HEMA HN7

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 10:37
ThreadID: 131992 Views:3072 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Using the Hema HN7, across the Nullabor travelling west, I kept losing the sat signal, from FraserRange to Norseman, then ok for a while to Esperance (5 min) then dead all the way to Esperance. Then intermittent signal to Borden.

Tom Tom had signal, and Samsung Notepad with Ozie Explorer worked ok.

Is their a problem with the HN7, or is it just mine just working part time?

Any suggestions before I contact Hema?

Cheers all
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:30

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:30
I think you have narrowed the problem down nicely.

One thing. Are you sure the Hemas GPS receiver could see the satellites. ie not shielded by the vehicles roof. It would be worth trying different positions whilst faulting to rule this out.

Hema will fire it up in the workshop and find no faults hence return it to you so you need to be able you have tried everything.
AnswerID: 598064

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:52

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:52
Hema is stuck on windscreen with their suction attachment. What i can't understand is that my wife uses the notepad with OzieExplorer sitting on her lap and has less vision to the sats than the Hema ;o((
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

FollowupID: 867185

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 16:45

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 16:45
I have a HN6 and have never experienced a problem with the GPS signal.

I would suggest your HN7 is faulty and would contact Hema support. They will give you a reference number and request you post it to them for checking.
Have owned a HN5 and a HN5i before and always found Hema support to be efficient and professional.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598076

Reply By: My Aussie Travel Guide - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 10:52

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 10:52
When we travelled Oz over 18 months with our GPS navigator, there were a few occasions where we would experience "dead spots" and lose signal. Strangely enough and like you, the Nullabor was one area, as was a couple of spots on Cape York, and the Tanami. We weren't using an HN7 then as this was a while ago.

But we now also have an HN7 so run a couple of navigators at the same time. Both experienced a couple of dead spots in the Gibson Desert last year. I'm no expert, and you could send it back to Hema, but we've come to accept it with all the travelling that we do. It doesn't last long and it isn't a huge inconvenience for us.
AnswerID: 598132

Reply By: maurice b - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 20:31

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 20:31
That would be a system error .Unfortunately it may have the be returned to Hema unless you have a backed up copy of the program. Is it configured correctly?If it was a standard Win ce5/6 tab running Oziexlporer you would simply delete program and reinstall plus configure and this would proberly fix it . Most people choice to buy these under speced overprice units because they work out of the box .The branded Android tabs are way more realiable,superior and ecomonical to purchase.
AnswerID: 598152

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 21:07

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 21:07
Tks maurice b, will send it back as i am not that computer literate, (more like illiterate) ;o((
cheers Ric

FollowupID: 867270

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 11:46

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 11:46
I had a similar problem with a new Hema 5 some years back. The connection was dodgy - if I fiddled with cord it would sometimes work. I phoned Hema and with no fuss they offered to send a new one to a destination with a post office. I nominated the town and when we arrived there was a new Hema and an envelope to return the dodgy one. The new one never missed a beat. All the best. Megan
AnswerID: 598178

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:40

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:40
We recently had trouble with a dash camera losing the satellites. It turned out to be the tinting on the windscreen. It appears that it had some metallic particles in it and they acted like a shield.

So where is the hema mounted. Maybe move it away from the windscreen etc. That may be hard I know but I can't help more than that.

Edit added text:
I should have added that the VMS in the dash has not lost the satellites unless it's in a tunnel etc. The antenna for the VMS is sitting on the top of the dash and right up against the windscreen. The tinting is only across the top and above the eye line.

Phil
AnswerID: 598180

Sponsored Links