 596348

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:48

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:48
Thanks for that website, much appreciated :)
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 865232

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:35

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:35
Hi we did the run a couple of years ago and did it from Wentworth all the way to the Fish traps at Brewarrina.
We used the North/west side until Louth then crossed to the South/East side.
The road was sandy in spots but was no real trouble as long as you slow down and drive to the conditions.
The reason we chose the North/west side was that we wanted to stay at the Stations available for camping.
We stayed at the following stations each few a few days:
Nelia Gaari
Warrawong
Kallara
Trilby
There doesn't seem to be many stations that take visitors on the South/east side.
We had a ball and are planning on doing it again. We have a little daschund dog and he was welcome at them all. One station advised that they don't allow intact Males so be aware of that.
We bush camped at Nelia Gaari and Trilby, at the camp kitchen at Kallara and in the new caravan park at Warrawong. We alternate a bit to replenish water do washing etc.
We did a blog if you are interested just look it up under our name. It is the first one we did so its on the 3rd page.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596350

Sponsored Links