Tinny for FNQ

Submitted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 12:27
ThreadID: 132285 Views:2805 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day : We are heading to Cape York via lawn hill from SA mid this year and are thinking would it be worth taking a 3m tinnie ?
So would there be enough places to make it worth while with no big bitties ??? cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 12:33

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 12:33
Yes, yes and YES! I took my Porta-Bote with a 5hp outboard and used it many times. It is the difference between having a good trip and having a fantastic trip. Crabbing and fishing at Cooktown, cruising the river at Lakefield, fishing the inlets at Weipa, trolling at Pennefather etc. Just be aware of crocs (what did Howard say.. alert but not alarmed). Do it. (my Port-Bote was 3.6m).
AnswerID: 599396

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 13:31

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 13:31
You have to expect snappy handbags anywhere north of Rockhampton, but with sensible precautions thousands fish & crab up that way in smallish boats with no drama.
Remember in the far north various toothy creatures come hundreds of km inland.

Just remember ..... in the far north the run of tide can be pretty big ..... so running as much outboard power as the hull will handle is advisable.
15hp on a 3 meter tinny seems to be normal up that way.

power would not be as much of a problem in the inland.

cheers
AnswerID: 599399

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 18:55

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 18:55
Nick,
Definitely don't be underpowered if in areas with large tidal race. If you don't have an O/b yet, Tohatsu 18hp is same weight or lighter than many 15s, but with noticeably more grunt without penalty.
You can find trouble very quickly, and it pays to have a bit up your sleeve.
Otherwise take right precautions and enjoy.
Check NT CROCWISE website.

Cheers, Bob
FollowupID: 868638

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 20:44

Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 20:44
I'm also a yes person but you didn't mention how long you're going for or where you plan to visit. We have found a trip with a tinnie has always been so much better then one without. The thing to remember is that taking a boat is a bit of work to set up and pack up and generally we have used a four day minimum to make it worthwhile.

My best trip to the Cape with a dedicated trip to Cape Melville and the tinnie was just superb, caught some great fish and used it as transport along the beach. The tinnie just added so much more to a great destination.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 599420

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 19:43

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 19:43
A 3 tinnie, on those northern rivers, NO WAY , I guess you don't know about the bloke that got taken from his tinnie in Kakadu , I wouldn't go out in anything less that the photo below showing higher sides.

This could be the same boat ramp the bloke was taken , at Yellow Water Billabong

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 599443

Sponsored Links