intermittant problem new gme uhf

Hi all Im sure someone will know the answer to this. Had a new gme tx 3500 installed in the rodeo about 6 weeks ago initially worked fine.last week it malfunctioned. I could receive first two words then all reception very distorted. Same deal all channels. Fiddled with settings. No joy. Adjusted sqelch etc. No go. Reception volume generally reduced. Like this for a few days the started working fine. Drove to work this am. Great clarity all channels. This afternoo all distorted again. Googled it - common explanation is reception issues when mixing old 40 channel an new 80 channel radios. This doesnt fit my logic as im listening to the same radios and they were fine this morning. Your thoughts? Thanks, doc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 22:51

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 22:51
Warranty claim
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596881

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:15

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:15
oz doc,
Rather than ask a bunch of people, none of whom make these great radios, why not just ring GME. They have first class after sales service and they WILL KNOW the answer.
Ian
AnswerID: 596886

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:39

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 08:39
Your installer may not be the expert he claimed. If he botched the antenna cabling, you could have this effect.

GME can test this but it'll cost you. Does your installer have any radio test gear such as SWR meters to verify he got it right?
AnswerID: 596887

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:11

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:11
You need a systematic approach, if the first two words or so on reception are clear and audable I would hazard a guess and say the antenna is ok.

First thing I would check is the power connections, check the positive and negative wiring, if the display brightness is varing with volume then this could also indicate a power issue.

Probablt yhe easiest option if you not tech minded would be to take it back to the installer and get him to check it out.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596895

Follow Up By: oz doc - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:29

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:29
Hi, thanks for that. My brain likes systemic/logic. I've very little knowlege when it comes to radios which is a hinderence. I know the young lad hooked up the power to the 12v aux in the dash, not the cig lighter. Both times the radio malfunctioned it was left "on" when car was parked. Usualy i turn it off prior to switching car off, and turn it on after car starts up. Cant see how this could be involved though.doc.
FollowupID: 865865

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 14:36

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 14:36
Might be heat related, leaving it on in a sealed up car might tip it over the edge?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865891

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:48

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 10:48
Warranty claim. Take it back to where you purchased it and see them.

It would be great if the installer was the same mob.

Be ready to lose it for a while.

If trips are coming up, then take it back asap.

Phil
AnswerID: 596896

Follow Up By: oz doc - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:38

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:38
Hi phil, you are probably right. Installer was the kind soul who bought me the radio as christmas present. Not a professed expert but has put radios in his and other cars over the years. Will pop into opposit lock today if poss and check with them (point of sale) and try to contact gme tomorrow (rdo) as suggested above and ask them.
Thanks
FollowupID: 865871

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:46

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:46
The installation is the first hurdle.....if you can establish that the installation is perfect and the power supply from your car is ok, then GME come into the picture. They will of course need to be satisfied that the radio has been correctly installed and tested in situ. Wiring, fuses, battery connections, relays etc.* can all play up and should be easy to trace and check - the biggy however is the antenna coax - the fitting of terminal plugs has to be spot on - the slightest error can lead to the radio being internally damaged on transmit.
*I choose to wire my UHF directly to the car battery - bypassing all other circuits - just a fuse at the battery end. In my view, simple is best.....and you can use the radio regardless of the ignition / accessory state of the car.

AnswerID: 596897

Reply By: oz doc - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 21:32

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 21:32
Update. Opposite lock took a look at it. The unit was red hot. The have removed it and sent it to gme . Not sure if they will just replace it or report on what the problem is. Doc.
AnswerID: 596932

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 12:59

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 12:59
mate had similar problem I just removed the microphone and plugged it into the car it was loose to start with and I suspected it to be the problem and it was

some times people just do not tighten up things and after all we are only human and we do make simple mistakes
FollowupID: 865943

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:13

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 15:13
Hi AM, not sure I get what you just said. ?loose connection on the hand held mike? Did your mates unit get physically hot when it had the problem? Cheers doc.
FollowupID: 865950

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 18:06

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 18:06
the mike plug was loose

what I was trying to say was make sure every thing is tight and you have a good earth often with CB radio it is very simple thing then take it to the shop if you could not see any thng

unfortunately many companies now charge to check a item out before you get a warranty claim and you do not get that money back in some cases

FollowupID: 865965

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 18:09

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 18:09
Ah got it. Ta for that. Doc.
FollowupID: 865966

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 19:01

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 19:01
"unfortunately many companies now charge to check a item out before you get a warranty claim and you do not get that money back in some cases"

If a warranty claim is accepted, you cannot be charged a bench fee for them to look at it.

If no warranty claim is accepted - you can (but it must be agreed on before any work is carried out).

Likewise, you only have to take the item back to the place of purchase, not the manufacturer. Also unlike many claim, it does not have to be in the original packaging. If an item is faulty and requires replacement (unable to be repaired) it is acceptable for the item to show signs of wear comensurate with the age of the item (they cannot deny a warranty claim)

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 865968

Follow Up By: oz doc - Saturday, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:29

Saturday, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:29
Hi all, it took 2 weeks and a charge of $25 (apparently for transporting unit to perth) and the radio is repaired. Apparently faulty speaker was the cause. We'll see how it goes from here.doc.
FollowupID: 866567

Follow Up By: allein m - Saturday, Mar 19, 2016 at 12:46

Saturday, Mar 19, 2016 at 12:46
That is good the main thing is it is repaired but to charge you for transport is unfortunately a sign of the time s

I was told a long time ago many product s have a built in price to cover any type of warranty for future problems

things have changed a lot

now you put your own petrol in and they save on wages

Now many shops are going self serve check out

And the companies profits are going up and more and more people cannot find work because we are doing there jobs for free

many places charge for warranty inspection and keep that fee

where will it end

FollowupID: 866584

Sponsored Links