Dream Pot? or is there a more economical alternative

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 14:59
ThreadID: 131888 Views:5867 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Saw an Eco Pot demo at the Perth Caravan and Camping show, impressed with its light weight, versatility and ability, however it seemed extremely expensive for an oversize thermos. $300.
We use an older heavy slow cooker at home, but its too bulky and heavy for the caravan.
What do you use for cooking meals such as stews and casseroles etc while traveling. There must be something out there which is cheaper than the Eco Pot?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen F2 - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 15:07

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 15:07
300 bucks like thats about 30 days fish and chips..We just use cheap pot on campfire.If gas stove we always get pot with nice chinky bottom for good heat transfer...cheers
AnswerID: 597608

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 18:08

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 18:08
Honestly ..... Mum got a Dream Pot for travelling, we used it a few times, followed the instructions, and found out:
1. Casseroles were generally under-cooked and luke-warm by the annoited time - just didn't retain the heat and cook enough. Maybe the movement of the vehicle caused this - don't know. Meat was chewy and vegies underdone.
2. For soft cooking (say rice dishes, light stews or soups) was OK.
Suspect you have to give the ingredients a fair going over before you put them in the EcoPot / DreamPot, which sort of negates the whole point of it........
Maybe ours was dodgy.... others might have different experiences.
AnswerID: 597614

Reply By: Meridith D - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 18:57

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 18:57
We have the Aldi version - $99. It works brilliantly.
AnswerID: 597615

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:26

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:26
Someone tested the Aldi one against a couple of top name brands ones - and the Aldi held a higher heat. When do we get Aldi in Western Australia?

We don't want to use a thermal cooker, but some people love preparing the evening meal before they leave in the morning and letting it finish cooking in its own heat during the day. If you want one, Aldi would be the way to go.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 866681

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 23:32

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 23:32
Aldi stores in W.A. are supposed to be open in June or July this year, with the Joondalup store the first to open.
It's possible there will be multiple Aldi stores opening fairly close together in W.A.

There's a Farcebook page called ALDIholics that will keep you updated.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 866689

Follow Up By: Meridith D - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:25

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:25
Agree about Aldi stores being close together. I worked for them from Day 1 and their concept is to have the stores between 3 1/2 - 4 hrs radius from their depot/warehouse so drivers can do a load and return in one 8hr shift - no breaks required.
FollowupID: 866705

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:55

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:55
Ahhhh - I actually meant that there will be multiple new W.A. Aldi stores opening on DATES that are close together.

So, it's likely that, say Aldi stores at Joondalup, Belmont Forum, and Rockingham, will all be open within a few days of each other.

In the case of positions where Aldi are moving into stores vacated by other operators (as at Belmont Forum, where they are moving into the former Progressive IGA store) - then this will mean a faster opening, as compared to places where Aldi are building completely new stores.

By far the biggest number of new Aldi stores in W.A. will be in the major shopping centres.

New Aldi store positions in SA and WA

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 866707

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 05:27

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 05:27
We have one of these and have found it quite satisfactory. No interest in this company, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.easycook.com.au/thermocook0153/thermocook-tm?zenid=jcd9be9pkaqhkcr1igpvhmf8l2#.VvA8VtBNuuI

BruDi

AnswerID: 597631

Follow Up By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 07:37

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 07:37
WOW...! just $50... worth it just to get the pots. Many years ago it cost over $300 to buy a dreampot. Use it all the time. Don't know what the freight would be from this ,mob. Would like to find out though.
(Just found out Freight is $11.00)

regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 866694

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:26

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:26
We have had an Eco pot for several years and find it excellent. (We did not pay $300 - I think they have become fancier but the principles haven't changed. Aldi currently have their model on sale and it is excellent value by all accounts.)
All brands work the same way and give very good results if used carefully. To maintain heat and food safety it is necessary to have the pot at least half full and to bring the contents to a strong boil then simmer covered for 10 to 20 minutes depending on instructions.
We use it quite a lot. We don't cook in the morning before travelling - the idea sounds exhausting! It is very useful when we are camping because, at a convenient time, we can prepare a stew or soup at leisure and leave it to cook safely unattended in the van while we go out. After a long hike or busy tourist afternoon it is great to come home to a ready dinner. There is usually enough left over for at least another meal - very handy then for a travelling day! Lynne
AnswerID: 597634

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 15:38

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 15:38
We just use the camp stove and allow plenty of time to cook at a leisurely pace.
One of the enjoyments of camp life.
We also own a Cobb Cooker which can cook a roast using six or seven heatbeads and including the veggies in the vegetable well.
Oh! and has anybody cooked a loaf of bread in a Dream Pot?

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597639

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:19

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:19
Gday,
Weve got a Dream Pot.......
Great for putting 1 pot dishes and rice or pasta in to take down the beach or to partys etc to keep cooked meals warm, but wouldn't bother cooking in one......theyre just a oversized thermos........nothing magic......unless of course you want a really slow cooked luke warm mushy or raw meal. LOL
AnswerID: 597655

Follow Up By: Member - Witi Repartee - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 13:03

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 13:03
Thanks everybody. Have been stewing over this for a while. Have cooled somewhat on the idea, if we do proceed I think Aldi wins this race.
FollowupID: 866729

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 13:25

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 13:25
".....stewing over this......" & "Have cooled somewhat.........." A couple of intentional puns there, Witi? :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866732

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 11:50

Saturday, Mar 26, 2016 at 11:50
It is important to get past the sales hype on these things ....... if they are to work at all well, it is very important that the contents have been thoroughly heated ..... in that the the material in the cooker has been heated all the way thru and is all up to temperature.

If the food is not thoroughy heated thru ...... temperature in the food will equalise ( the hot bits will loose heat to the cold bits) and the total temperature will drop quite rapidly.

In real culinary science and food safety ..... food is considered cooked when it has ALL reached the appropriate temperature ...in particular the interiour parts of the food have reached temperature ..... from memory 60C or there abouts.

So the notion that these devices are "cookers" is a bit misleading ..... because the food to be placed in these devices must already be by definition cooked before it is put in them ....... there may be some further "cooking" occurs while the food is in the container ....... but the all of the "necessary" cooking must be done before.

IF food is not thoroughly heated before being put into these devices there are very real food safety issues ......... as we should all be aware ..... food stored hot should remain HOT ......... if it is only warm ... this is a prime environment for food poisoning bacteriour ...... the food must be thoroughly hot enough to loose heat and still remain above the necessary food safety temperature till it is served.

This is particularly bad if parts of the food have not got hot enough to kill any bacteriour preexisting in the food.

We have one and find it unimpressive.

cheers
AnswerID: 597795

Sponsored Links