Road conditions old Ghan line

Another quick question all.. Doing an over night stop at Chambers pillar, then heading to Mt Dare, following the old Ghan line... Anyone that can share info, on road conditions and any dramas which make be encounted along this route, also travel time would be helpful.. Thanks heaps.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hewy54 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:07

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:07
Travelled that way in Sept last year. Can't remember travel times, but do remember some poor road conditions - heavy corrugations and bulldust holes. We towed a Vista crossover behind the 80 series and a mate towed a new Ultimate behind his Patrol. Take it slow. Mate did both shockers on the Ultimate.
AnswerID: 596432

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:10

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:10
Yeah, same, July last year. Maryvale to Finke was a shocker. Ruts in soft sand with corru in the bottoms. Beware also old sleeper spikes cos you're actually driving on the old line earthworks.

South of Finke was OK.
FollowupID: 865324

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:35

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:35
O'Dog, just when you do your drive will have a big influence on conditions. Bear in mind that the Finke desert race is held across the weekend of the 14th June so conditions a week either side of that will deteriorate due to the heavy traffic load on the road. It's also peak travel season late May through to September so the road will see a lot more use.

Down the Ghan Heritage Trail.

Cheers

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596434

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:56

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 13:56
Thanks Mick, we will be in the area early September, so the Finke race won't be a worry.. Great read, good to get some insight, any idea or time it took? Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865331

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 14:02

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 14:02
With an early (0800) start from Alice, two days taking it easy should see you at Dalhousie. Two and a half if you want to take it super easy, stopping at every siding and Finke etc.

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865333

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:36

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:36
Mick, what road conditions should we expect in mid-July heading out from Stuart's Well through Maryvale only as far as Chamber's Pillar and then back up to Alice?
FollowupID: 865339

Reply By: Member - Niss42 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:47

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:47
G'day Odog, a quick call to Mt Dare may supply the answer you are looking for.

Mt Dare Hotel -- (08) 8670 7835.

Good luck,
Baz
AnswerID: 596442

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 21:38

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 21:38
Rough as guts when we did it a couple of years ago, just after the Finke race - but no doubt you'll get much more up-to-date info on this forum.
My main reason for replying was to suggest that if you are in that area you don't miss taking the detour from Finke out to Old Andado station, which has a fascinating museum and is well worth an overnight stop (hosts even greeted us with hot scones, jam and cream!).
Then you can go down an interesting section of the Binns Track to get to Mt Dare and on to Dalhousie.
Also, when you are at Finke, it's worth a short detour to Lamberts Centre - geographical centre of Aus.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596465

Reply By: pmk03 - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:47

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 10:47
Have travelled this road many times & have never found it to be that bad, Maybe just been lucky at the time. Certainly never broken anything doing it.
Towed an on road camper on one occasion - Just take it easy.
It's a great track full of history & Chambers Pillar certainly deserves an overnight stop. So Two full days would see you do Alice Springs to Mt Dare with plenty of stops at old Ghan sidings
Cheers Paul
AnswerID: 596487

Sponsored Links