Top End Accommodation

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 18:13
ThreadID: 132232 Views:2254 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling to Darwin and Kakadu in August and would like to know some of the better caravan parks.

Can anyone recommend any in that area who have stayed there recently? Also - is that likely to be a busy time to visit?

We have a 19'6" off-road van and would like to visit Litchfield. Is that likely to be a problem in terms of rig size?

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 18:56

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 18:56
There is a reasonable van park at Batchelor and the nicest one at Jabiru is Lakeview ( not beside a lake ) but it was really good It is only a small park with about 24 ensuite sites Is where the dongas were when they built Jabiru apparently
http://www.lakeviewkakadu.com.au/pages/Types.html

Get some quiches at the bakery at Jabiru. Best we have ever had
Is the season in August so best to book ahead
AnswerID: 599157

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 21:00

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 21:00
yes, but sadly up for sale :-(
The bakery that is
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868399

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 23:27

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2016 at 23:27
The Aurora Lodge and C/V park in Jabiru is great and Lyndon don't stress, unfortunately for Irwin the bakery won't be sold anytime soon.

FollowupID: 868452

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 20:48

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 20:48
We chose the Parks camp grounds through Kakadu but if you need caravan parks, save travelling by moving around. Cooinda (Yellow Waters) is popular, I cannot comment on which is best at Jabiru, then there is the the Aurora Kakadu along the Arnhem Highway. The is also camping at the Mary River roadhouse near the Park entrance via the Kakadu Highway.

When we went to Litchfield, we based ourselves at the bush style Litchfield Safari Camp on the Western side of the park which was well placed for driving all around the park. It was nothing fancy, but the bush style suited us. We could not get a place for a big rig in the Wangi Falls Parks camping but liked where we went better anyway. The main road through Litchfield is wide and sealed. Where ever you stay, take day trips without towing to all the features.

No up to date experience on Darwin.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 599163

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 20:59

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 20:59
If planning to stay at Cooinda(best showers I've ever.......almost) don't bother to book. It's first in, best dressed, and can be busier than AFL grand final day through the season.

Plenty of unpowered sites, not that far from the amenities, but don't think they have a wealth of powered sites. Couple of our kids worked there for a number of years.

Worth going on a cruise on Yellow Waters if you have the time.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868348

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:37

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:37
That is pretty spot on old Bob, I can say that now as you let on your age.
FollowupID: 868393

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:52

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:52
Hi garytee, you will have no trouble with your size van at Litchfield, only issue will be how many others are there ! It can be busy and last year quite a few were pulled up on the roadside waiting for people to move out.
I would stay in the NP, we went to the mentioned CP and it was the pits.
A good source of info on accom. is Badgers Caravan Park reports.
Ken
AnswerID: 599175

Follow Up By: Geoff K4 - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:31

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:31
+ 1 for Litchfield park, sometimes difficult to find a spot, be early, a great place to stay. Cheap. Plus all of the swimming holes and attractions nearby. Hopefully the kiosk has been rebuilt.
Geoff
FollowupID: 868392

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:43

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 19:43
Darwin - Hidden Valley CP. Modern. Easy access to Tiger Brennan Drive, which goes to the city, without all the traffic lights and stops of the highway route. You may get some noise from airforce planes if they are playing war games at the time.
Further out, but also pleasant, is Howard Springs CP, near Humpty Doo. Nice pool, rustic setting.
Litchfield - suggest the park at the western side as it is much more convenient to explore the main sights. The parks at Batchelor are more modern, etc, but further to drive each day - and don't underestimate how much there is to see and do in Litchfield. The NP campground at Wangi is very popular - I don't know how big their sites are.
The visitor peak is starting to tail off a bit in August, but wise still to phone ahead and book for Darwin parks when you can be clear of your arrival date.
AnswerID: 599191

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 21:03

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 21:03
Just be mindful that the Hidden Valley CP sites are VERY VERY small.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868400

Sponsored Links