Article Comment: EOTrackMe

I used EOTrackMe the other day. The result on the map is a straight line N for 15km, a turn to the NE showing a straight line - that leg 80km - then another straight line SW back to the starting point. Not following the the road at all. Is that correct?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 12:36

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 12:36
Looks like you've missed something in the settings for your iPhone as what's happened is when you've gone out of service it has not done the store and forward and only done last point in service to next point in service, where the system can continue to record and plot when out of service if you have the settings configured properly. Go to the documentation tab on the EOTrackMe page and look for iPhone settings and double check.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596822

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:22

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:22
OK, gone to Documentation, then to:
'Supported Devices and Tracking Software 3G/4G Network
iPhone & iPad - uTrackMe'
'All iPhones feature an inbuilt GPS receiver, as well as selected iPads. Simply by downloading the uTrackMe app from iTunes you can submit tracking to EOTrackMe. See Settings for uTrackme (iPhone) for more information.'

Clicking on the 'See Settings for uTrackme (iPhone) for more information' brings up an error message,
'The system cannot find the specified blog item You have been returned to the Members myBlog Index'
AnswerID: 596824

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 18:34

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 18:34
No that info is outdated. You are on the wrong page somehow - see this screen shot - you should be clicking Settings for uTrackMe Beacon (iPhone & iPad) .
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865793

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:45

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:45
Thanks for your help. I'm getting there slowly.

I can't see a logoff symbol on the main page, so to 'Log off' I think I have to click on 'Profile', then click on 'Member', then click on 'Logoff'. Consequently I stay logged on which has led to me having an outdated page re EOTrackMe.

Now I have that new page and fixed the settings and had the track recorded on a 558km trip, except for a missing section of maybe 50km. (guessing)

Now I'm trying to set up the system to have my tracks to be viewed by the 'Security Key'. The instructions don't tally with the screen display ie 'To set up an Security Key, click on the "My Profile" tab', I think this should be 'Profile'.

Then 'To access tracking from a locked device, the Security Key must be entered. The easiest way for you to direct your friends and family to your tracking is to go to your Public Profile page and click on the email function.' I can't see a 'Public Profile'.

Perhaps it's there and I can't see it, or maybe I have to guess what is meant by what I'm reading?

Paul
FollowupID: 865867

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:19

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:19
RE: "the instructions don't tally with the screen display" - oops, when we modified the site layout with the responsive design we must have missed modifying that instruction. Will be actioned asap, thanks for letting us know. Always so many little bits to change - it never ends.
However I'm surprised you don't know how to view your own profile page? The link is in the above post of yours below your name. However, you can also go to it by clicking Profile top right of site, then you'll see the link to View Profile on the left - as per pic below...
Hope that helps?

PS: sorry I posted under another profile mistakenly after helping someone I forgot to log off. I've deleted and reposted under my profile. Sorry for any confusion with this reply!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865875

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:56

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:56
I did a trip last year (iPhone 5s) up the Birdsville Track to Birdsville, further up to Bulia, then east to Longreach, down to Windorah, Innamincka and back to Adelaide.
For some inexplicable reason, the recorded track followed the correct route to around the Inside Track junction and the Birdsville Track, then recorded a straight line to Birdsville. There were other instances of "as the bird flies" tracking to the extent I was really disapointed with the end result.
My previous trip the year before (IPhone 4s) to the Kimberley and back saw a straight line deviation from Broome to Perth and back, then when we reached Katherine, a mystery trip across to Brisbane and back.
On followup, David mentioned a problem with the IOS version on the iPhone 4s as being the likely culprit at the time.

I no longer rely on EOTrackMe for recording of my treks. It's just not accurate or reliable.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 596827

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 06:46

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 06:46
I have really tried and wanted to use EO track me over a number of years and quite a few phones.
Unfortunately it just stops logging for days, then starts again then stops again.

It is a great concept and has some very neat features, but I have realised that it simply can't be relied upon to accurately log my trips. It is very disappointing to get home and find that thousands of kms are missing from your trip log with straight lines in between.

Last trip was fine in a test I did just prior to my trip around Melbourne, then it missed Mel to Tocumwal, then fine till Bourke, then missed the rest of of NSW and most of Qld then worked near Cairns hlaf way up the cape, then failed to log for 3 weeks all the way home except a brief log at Fraser Island. My phone was on, and working the entire time. Looking at my EO log you would swear I flew Mel - Tocumwal, Bourke, Cairns, the Cape, Fraser Island - Mel, hiring a few cars along the way LOL.

