Low Cost Overflow Camping Available in Port Hedland for 2016

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:42
ThreadID: 131996 Views:4697 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
The Port Hedland Visitor Centre is happy to advise travellers driving self-contained camper-vans with showers, toilets and waste disposal units that you will be able to stay a maximum of 3 nights at a cost of $ 10 per night at the Port Hedland Racecourse grounds McGregor Street between 1st May and August 31st. Please call at the Visitor Centre, the Civic Centre or see the ranger on site for additional information and to make your payment.

Full Amenity Caravan Parks:

Cook Point Caravan Park - Goode Street Port Hedland Ph: 9173 1271

Blackrock Caravan Park - North Circular Road South Hedland Ph: 9172 3444

Pet friendly Unpowered sites available at The South Hedland Golf Course - Great Northern Highway South Hedland Ph:9172 2046

. We look forward to welcoming you all to Port Hedland throughout 2016
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: eaglefree - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 19:49

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 19:49
Thankyou!!! We will take advantage of that offer. See you mid June. Tony Debbie and Miss Rosie (foxy)
AnswerID: 598090

Follow Up By: Port Hedland Visitor Centre - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:38

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:38
We look forward to seeing you then, safe travels.
FollowupID: 867233

Reply By: Member - johntoyo - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 20:41

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 20:41
Great for Port Headland, a few other local councils have done this and I hope that others will take a notice and see the benefits that flow through to the local taders and community.

Had a great stop recently at Khulin in the Great Southern who have made an investment in their community and it works, where as we would have normally driven straight through.

John.
AnswerID: 598092

Follow Up By: Port Hedland Visitor Centre - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:39

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:39
We hope to see you in Port Hedland, Safe travels.
FollowupID: 867234

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 11:22

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 11:22
Is there a dump point at this $10 site? As well as water and toilets seeing as it is a racecourse. Or is it just a parking spot with no amenities at all? More info please to make it clear...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598104

Follow Up By: Port Hedland Visitor Centre - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:36

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:36
Hi Warrie,

There are no facilities at this overflow location, other than a dump Fresh water can be obtained from Pretty Pool, and you will need to have your own shower and toilets facilities, So you will need to be fully self-contained.
Wishing you safe travels.
FollowupID: 867232

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:07

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:07
Are there public showers at Pretty Pool as well as water? Your visitor centre told me about these last year, and I have not heard that anything has changed.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867238

Reply By: Member - johntoyo - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:14

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:14
They developed this around the middle of last year with what they advertised as 3 dump points?
I saw the councils announcement on another forum, so called them only 3 days ago to confirm it was still available and was told it was closed until the local cv parks reached 50%.
Then the above post arrived. Van needs to be fully contained, so the grey water tank issue comes into play or does a mobile water catchment tank/bucket comply?
No mention of toilets, but then it does say fully self contained vehicles.
Any way, increases the travelling/stopping options which is what is needed.
John
AnswerID: 598110

Follow Up By: Port Hedland Visitor Centre - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:33

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 14:33
Hi John,

We do need to have the caravan parks 50% full before the overflow can be used, however from May-Sept, this is likely to be the case. The low cost area only comes into effect as of May 1st. You will need to be able to collect your grey water, and have your own toilet facilities, as there are none available at the Turf club.
We look forward to seeing you in Port Hedland John. Safe travels
FollowupID: 867231

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:12

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:12
From discussions earlier, I understood that it is about removing the grey water to the dump point, rather than being about the equipment used to collect it. So long as people know what is expected, they can choose to stay or move on accordingly.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867239

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 16:20

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 16:20
Thanks for the 'heads up' this year - missed out last year when we booked ahead into an extremely crowded CP.

A number of us will be passing through July/August on the way back to Wyndham for the races and the Centenary '30 year reunion'.

Looking forward to a big 'catch up' with past & present residents.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 598113

Follow Up By: Port Hedland Visitor Centre - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:37

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:37
Hi Phil,

Sounds like you are in for a great road trip this, year. We look forward to welcoming you to Port Hedland in July]August.
Safe travels.
FollowupID: 867307

Reply By: Member - WBS - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 11:43

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 11:43
When we arrived in Port Hedland a few years ago, the Cook Point CP was full. So was the Black Rock Tourist Park, so we were directed to another CP in South Hedland that I won't name because they may have renovated the place or bulldozed it since the, which was probably a cheaper option. That CP was an absolute disgrace and for $45 per night, which was a lot at the time. There were no shower heads in the showers, very few toilets were operating. Worst CP I've been in, so the idea of an overflow can only be a help.

Next time I'll spend more time in Port Hedland as we didn't give the place a chance to grow on us.
WBS
AnswerID: 598136

Follow Up By: Port Hedland Visitor Centre - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 10:58

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 10:58
Hi, Thank you for this information.
The caravan park opposite the airport is undergoing renovation, and will a variety of accommodation needs, including site for travellers. Aat this stage the works are still in progress.
Please call into the Visitor Centre should you be calling into Port Hedland, and we can advise you of your options for staying in town.
Port Hedland has gone through some amazing changes over the past few years, and we can offer all travellers, a variety of things to see and go.
Wishing you well on your future travels.
FollowupID: 867374

Reply By: gelatr - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 21:58

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 21:58
Last time we were in Port Hedland we were refused entry into the Cook Point CP because we were there a few minutes late. The reception was open and they had places (they even said so) as it was late in the season, but there was no way they were going to let us enter. Our experience with the receptionist was she would go down as the rudest most inhospitable person we have ever dealt with in our Australian and world travels (and I've been to places in Europe and Russia where rudeness is an art form).

We made our way around the town looking for alternatives, including a hotel the quoted us some ridiculous amount for very basic accommodation, and the other CP looked very dodgy and over run. We would have stayed at the other park but we could not find a manager. In the end we gave up and hit the road and found a wayside stop about 45 minutes out of town.

It was in the middle of the mining boom when we were there last, although, we always thought that this sort of attitude would come back to bite them. We loved this trip, but some caravan park managers were not good ambassadors for Australian tourism ( I thought Port Hedland took out the top prize) - we heard so many "unhappy camper" stories on the road where travellers had encountered similar experiences - many were overseas travellers - not good.). I think some business owners/managers forget that times won't always be booming and it won't always be okay to treat people like crap.

Good luck with the overflow area. I wish it was available when we were there last -it would have saved us a hair raising drive at night dodging Roos to find somewhere to camp. Knowing it's there might make us more inclined to put Port Hedland back on the itinerary when we are over in the West next time.
Cheers Geoff
AnswerID: 598158

Follow Up By: Port Hedland Visitor Centre - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:33

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:33
Hi Geoff,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the Caravan Park here in Hedland.
Cook Point caravan Park has been taken over by Discovery Parks, and we are working closely with both parks regarding the overflow area available at the Turf Club. Hopefully one day you can return to the area, and we can showcase what an amazing part of Western Australia we have hear. Wishing you well on any further travels
FollowupID: 867305

Follow Up By: gelatr - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 19:01

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 19:01
Thanks for responding.

I actually would very much like to visit Port Hedland when we return to the west for another visit. Unfortunately due to work commitments, that just seem to be getting worse, it'll be a few years away.

I hope the overflow area works well for the visitors to your town as it should alleviate some of the issues that travellers like myself were having due to the mining boom. It's a great idea and hopefully it'll work to diversify the Port Hedland economy a little with the extra visitors to the area.

All the best.

Geoff
FollowupID: 867325

Sponsored Links