Outback QLD temps in Sept

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:34
ThreadID: 131957 Views:2089 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We are travelling to Outback QLD from Sydney doing the dinosaur trail and up to Lawn Hill in Sept and wondering what the temps are like? Still need jackets for nights etc?

We normally do our trips in June/July when its cooler but need to push the trip back this year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:42

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:42
Litlbalt

Whilst September is starting to warm up you can still get overnight temps in outback Qld including Lawn Hill area that are in the low single digit range, so definitely take some warm gear with you.

Enjoy your trip.
Athol
AnswerID: 597900

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:01

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:01
Litlbalt,

A lot depends on the weather patterns at the time, there can be extremes either way. August & September are usually the driest months up here, so rain may not be a problem.

The following charts might give you an idea?

If you're doing the dinosaur thing, you're in luck, as Australian Age of Dinosaurs(AAOD) has just received a number of extra dinosaurs that will be positioned along the valley walking track, so should be a great experience, for both big and little kids.

Wouldn't hurt to bring at least a light jacket each.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597901

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:04

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 12:04
Thanks. We always pack a jumper everywhere we go as you never know was just wondering if we needed more winter clothes or summer.
FollowupID: 866955

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 15:47

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 15:47
Hi Litlbalt

We were in the area late August and through September in 2009. The upside was that the crowds had gone so the campsites were sparsely populated. Even in August it was hot at Lawn Hill, so our walks were reduced. We did do one in the middle of the day and got overheated, only revived by being able to soak in cool running water.

We choose not to go further north due in part to the hot weather and in part due to our time restrictions.

The days and night through dinosaur country were pleasant. When we got to Longreach, the Thomson River Apex camp had only a dozen or so there each night, and Shire staff said it had been packed out until the previous week when the hot weather hit and the "winter in the north" people moved out. A four day limit has since been placed on that campground.

While we always have at least one set of warmer clothing where ever we go, I do not recall any cool nights until we crossed into New South Wales early October at got stormy and wet weather and it felt like we had dropped from mid summer into mid winter for a while.

If you are doing a loop, perhaps get to Lawn Hill early then take more time as you work your way south.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597911

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:56

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:56
The Apex camp at Longreach is now 3 days not 4... Was there today and it now has 6 roosters that crow at 4.30 in the morning. No a nice place anymore.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 867081

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 23:21

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 23:21
We camped down by the river.
Nobody else was there and on the Sunday night we listened to the music floating down the river from the Outback Show.

There were a dozen or so camped in the carpark near the old bridge.

Steve
FollowupID: 867350

Reply By: cro142 - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 21:06

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 21:06
I live on a cattle station in the "Dinosaur Triangle", and can say you will find the weather in Sept to be warm and starting to be hot by mid-October. Lovely days and cool but not cold nights. No need for winter gear - just a "maybe" jumper.
AnswerID: 597932

Sponsored Links