Strezlecki Track

Hi All,

We are travelling from Lyndhurst to Innamincka along the Strezlecki early July and I'm looking for recommended camp sites, things to see and possible route variations. Any assistance from all you seasoned travellers would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
Lou
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 19:47

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 19:47
Travelled up that way last October, Lou. Fuelled up at roadhouse in Lyndhurst, got a couple of toasties, and headed off. Interesting scenery most of the way, and while I wasn't looking for camps, there's a few there.

Montecollina Bore is a good spot, and would be much better in July than it was in Oct!!! I got to the viewing area just south of Moomba late afternoon, and thought it might be a fair camp, almost in civilisation. On closer inspection, the amount of toilet paper flapping around turned me off, and I kept going for 5-10km, and pulled off the road to the right, and camped on a clear spot, about 100M off the road.

Towards Innamincka, you get into sandhill country again, so sure to be odd spot to camp. A lot of roads leading off over sandhills, but these lead to gas sites so are"closed". Think most people camp down on the Cooper, once they get to Innamincka. I just stopped to fuel up & have a shower($2.00), so didn't check out the camp.

Further along, where the highway crosses the Cooper, there's sure to be a camp or two there. Not aware of any restrictions about camping.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599824

Follow Up By: lou_r - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 19:54

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 19:54
Thanks Bob
Is Lyndhurst to Innaminka doable in a day taking in Arkaroola ?
FollowupID: 869094

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 20:36

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 20:36
Haven't been to Arkaroola, Lou, but I'd suggest it would be worth overnighting there.

Suppose if you left Leigh Ck early, and went via Arkaroola, you could do Innamincka in a day. Don't think it would be too enjoyable.......bit of a case of "pedal to the metal". And Strezlecki can be a bit ordinary, though they seem to do a lot of upkeep on it. There's numerous bitumen sections, but they won't reduce your travel times by much.

When I travelled it, on second day, it only took a couple of hours to get to Innamincka. I stopped numerous times for Kodak moments, and rarely got over 90kph for the whole trip. Need to be cautious as there's constant traffic, and probably even worse with tourists in the area. Few crests that could be "interesting" if you weren't keeping left.

Your call I'd say, Lou.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869098

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 21:16

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 21:16
I guess you could do Lyndhurst Innamincka via Arkaroola in a day ... if you had a helicopter ... or left very early and travelled very fast. Seeing Arkaroola that way would be like driving through a town and saying you've seen it.

Arkaroola is certainly worth a day or two but IMO you would go from Leigh Ck to Arkaroola then out via the Mt Hopeless Rd. It joins the Strzelecki just south of the Cobbler. Montecolina Bore is a good place to stay then an pretty easy day from there to Innamincka checking out the desert as you go.
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 869101

Follow Up By: lou_r - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 21:37

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 21:37
Thank you that sounds like a much better option :)
FollowupID: 869104

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 07:12

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 07:12
It's also very isolated and unless work has been done, the intersection of Balcanoona - Mt Hopeless at the Strezlecki end is quite a bog after rain.

That brings up the constant refrain. Just of bit of rain sees those roads closed so have plan B.

And a search here will throw up lots of items of interest on the Strez. There are some posts and blogs by regulars that are very informative.
FollowupID: 869113

Follow Up By: Member - Young Nomads - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 17:52

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 17:52
Hi guys.

Absolutely no problems with that distance...easy drive.

Approx 6 careful hours from Moomba to Lyndhurst...About the same from

Moomba to Arkaroola...add a couple of hours from Innaminka.

I've driven from South of Adelaide to Moomba in one day, a couple of times now...but that's by myself and quite a few coffee breaks (and toilet spots LOL)

Towing a TVan, but not speeding...it did take 17 hours though ...

If you have to stop for "kiddy breaks"..yes longer, but do able.

