AutoFridge Eutectic - Repair Options

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:16
ThreadID: 132022 Views:8839 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well unfortuantly my trusty Autofridge Eutectic 73l in the camper trailer is no longer working, understand the business is no longer operating and looking at options for repairs. I already have a 40l engel which is for the car but love the performace of the Eutectic and am hoping it is salvageable.

The electrics are all fine so suspect the issue is with a leaking pipe. Can any one suggest any fridge mechanics in the Newcastle/Hunter region worth taking it to OR any other fridge mechanics further afield (regularly travel to Mudgee/Canberra).
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:03

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:03
Suggest you do a search on this site, Rog, as Autofridge questions come up occasionally. Just did a search myself and got 10-15 "hits".

Use search function at top of index page,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598182

Follow Up By: Rog Ramjet - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:36

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 13:36
Bob Y.,

Had a look through the archived posts for both Autofridge and Eutectic before posting, however the only relevant posts I found were before they closed up shop and for Adelaide and Perth, with the content either no longer relevant or interstate.

The challenges is "regular" fridge mechanics will put it in the to hard or not worth it pile due to the gel wall structure in the auto fridge, hence the post looking for fridge mechanic relevant to my current area.

Have also done general searches over other forums for both Autofridge and Eutectic but was unable to find the data I was looking for.

Have done a general look at fridge mechanics in the hunter region but it is sometimes hard finding a relevant mechanics and is often better if someone is able to recommend a person they have had a good relevant experience with.

Regards,
Rog
FollowupID: 867306

Reply By: silvercruiser03 - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 16:44

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 16:44
The original manufacturer has ceased trading and has passed ownership of the name to ...

http://www.intelliquip.com.au/products/autofridge/

The new owner of the brand name is developing a replacement and according to the above website is not " currently in a position to provide Autofridge repairs".

It is worth a look at the website to see what the plans are.

However, that wording leaves a possible opening for repairs in the future if we owners of the original are lucky.

AnswerID: 598188

Follow Up By: Rog Ramjet - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 17:03

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 17:03
Silvercrusier,

Thanks for that, I have previously viewed their website but had missed the "currently" wording. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Still interested if anyone knows of good fridge person, would like it fixed (if possible) earlier rather than later.

Regards,
Rog
FollowupID: 867317

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 20:42

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 20:42
Rog

I don't know anything about that specific brand, but most cruising yacht fridges are Eutectic.
As you are on the coast, suggest you start asking around at some of the yacht club slipways around Newcastle/ Pt Stephens

Mark
AnswerID: 598194

Reply By: PhilD - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 22:52

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 22:52
If stuck, I could give you the name of the guy who has fixed my Autofridge a couple of times in Adelaide, including topping up the glycol solution in the walls, given it was almost 20 years old. The cost of freight to Adelaide and back would not be prohibitive.
AnswerID: 598200

Follow Up By: maurice b - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 11:46

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 11:46
A fews year back my Quirks Eutectic Autofridge developed a leak . I send it back to Quirks in Sydney .The line in the gycol had corroded and for quoted $700 to repair.Ended up buying a replacement fridge that had a German danfoss compress with a manual non electronic thermostat. Nowdays there is gas available that contains a sealant to block those slow leaks on regas
FollowupID: 867383

Reply By: sweetnam - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 12:44

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 12:44
There is a fantastic place near Blacktown in Sydney as an option - Alternate Gas and Fridge have helped me numerous times
AnswerID: 598233

Sponsored Links