Diamantina River current status

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 04:24
ThreadID: 132006 Views:3084 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested in the current state of the Diamantina, from the headwaters & down to Goyders Lagoon.

Is it still collecting water from March rains?
Where is the flood front of those waters?
How does it rate in terms of previous floods?
Does it have water along all of its length?

Bob Y, this may be a question for you !

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 06:23

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 06:23
G'day Rick,

Ha ha, your timing is perfect! I did the first mail run to Davenport for 4 weeks on Friday.

Not sure where flood peak is now, but I'd suggest it may be down around Durrie, Rick. There's just a trickle under the bridge at Old Cork, and Flynn, one of rangers at the Lakes said it's still too wet, muddy that is, to cross there, on way to Boulia.

Flood at Brighton Downs would be about "average". Think BOM may have classed it as minor, but it didn't cross the road at the Mt Windsor mail box. There seems to have been some big rain around Davenport area, so it may have increased in status from there. Pretty sure there's been a run right from head waters, south of Kynuna.

Sorry I'm a bit brief Rick, but just getting ready for work. :-(

Regards,
Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598125

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:07

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:07
Further to the above, I did stop once for a Kodak moment. This spot is a bit of a favourite of mine, coming onto the Mayne Range from the north. Taken on the flood plain where Gum Ck meets the Diamantina. Lake Billyer is about 500M to the east of this spot.

Met up with some fishermen from Lightning Ridge, near Davenport, on their way to Diamantina Lakes to chase a few Yellowbelly and some yabbies. They'd pulled up as the bloke in the 80 series was having front diff problems. They ended up removing the front drive shaft.

They said the road up through Palparrarra past Davenport, had some really bad washouts, as did the road between Davenport & The 'Lakes. Steady, steady would be the best speed at the moment.

The River Road, north of Mayne River, and up to Old Cork is in good to excellent condition. The Cork Mail Road, from Old Cork past New Cork, is good. Road up to Lark Quarry, and back to Winton, along Winton-Jundah Road is also good, at the moment.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867290

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:05

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:05
Rick,

Heard a report on local ABC radio this morning, "the flood peak is at/approaching(can't remember which word they used?) Durrie......."

Be a few more weeks before it's at Birdsville?

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867498

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 21:09

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 21:09
A graph here Rick. Not much flow this wet season.
Go here to see the Birdsville levels.....W https://www.waterconnect.sa.gov.au/Systems/SiteInfo/Pages/Default.aspx?site=A0020101&period=DAILY#Real-Time Data Plot
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598155

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:11

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 10:11
Good one, Warrie.

Really needs a 5M flood to be a real benefit, and the 6M plus events were always something to write home about. :-)

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867291

Sponsored Links