Corners everywhere

Submitted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 18:56
ThreadID: 132391 Views:3891 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
There is all this talk about going to Camerons Corner, Poeppels Corner etc but has anyone gone to the corner of NSW, SA and Vic. I have never heard anyone talk about it, is it possible. Yes I know it may be in the middle of a river.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 19:36

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 19:36
Here's a previous post about this you might like to check out some good info Thread ID 89366
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599930

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 19:38

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 19:38
Have look at these previous threads

SA/Vic border history

Border point of NSW, Vic and SA
AnswerID: 599931

Follow Up By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 21:07

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 21:07
Thanks for that Rod, as it made for an interesting re-read of Doug's SHP article again.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 869251

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 22:05

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 22:05
that is Camerons Corner
mechpete
AnswerID: 599936

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 23:01

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 23:01
Hi Pete

Your out by a lot shot.

That's where SA, NSW and Queensland Borders meet.

Sounds like another case of you Victorians trying to make your state even bigger.....lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869262

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 22:13

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 22:13
James
It is called Mac Cabe corner a fact I recon a lot of people didn't know, me included.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599938

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:53

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 10:53
Gday Murray
We should do it one weekend
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 869279

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 23:16

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 23:16
Hi James

You have now set me a challenge for when we are next up in the Riverland.

I have done quite a bit of poking around that area over the years and have been to the point where SA and Victoria meets just south of the old Customs House.

I know that the tri border position is closer to get to from Higgins Cutting, but I know there are tracks further north on the western side of the Murray that may get you even closer if trying to get there by boat or kayak.

Without going there myself, both the South Australian and Victorian sides are both National Parks, while NSW would be private land.

Thanks for bringing this up and I now look forward to the challenge of getting there by kayak.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599940

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 03:41

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 03:41
Up around Border Cliffs / Custom House you'll find the SA / VIC border out in the middle, not sure if this corner even has a name ??

Then the SA / NSW / VIC border is further east about 5.73km.
Location 34o01.266'S 141o00.154E . . . I think this is McCabe Corner ?

A launch from Customs House boat ramp might be easiest :)
FollowupID: 869264

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 08:34

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 08:34
Hi Les

We have paddled in the Riverland over countless years, and for us it is the just the best location to do so.

The maker from the Border Cliffs/Old Customs House for Victoria and South Australia is only a short paddle from there. If you launch from the Customs House site, it will be a long return paddle to get to the tri state location, where as if you launch from the public boat ramp at Higgins Cutting ( not many people would ever know its there, not unless you are locals ) would only require a very short paddle. Have you ever heard of Higgins Cutting?

I have not explored north of Higgins Cutting, but there are lots of tracks heading north through the scub the could even get you a lot closer to launch a kayak. Check out the EO Map and look for Higgins Cutting and you will see that it is very close compared to a lot longer launch from the Customs House.

Also do not take any notice of the icon and image on the EO Map of the Customs House not far from Higgins Cutting, which is not in the correct location and not even in the right image. I have sent Michelle a message about this, so again local knowledge of any area is critical to getting all places in correct locations.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869267

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:04

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 09:04
Ta Stephen, so from Higgins you'd paddle west along the river about 5km to reach that corner by the looks . . . much better than from Customs House for sure, probably nearly 3x as far from there !!

So the tri border is MacCabe, or is it SA / VIC ?
I'm not 100% sure . . . actually just asked Mr Google, he told me :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australian_borders#MacCabe_Corner

Ok, does the VIC SA corner have a name ?
Not according to the same Wiki article.
FollowupID: 869268

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 14:07

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 14:07
Hi Les

If you are interested in heading out to Higgins Cutting, please let me know so I can send you a track file, as like many tracks in that area, both in the Murray Sunset National Park and other great spots in the area, they are not signposted.

There are 2 way to get there, either through Lindsay Point, again not signposted and you have to know what track to take, or the way we go from Paringa. Head out on the Murtho Road and then at the right spot, again not signposted head east on a great dirt road, cross over into Victoria and then a sharp turn, again not signposted and it will get you there. As for a name at the SA/Victorian Junction, I do not think it has a name.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869290

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 15:04

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 15:04
Ta Stephen, I've been through Lindsay Is a bit, think I could find Higgins ok.
Have done Border Track and other loops up that way around MSNP / Neds / Meringur etc, it's an interesting area.
I have a mate with kayaks and I could plan a trip with him sometime to do this, I used to do fair bit down the Coorong, but just hire them.
Hmmm, wonder why the SA / VIC corner is unnamed ?
Maybe there's an opportunity to claim it in the family name !!
FollowupID: 869295

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 15:18

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 15:18
Hi Les

With a little bit of more research, I think you can actually drive quite close to MacCabe Corner ( there is a marker for Victoria and NSW ) but to get to the SA/NSW Border marker, you will have to have access to some sort of water craft, kayak, tinny etc. as that marker is on the other side of the river.

Sounds to me like it is just a good excuse to head back to the Riverland....lol

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869362

Reply By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 18:39

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 18:39
Hi James

Google The 5 Corner Club, give you something to aim for. We have done 4, just the NSW, SA, Vic corner to do.

Len
AnswerID: 599996

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 10:19

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 10:19
I think the unfortunate answer is that no one knows where or if there is a 3 way border.

Because of the way the borders are defined beween NSW and Vic, NSW and SA and SA vic, there is about 13km of no mans land in the Murray.

There are 4 mainstream thoughts and 9 possible answers as to what the answer is, and none can be claimed as right or wrong. It is very interesting.

There is a Book on the subject.

Here is an extract in the SA Law society bulletin about the 3 way border or not!
There is no 3 way location definite answer

Page 6 and on mainly deals with the subject and shows maps of the 9 possibilities. Amazing!!
AnswerID: 600030

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 12:47

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 12:47
Of course !! I have read that the 'dispute' with the Vics about that part they wrongly claimed, that explains the dog leg . . .
Servicetown further south is actually on the border too, the two states split the cost of building / operating that while it was operational (a really nice old building too).
That marries up with the dogleg at MacCabe Corner, if indeed this is the right spot being hailed as MacCabe Corner.
So, technically the 'right' border is at Customs House / Border Cliffs.

Some interesting links . . .

Location on Geoview
Geoview grid coords on Google maps shows it very near Customs House.

Corners map
FollowupID: 869347

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 15:45

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 15:45
Hi Les

The correct location should be at MacCabe Corner, and the one down from the Old Customs House.

Because the original survey was to say...." totally ballsed up ", that is why Charles Todd was employed by the South Australian Government to correct the border survey north of the Murray.

A temporary observatory was set up near the Todd Obelisk , and with astronomical observations and accurate time signals over a nearby telegraph line between Adelaide and Sydney, he was able to accurately the correct position of the 141st Meridian of Longitude, to proclaim the correct position for the State Border.

Todd met with the NSW Government Astronomer, George Smalley and both men accepted the determination, and the now Todd Obelisk was built to mark the correct location. Even with todays modern surveying equipment, Todd"s position is accurate to 100 metres, compared to the stuff up by the Victorian Surveyor that are 3.2 kilometres out.

The rest is all history, so from where I see it, MacCabe Corner should be the true Tri State border marker, and not the marked one for Victoria at the Border Cliffs.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869364

Sponsored Links