Battery packs

I'm looking at buying a jump start battery pack from super cheap purely as a back up incase my vehicle has a flat battery. We are towing a van and don't have a second battery although do have a relay so the van won't run the car battery flat.
My question is are the large heavy duty by jump start portable batteries the way to go or are the new lithium battery packs better ?
If you have a lithium battery pack could you let me know which one you bought and the approximate cost and if they have fail or are definitely worth while
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:23

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:23
Hi Blake

I purchased one of these from the EO Shop for extra security when in remote areas and travelling solo

Super Mini Booster

Very small and takes up no room.

I have seen them in action and they will start your four wheel drive if the battery is flat.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596769

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:41

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:41
At $285, I'd rather strap a $200 deep cycle/starter battery in the rear....with the added advantage of using it as an aux batt.

If you only have one battery in the 4wd and you ONLY use it for starting the 4wd, chances of a flat battery are very slim. If you travel remote and plan to use the battery for anything else except starting the 4wd, then you must have a backup.

If I had one of the mini booster things, as a test, I would remove the normal battery ( as if the battery was dead flat ) and see if the booster starts it ( engine cold ).
FollowupID: 865733

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:53

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:53
Hi Gronk

I have 2 batteries in my Prado, the staring battery and deep cycle for the fridge and other appliances.

I am not a fan of having a battery inside the vehicle for a number of reason, plus you lose valuable boot space. With the super mini booster, it takes up no space in my draws.

Each to their own, but I feel I have all bases covered and have seen the look on peoples faces when their near new battery has died overnight out in the Simpson.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865735

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 22:42

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 22:42
You have 2 batteries !! All good then !

Near new batteries don't die overnight. If they have been flattened, then the people are to blame.....and stupidity to use the starting battery in a remote area..
FollowupID: 865738

Follow Up By: Craig H4 - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 22:59

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 22:59
Alternator problems and corrugations can kill a new battery no problem at all, not to mention any number of other things.
FollowupID: 865739

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 00:15

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 00:15
I've had plenty of near-new batteries fail, over more than 50 yrs of owning and using equipment and vehicles - and that includes Caterpillar batteries, too!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 865741

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 07:31

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 07:31
Hi Gronk

Yes indeed new batteries do fail. Back in 2010 before one of our Anne Beadell trips, I fitted a new battery for the sake of playing it safe, as my existing battery was then 6 years old. The new battery was no issues at all when out in the desert until I got home.

Went to start the car and that lovely sound of a dead battery. That could not be right, the battery was only 3 weeks old. Jump started the car with the deep cycle battery and took it straight out to where I had purchased the battery. They tested the battery and one cell had died.....that's why the battery was dead.

So yes, new batteries and and do die. They battery in the Simpson was in a Troopy and the chap did not have an auxiliary battery and his battery was only 4 months old.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865742

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 21:40

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 21:40
Gronk,
The test you propose is not how those mini boosters work. My understanding is that they transfer charge to the cranking battery. The light cables that they have could not sustain a cranking current. I was very sceptical at first but now have one in all my vehicles (and plane). They work an absolute treat and make carrying around heavy and expensive Thumpers etc superfluous. From memory they cost around $59. They charge from the cigarette lighter and have useful features like 12V out, USB socket and LED torch.
Bob

PS I just checked eBay and I swear they've trebled in price. Unbelievable!
FollowupID: 865924

Reply By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:41

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 20:41
Hi Blake, I have also been looking at these, but want to get the small lithium one, have read they hold a charge for 6 months or so.. Just want one to throw in the glove box, and/or in a camel back, for when on the bikes.. Have seen one used, to start a car (4cyl) which refused to start, repeated attempts over a period of an hour or so, finally got it started.. The little battery pack, never looked like it was even slowing down.. Very impressed.. Seen them advertised from around $80 up to $200 or so.. The other type are big and heavy, around same price I think.. Take way longer to charge also, and not as portable.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596770

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:33

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:33
I have been present when one of the small lithium pack was used to start a 7.3 ltr disesel F truck with the temp down to just above freezing. Not a problem.
One of these magic little gadgets is now on my wish list.
FollowupID: 865775

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:12

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:12
As I am never in a hurry. I have made sure I can charge my starting battery with my solar panels. May take a little longer but I am fairly sure I will find something interesting for a while no matter where I am.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596771

Reply By: Jackolux - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:25

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:25
I have a lithium battery pack , don't know what brand it is , don't think it matters much ,
13800mAH - Peak current 600 A - Start current 300A

As a test on a 4lt EL - Falcon petrol that was about to be pensioned off , I turned the lights , radio and fan on to flatten the battery , dead as a maggot , not even a click , I started the motor 12 times with the headlight switch left on , without a problem , I only stopped at 12 because I was tired of playing , the Batt Pac still had plenty of life left .

Between each start I disconnected the batt pac and with the headlight switch left on I would crank the motor so it was still dead as a maggot , pretty good test I thought .

AnswerID: 596772

Reply By: Craig H4 - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:31

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:31
I got one of the small lithium battery packs off eBay for $100 so its at the cheap end, its great and will charge up laptop, phone etc fits in the glove box and I can confirm it will start my V6 petrol hilux easily and that was tested with the starter battery disconnected. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts but at $100 I'm sold on them.
AnswerID: 596774

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 13:41

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 13:41
Craig, could you post a link to the one you bought please.

Thanks

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865746

Follow Up By: Craig H4 - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 21:05

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 21:05
Yep Mick it is the same or very similar to this one.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16800mAh-12V-CAR-JUMP-STARTER-Battery-Charger-Mini-POWER-BANK-Booster-LED-SUPER-/351268631690?hash=item51c93df48a
FollowupID: 865760

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:54

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:54
A cheap solution may not be all that practical at all if it doesn't work when you really need it.
The Mini-Booster, as mentioned above, may be OK but at $263 (current ExplorOz shop price) is a reasonable outlay for just a jump starter device that does nothing else.

Firstly, ensure you carry a quality set of jumper leads and then you have the means of jump starting when another vehicle (or suitable battery supply) is available.

As for me, I also require a portable battery pack from time to time, when camping out with my tent.
I have a 75Ah Thumper for this sort purpose and the extra advantage is that it has the grunt to jump start my diesel. It came complete with a set of jumper leads that plug into the Thumper via a 175A Anderson Connector and with heavy duty clamps on the remote end.
Perhaps not the cheapest option, but a great bit of kit I wouldn't care to be without for remote travel. It charges from the vehicle alternator when traveling with its own charge kit and cable and is always ready for a myriad of portable battery duties including jump starting when required.

A couple of years ago the starting battery shat itself suddenly when camping at Rawnsley park in the Flinders Ranges. A simple jump start got the vehicle started and all was OK until I turned the ignition off. Then I needed to jump start again. The portability of the Thumper may this a simple task. Had to buy a new battery at Hawker, on the way home, but the Thumper saved any hassle I may otherwise have had.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 596785

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:32

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:32
You know most of those jump starter things in 900A range use an 18ah battery.

There are lots on ebay in range $45 to $80

The real issue is getting a good contact to you car such that these smaller batteries can deliver the current.

I carry one of these 18ah batts which has a short anderson plug on it , and a matching plug on the car battery.

Whole thing ends up being smaller and more portable , so it is often left connected up to lights etc at camp.

Keeping it charged is another issue , but in my case I leave it permanently connected to car via a diode (more details if needed).
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596786

Sponsored Links