As others have said..Montecollina Bore (very popular)..plenty of creek crossings to hide out at..Strez creek crossing has a few hidy holes..
Cheers
Robyn

FollowupID: 869152

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 20:52

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 20:52
Good camp spots near bridge over Coopers Creek .Might have some visiters .I had a couple curious beef cattle check me out..Along Strez should be plenty spots to camp not sure if can still camp Bollards Lagoon other members may know.Things to see well suppose its Desert and thats interesting..
AnswerID: 599825

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 08:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 08:02
The series of excellent Westprint Heritage Maps includes the iconic outback drives...there is one on the Strzelecki. Lots of info on the back re points of interest and historic events. Stuart Nicol has a book on the SA Outback...includes the Flinders...also excellent. Think I got my resources from the RAA but available widely I'd guess...as for time...take plenty if you can...the northern Flinders, the Cooper ?...great outback experiences !
AnswerID: 599837

Reply By: dad1340 - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 09:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 09:02
Hi Lou,
Arkaroola needs 3 - 4 nights not a drive through. We want forget our stay being the only ones at the resort. We were taken up in a LC to Sillers Peak by Reg Sprigg who is a living encyclopaedia of the region.

If you end up fuelling up at Leigh Creek drop into Copley for their Quandong Tarts and cream with a coffee.

After all your on holidays, take it easy.

Cheers

dad
AnswerID: 599842

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 09:37

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 09:37
Agree, Ark is worth a night or 3 for sure.

Regs' kids are doing a good job of keeping the place going, Doug is a great pilot and a flight with him if time permits is worth it.
He has picked up up from 2 walks in the region, once from Mt Hopeless strip on the Strz Tk, and once form Cameron Corner.

The observatory and stargazing nights are worth a look if running at the time, beaut clear skies :)

Shame the Copley Bakery closed, the Quondong pies and other fare were great.
FollowupID: 869118

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 10:06

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 10:06
Hey Dad,
Your visit to Sillers Peak must have been some time ago.
Reg Sprigg is no longer a living encyclopaedia. He died in 1994.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 869121

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 10:13

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 10:13
Yeah a legend old Reg, really want to get to Geosurveys Hill next month to reflect on his life / outback adventures, but access is now clouded with new permit restrictions.
If you can get a hold of the biography Rock Star by his ex DIL, Kristin Weidenbach, it is a great read.
FollowupID: 869122

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 11:01

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 11:01
Your'e right Les,
'Rock Star' is a great read and reveals the vital part that reg played in the discovery and development of geology and oil & gas in South Australia. It also highlights his devotion to conservation in the Flinders Ranges and his foundation of Arkaroola Wildlife Sanctuary.
Maybe of particular interest to ExplorOz members is that Reg drove the very first vehicle across the Simpson Desert.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 869128

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 12:18

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 12:18
Yes Reg was my school teachers mate so lucky to go on camp trip to Arkaroola ..Even bought a piece of uranium back ...
FollowupID: 869132

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 09:51

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 09:51
Lou, from Lyndhurst you are too far past Arkaroola to be practical to visit, but if you went to Ark first and then up the back via Moolwatana station to exit Mt Hopeless (abandoned) station, it is possible to go this way no problems (unless wet as mentioned elsewhere).
Of course then you should fill up Leigh Ck as this would be your last reasonable price fuel.

Another really good little track is the one from Moolawatana down via Mt Fitton Ruins / Mt Feeling, comes back to the Strz Tk about 78km north of Lyndhurst.
Just a nice detour if it can be fitted in.
AnswerID: 599845

Follow Up By: lou_r - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 20:48

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 20:48
So if we leave from Leigh Creek to Arkaroola then exit Mt Hopeless as mentioned back onto the Strz Tk to Innamincka that should work barring any wet weather?

FollowupID: 869167

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 21:03

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 21:03
Yep, a good route :)
You can take a nice back loop into Arkaroola off the main road too.
At Mt Searle turnoff to the north (opposite Angepena Stn) head up via Yankaninna, Umberutana, traverses mostly NE, then goes SE into the Arkaroola valley to the village.
FollowupID: 869171

Follow Up By: lou_r - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 21:23

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 21:23
Thank you very much appreciated :)
FollowupID: 869174

Reply By: ian.g - Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 12:37

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 12:37
If you in Lyndhurst and have a couple of hours to spend drop into "Talc Alf's" establishment, always good for a few stories on how the country should be run and how your name was derived.
AnswerID: 599855

Sponsored Links