I would love to use it and at one stage used the website as part of my EPIRB registration. But that way it works, Search and rescue would have been in QLD looking for me while I am in Vic. I suspect that often when you lose phone reception, it gets screwed up and can't recover for some time, even weeks.

It would be nice to have the system revamped so it is reliable.
After about 4 years of trying to get it work reliably, I have given up sadly. Some times it is fine for ages and works, then all of a sudden it fails to log.

I have used it on my HF radio in the past ( which seemed to work well) and 4 - 5 different Android phones, none of which have been reliable with respect to EO track me.. I suspect the Android app stops working internally at random times. I have had HTC, Motorola, and several Samsungs on version 2.2 through to version 5 Android. They've all had the same problem.

I hope David and co can have a real good look at it.
AnswerID: 596848

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:10

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:10
Hi Boobook,

I have had a look at previous correspondence and I can see that there were indeed some tracking issues in relation to your Android device, and that you were in touch with both myself and David back in late 2014 on this issue. We did our best to help to resolve this, so I am very sorry to hear that there have been ongoing issues – I believe this was to do with the tracking intermittently ceasing to work (as you have mentioned here).

As per my response to Ups & Downs, we have been working on an iOS app and at the same time, looking at providing our own improved Android App – please be assured that we have indeed been looking at ways to make this as reliable as possible, and am sure you will be very pleased with the new app once made available.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 865903

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 06:49

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 06:49
Thanks Adele,
I tried again last year after getting another new phone. You can probably see the track from Melbourne to the Cape and return as I describe above.

I hope you can work on the android version as the concept certainly has merit. Linking the web page map inside the EPRIP registration page along with putting a trip plan in there allows emergency services to see not only where you are, but where you have been and where you are likely to go.

Another great option would be to add a low cost dedicated GPS tracking device that is permanently on, in the car. There are ones activated by motion and it could be linked by wifi or Bluetooth to a phone, or by a separate 3G Next g connection ( if that is available).

I'd be very happy to be a beta tester if you get the android app working.
FollowupID: 865931

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:37

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:37
Thanks Boobook, I can see that tracking record, it's interesting as for some sections (start and end of the tracking) it appears to have worked very well, so I'm wondering what caused it to stop in the particular sections that it did. Re: EPIRB registration linking to the tracking, the one thing that you need to be careful with is that because the data is submitted via the internet, if you are out of internet range, then we won't receive the data until you come back into range. So for example the tracking page could show your position as the last place you had service for several hours (or days depending on where you are).

However you EPIRB should give rescuers your current location, as that is what they are designed to do.

Re: a dedicated tracking device, we are actually working on this, however it would also be limited to only being able to submit data while you are in internet service. For live tracking, a satellite tracker is always the best option (for example a SPOT device). I hope this helps, and I will certainly keep you in mind as a beta tester of the new Android app once we reach this stage.

Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865957

Reply By: Member - Peter From Vic - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:51

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:51
I am new to TrackMe and have been testing it in metro area. I to find it does not follow the roads I have travelled on but just draws a straight line between two points. I have an iPhone 6.0 and runs 4g and uTrackMe. I set it as per iPhone docs. Is there something else that requires setup
AnswerID: 596904

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:21

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 15:21
Position fixes are sent on a time basis, not continuous.
Meaning if it sends a fix every 10 minutes it will plot that fix at the position it was sent from and just links the fixes.
You would have to have a continuos data/position fix sent every few seconds to have a virtual continuos track line, that would use a lot of your data allowance on a phone.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865893

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:09

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:09
Hi Member- Ups & Downs,

Michelle has asked that I have a look at this post/the issues raised, and I just wanted to let you know that I have had a look at your profile, and can actually see 2x iphones registered both with different Device IDs. So that I can figure out which is correct, can I please ask you to check your Device ID and email this to me at adele@exploroz.com (I can then delete the incorrect device for you.

Also I have taken note of some of the outdated information displayed in the EOTrackMe documentation and will be updating these tomorrow.

I also wanted to note that the uTrackMe Beacon app (which is the app that you download to your phone to configure for use with EOTrackMe) is a third party application, and therefore the tracking settings/data as reported by Sandman and Peter from Vic are actually logged by this application itself rather than being affected by any issues in EOTrackMe.

We have been working for some time to create our own proprietary iOS tracking app (as we have already done for Android and PC) - this would be developed and owned by ExplorOz and we hope to be releasing this in the upcoming months.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596918

Sponsored Links