Anyone been into Collier Range W.A. ?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 21:28
ThreadID: 132015 Views:4274 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi wanting to know about Collier Range on the way to Newman ?Can it be accessed by 4wd and anything of interest to see thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 23:27

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 23:27
Very little info on it Lux. I saw no way into it when we passed. Of the threads here, there is only one in which Willem says there is a station track going through it.Ron and Viv Moon say similar.

"Only a couple of little used tracks access the park, the easiest for travellers to use being the track that leads to Tangadee homestead, which lies north of the park."

And from member Pictours

"The Collier Range N/P is as previously stated an undeveloped park but stunningly beautiful place in all respects, the fact that it has remained virtually un heralded may well be it's saving grace, there are many places within the park that justify visitation, along the lines of Rudall River National Park, which has no man made facilities but it has remarkable natural features.

The Collier Range N/P has scant internal tracks and what are there are not two wheel drive vehicle suitable."

You could try DPaW but you will probably told it is not accessible. You could try finding who owns Tangadee Station. If you do have any luck, please come back and update this thread to help others in the future.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598162

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 00:24

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 00:24
thanks M.Hen,I actually saw you on another forum re this Park. Wondering have you been out to Karlamilyi N.P. up past Newman.Formally Rudall River N.P. and whats busiest time in around Pilbara .Been there years ago had Karinjini N.P. all to myself but can not remember time of year..cheers
FollowupID: 867278

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 08:37

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 08:37
No we haven't Lux. With our big rig, it is not really suitable. I had considered it as a possible detour when going from Marble Bar to Alice Springs. When our son was based in the Pilbara, I thought we could take a 'camping trip' from there some time, but then he went FIFO. Our other son and family went through on their way home from the Kimberley last year, and I have yet to talk to them about it and see their photos.

Most would tour in the Pilbara in the cooler months. Even in May we had hot days at Karijini, and May June would be the only months we have been in or through the Pilbara.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867283

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 04:08

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 04:08
Tried many years back and it as has been said spectacular looking but there weren't many tracks and it was thick and heavily overgrown country.

Must try again one day but have been distracted by the desert country much further east.

An amusing incident (amusing to me anyway) occurred while we tried to poke around out there. A fellow traveller had to get a spare tyre down off his troopy's roof track and found it had been staked by an overhead stake. Talk about rotten luck.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 598164

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 09:39

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 09:39
Hi Phil B wow thats a good one flat on roofrack.I will be carrying spare on roofrack too.
Have you been out to Rudall River N.P. and can it be accessed from Newman. And is there route through to Alice Springs .I posted that question here ..
FollowupID: 867285

Reply By: Rainman WA - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:48

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:48
You can access Rudall River via the Marble Bar Road north of Newman. The turn off to Rudall River is about 50 kms up the Marble Bar Road from Gt Northern Highway and will eventually take you to the Billinooka Road and then onto the Talawana Track. Its pretty isolated with no facilities but there is plenty of info on Exploroz, which sounds like you should spend a bit of time going through if your unsure how to get there.

As for access through to Alice Springs I guess its possible, but quite a hike. Rudall River is my favourite location and I'm always envious of anyone I hear who is heading out there. I haven't been there since 2009 :-(
AnswerID: 598181

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 21:52

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 21:52
Thanks Rainman W.A. hope I can make it there on my trip around Oz..Just wondering how tough on vehicle. I haven't been anywhere since 07.And did Gibb River Rd back in 1997 and its my favourite place I have ever seen in Oz,But I hear it has changed a lot...
FollowupID: 867343

Sponsored Links