Camping across Nullarbor

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:05
ThreadID: 131970 Views:3252 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Next month a few of u will be travelling across the Nullarbor (4day trip) and are wondering what in your opinions are the better places to stop for the night.
We have 4wd with rooftop tent, and whilst we could basically pull up a piece of grass anywhere i thought it best to ask so we could find the better places and maybe some secret locations if anyone is willing to give the locations up.
Kind Regards BT
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:19

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:19
Hi Brendon

Two places we stayed when going across were:

Eyre Bird Observetory - there is a rest area on the highway with heaps of bays drive through bays and fire pits. Then you can go down to the Observetory for the day. A magnificent day trip - and the caretakers give us morning tea. Absolutely a must do.

Koonalda Homestead - about 18kms (from memory) off the road. Beautiful old homestead that you can stay in. A picture of it often comes up on the photo banner above (melts my heart every time I see it). A few things to see there as well - a continuous blowhole, a huge sink hole, old Eyre Hwy roadhouse, shearing shears etc etc.

Both of these are listed in the Places section for details and photos.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 597965

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:32

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:32
What's the road in like? What about a motorhome? (not ours - the in-law's)

Phil
FollowupID: 867049

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 16:50

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 16:50
Koonalda - good dirt road should be fine for the motorhome but Eyre Bird Observatory requires 4WD - so can the inlaws fit in with you for the day trip and leave the motorhome up at the rest area on the highway?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867061

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 18:06

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 18:06
Eyre has a good road to the gate at the top of the track down to the Observetory, there is good shady parking at the top of the track down. If you prearrange it with the Observetory caretakers, they will come out and grab you if you don't have a 4WD. It does cost though - so you will need to ring and find out how much. We actually camped at the top of the gate on the way back out (but the caretakers were our cousins) so it might pay to enquire if this is possible.

Koonalda has a good road in and if it is wet, there are bypass tracks around the puddly bits. It rained for three days the last time we were there and a 2 WD Britz made it in, but I forgot - they are IGA drive vehicles (It Goes Anywhere drive). A commodore and a camper trailer also came in.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 867069

Reply By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:38

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:38
Get yourself the Wikicamps App and set up the filters for what you need, my requirements are big rig, dogs allowed, Telstra mobile.

Went over and back last year and each stop we had mobile phone access so I could check my emails.
AnswerID: 597967

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:59

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:59
Yep, Wikicamps is the go. It will tell you what 'facilities' are available and what they are like.
It depends on how 'high class' you want to go. Some have no facilities, some have long drop toilets and a couple have dump points.
We stayed at a couple that were just tracks off the side of the road, very quiet and secluded.
FollowupID: 867054

Reply By: Member - MARIC - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 19:18

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 19:18
Just came back from Nullabor 3 days ago, re Koonaldo Stn and Motor home, we had dual cab cruiser and spinifex van, average speed 25kph, a lot of lime capstone, if wet and only 2wd, i would tend to forget it, otherwise easy easy and u ok.
Caves north of Nullabor road house not a bad spot to stay o/n
Also the old Eyre hwy from Eucla to Nullabor roadhouse ok, you should see a lot of wildlife including dingoes.
Enjoy
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598029

Reply By: osters - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 07:34

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 07:34
Najada rockhole 30km west eucla, woorlba homestead, 132km west of caiguna. Newman rocks 50km west Balladonia. You can also camp down by the old telegraph station at Eucla. All the roadside camping areas are usually good and you can drive further in on most of them!!!
AnswerID: 598126

Reply By: osters - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 07:36

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 07:36
Oops forgot to mention 81km peg, 81km east of nullabor roadhouse. Heaps of room just keep driving out the back!!!
AnswerID: 598127

Sponsored Links