Thanks to Willem & Grampian Tour

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 23:14
ThreadID: 13229 Views:2162 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
First of all thanks to Willem for the information regarding the roads b/w White Cliffs and Cameron Corner. The boys and I had a great week, relaxed, saw some beautiful country (my first time in the outback) and met some very nice people. I got 13.7l per 100km out of the 3.0 GU patrol fully loaded with an off road camper behind.

Now to my next request - the wife and I are going on a shake down cruise with the new Tambo camper for the queens birthday weekend Fri - Mon and decided the Grampians might be the go - any suggestions regarding must sees etc would be greatly appreciated. We are happy to move each day or plant it if we find a nice spot and dont mind a bit of hard work to get to a place.

Thanks again for your help. I will become a member soon, I hate the thought of missing out on all the gossip that goes on here - I have to have a daily fix of the forum.

Thanks all

Mac and Jen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:01

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:01
No worries mate.....Glad you had a good trip.

Why don't you come up to Berri on the Long Weekend and meet lots of forumites on the sandbar. Des Lexik is organising it and he isn't a bad bloke at all. In fact there is a cute pic of him and his missus in his Rig Pic :-D

Cheers
AnswerID: 60559

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:34

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:34
mac and jen, your more than welcome to come along. click on my rig pic and e-mail me and I'll send directions to you.

Willie, I didn't know you cared so much about me.
I'm going to crap you off shortly with the Friday Frivolities so don't read em.
FollowupID: 322144

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:59

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:59
Hey Des,

What is it with bored Public Servants and Bank Managers? Once you start the house wives get in to act as well.....groannnnnnnnnn !

Post something original will ya.

I'll reserve furtther comments for the LWE
FollowupID: 322149

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 14:40

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 14:40
I'll see what I can come up with about patrols then.
FollowupID: 322197

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 11:56

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 11:56
Just typed a lengthy email for you on the Grampians & it disappeared into cyberspace.Heres a brief version:
Dont shop in Halls Gap for food Groceries, most expensive in Australia.
See: Boroka lookout, Reeds Lookout, Lake Wartook, take track from McKenzie Falls(must see) Chinamans Track to Roses Gap Rd then back to Wartook via main rd then right into Asses Ears Rd just inside the Nat Park. A few kms along turn left up Wallaby Rocks Rd & near the top if you are careful you may find a small walk track on the left which takes U 200m to a radar reflector on a high rock with great views.
Press on to Roses Creek Rd then down south to Moora Reservoir. Camping there.
From there south to Victoria Valley Rd to beautiful Dunkeld. Pub, camping, store.
Back via Grampians Rd 32km to rh turn Jimmy Creek Rd to Mafeking gold fields. Worth a look.
Back to Halls Gap via Wonderland Range Rd on left. More walks & views.
Many good bush camps thru the Gramps but dont take your trailer along
Chinamans Tk or Wall Rocks RD. There are a few 4wd challenges if you look for them. This just scratches the surface of what you can see over many visits.
Enjoy!
AnswerID: 60593

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 15:20

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 15:20
I concurr completely, especially about shopping in Halls Gap.. & dont forget the winter woolies...It tends to get brisk in the Grampians in winter
FollowupID: 322201

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 13:31

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 13:31
Park your trailor at Hall gap and base yourself out from there.

Most Tracks if open are not suitable for trailors.

Correct about the groceries blood y dear in Halls Gap.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 60612

Reply By: macandjen - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 19:21

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 19:21
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Would love to come to Berri but may have reasons to return to Melbourne in a hurry so do not want to be too far away. Hopefully we can meet some other time. Have a great weekend.

Mac and Jen
AnswerID: 60686

Sponsored Links