Arnhem land

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 17:49
ThreadID: 131962 Views:2157 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We wish to visit Arnhem land in July and visit Art centres in Maningrida andRamingining. Whilst permits are required to pass through does anyone have contact numbers of camping locations in this area as distance would be too far to go froK kakadu to Nuhulunbuy in one day and attend galleries
Also has anyone been able to secure permits from Ngukurr to Nhulunbuy
. We are self contained and long time campers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 22:29

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 22:29
Hi. You may get a work permit if you are working in one of the communities along the Roper Bar to Nhulunbuy Rd but for just cruising around, good luck. Be aware that on the "top road" if you break down it is almost impossible to sort out any outside help. Our travelling companion in 2009 holed his radiator in a Land Rover at The Blyth River Crossing and broke his fan blades off. He assumed that NRMA would recover him and they said that on the Eastern side of Cahill's Crossing you are on your own. I towed him from Blyth River on a 3 metre strap all the way to Cahill's campground, so I guess the trip is pretty easy going but to get all the way in one day would be tough. We stayed near the Goyder River and made it a two day trip.
AnswerID: 597941

Reply By: PhilD - Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 23:59

Tuesday, Mar 29, 2016 at 23:59
There are no camp grounds on that route, but plenty of land to stop for the night. The biggest challenge will be to get the permit. Good luck getting a permit to go to Ngukurr, let alone travel up to Nhulunbuy, without a very good reason. A few years ago the Police were booking anyone who went across the Roper Crossing without a permit.
AnswerID: 597943

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 22:51

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 22:51
G'day Tuck,

when were you thinking of trying to go through there?
That's a trip I've been looking at for a while.
We're heading up to Nhulunbuy in a few months to catch up with friends there. I am going to have a talk with some people about what the go is.

Steve.
AnswerID: 597991

Follow Up By: tuck - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:31

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:31
Looking July this year. Plenty locals go thruNhulunbuy to Oenpelli .Believe they have spent plenty on art gallery at Maningrida . Not sure how they expect you to buy art and stop in one day over that distance
FollowupID: 867109

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 18:02

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 18:02
G'day Tuck,

we're heading up to Nhulunbuy probably August now. I think we might be going to the Darwin Cup race meeting in early August, then heading up.

Have you checked the website for Ramingining and Maningrida.These both have accommodation options. Making a phone call might get more results than an email, or try both.

I'm keen to try getting through from Ngukurr to Nhulumbuy but that won't be happening this year. It's part of the reason we're heading up that way this year to see who's who.

Have a good trip.

Steve.

http://www.eastarnhem.nt.gov.au/accommodation/
FollowupID: 867140

Sponsored Links