Travel time Jervios to ruby gap?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 10:45
ThreadID: 131646 Views:2146 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, anyone got a rough idea on travel time, from Jevios on the plenty hwy to ruby gap.. Via box hole crater and turning off the plenty just before Gemtree? Just need to know how much time to allow for this section.. Thanks all. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:16

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:16
Odog,

When we went across Plenty in 2011, it would have taken us close to 2 hours from Jervoise to Gem Tree. We stopped at Jervoise about 3pm for an ice cream and chat, and just got to GT as they were closing, at 5pm. There's a LOT of Kodak moments as you get close to, and level with, Harts Range.

Corrugations were a bit ordinary west of both Jervoise and Harts Range community. :-(

About 45kms into Boxhole, so about 2 hrs return trip? Plus viewing time.......

Can't help with the Ruby Gap run. Sure to be plenty of time consuming camera moments, I'd suggest.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596433

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:26

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:26
Arltunga to the RG reserve boundary is a reasonable road then track. Going up the river bed and banks from the boundary towards Glen Annie gorge however takes clearance and care. It's not that far though.

The only indication of time I can give you, based on memory (caveat emptor) is about 1.5 hours from Ross R resort to the point in the reserve where you're recommended to start hoofing it.
FollowupID: 865326

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:04

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:04
Isn't there a more direct route from Jervios to Raby Gap from the North.....? It's shown on Hema Maps.....Might be a bit more interesting too as it would be a road less travelled :)
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 596439

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 20:07

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 20:07
G'day Rob, think that might be cattleman? Pass.. Which ive heard is closed.. On updated hema map, it shows as closed as well.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865346

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 17:11

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 17:11
It is possible to travel from Jervois to Ruby Gap and visit Box Hole Crater in one long day. Driving time is roughly 8 hours but is highly variable due to changing road conditions and the large number of gates to open and close between Gemtree and Arltunga.

There are also many sights to see.

Harts Range is impressive. Atitjere community has an interesting history of mica mining, a scenic football ground and fuel is a few cents cheaper than Gemtree.

Gemtree is popular for camping and fossicking.

Arltunga has lots of historic mines, buildings and equipment.

Box Hole Crater is within cooee of Tower Rock (Mac and Rose Chalmers Conservation Reserve). This new reserve is like the Devil's Marbles only bigger, better, you can climb everywhere and you are likely to have it to yourself. Camping there is rewarded by magnificent sunrises and sunsets. A small camping fee ($10 per car) is payable at Mt Swan community. Nearby is the Eastern Desert Art Gallery and Cafe (08 89569433). A word of warning. Although the reserve is new the two toilets in the camping area are rustic- a plastic seat on top of a 44 gallon drum screened by hessian tied to star pickets. The seats are loose and the edge of the drum beneath is sharply serrated. One slip and you will be singing like a Castrato!
AnswerID: 596445

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 20:11

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 20:11
Thanks for that info John, great to get as much info as possible, I've never been up that way before, every bit helps.. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865347

Reply By: Geoff N (NSW) - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 19:06

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 19:06
Boxhole Crater is on private property but should be OK to visit. I went first to the house and found the only inhabitants a couple of backpackers working there who had no problem with me going to the crater.
When you turn into the property from the 'main' road, you'll come to 3 gates. Middle gate takes you to the house, right hand gate to the crater.
Take the right hand gate and immediately turn left and follow the track down the fenceline. About 100m past the house, the track bends to the right and goes to the fence surrounding the crater. You'll find a smooth-wire section of the fence to get thru and then walk up the slope. which is actually the wall of the crater.
AnswerID: 596510

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 19:16

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 19:16
Thanks Geoff, great to know, I had heard it was on private property, would love to be able to call in and have a look, when passing through the area.. Cheers O

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865381

Sponsored Links